American Road Replacement Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: American Road Replacement Set

Post by KeldorKatarn »

it's amazing if only for the fact that it is the only roadset that doesn't break all bridges for me :D
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

With OzTrans' recent departure and unfortunate decision to sabotage his grfs, perhaps I should reconsider my previous stance on not adding dirt roads to ARRS?
Attachments
arrsdirt.png
arrsdirt.png (99.63 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Andrew350 wrote:With OzTrans' recent departure and unfortunate decision to sabotage his grfs, perhaps I should reconsider my previous stance on not adding dirt roads to ARRS?
I would be more than happy to have 'up to date' North American staff to play with!
Now when OzTrans is also fell off from development, its sad to see (as I have put lot of effort into some of these sets) that all these project about N.-A are mainly stopped (if there isn't something done behind the scene). This said I'm still more than happy to help someone with graphics if needed in that part!
Kaiser-NA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kaiser-NA »

Andrew350 wrote:With OzTrans' recent departure and unfortunate decision to sabotage his grfs, perhaps I should reconsider my previous stance on not adding dirt roads to ARRS?
May I ask what grf contains that red truck in the screenshot?

Also,

Yes to dirt roads! Though I mainly play on the Siberia heightmap, I too wish for a complete North America GRF overhaul. But I can't complain since I can't contribute anything besides words, so oh well 8)
Last edited by Kaiser-NA on 19 Oct 2014 18:53, edited 2 times in total.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Kaiser-NA wrote:
May I ask what grf contains that red truck in the screenshot?
That looks like one of the logging trucks from HEQS.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I don't think you'd have any objection to this. :-)

One thing that the former CA/NA Roads NewGRFs did was that in pre-1920 games is not only provided rural dirt roads, but brick-paved city roads. I wouldn't mind seeing a similar option in ARRS.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Yes please, I'd love to get the dirt roads back, as I'm playing a lot of pre-1900 games.
kamnet wrote:One thing that the former CA/NA Roads NewGRFs did was that in pre-1920 games is not only provided rural dirt roads, but brick-paved city roads. I wouldn't mind seeing a similar option in ARRS.
The town roads in CanRoads were red, maybe brick, but I'd like to see grey cobblestone (or rather sett) paved town roads :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hmm, making a sett-paved road at this scale is difficult to say the least. Out of a dozen or so attempts this is my favorite so far, but does it look like what it's supposed to be? Or does it just look like gravel? I keep going back and forth, so I think I need some outside opinion on this one :)
Attachments
cityroads1.png
cityroads1.png (271.33 KiB) Viewed 6115 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I think it looks off because you're including the wear marks on the stones. I think if you aimed for a more regular horizontal pattern across the pavement it would look more like sett. Maybe throw in some browns to make it look like some random clump of dirt rubbed it. It looks nice, though, if you wanted to make gravel maybe throw in a few more white blotches.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

It's absolutely fabulous that you're actually working on this.
kamnet wrote:I think it looks off because you're including the wear marks on the stones.
I agree with kamnet; setts don't get wear marks like that. At most, you'll get slight depressions which would be invisible at this scale.
kamnet wrote:Maybe throw in some browns to make it look like some random clump of dirt rubbed it.
Like horse manure, I presume :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thanks for the feedback :) I went back to my first attempt and reworked it a little bit:
cityroads2.png
cityroads2.png (82.92 KiB) Viewed 6019 times
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

That definitely looks like cobbles, absolutely no doubt about that.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Very very nice, although I think you could soften it up a bit with a little brownish. And the pavements look too light. What were they using for pavements those days?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Andrew350 wrote:Thanks for the feedback :) I went back to my first attempt and reworked it a little bit:
cityroads2.png
I think this looks perfect!
leifbk wrote:Very very nice, although I think you could soften it up a bit with a little brownish. And the pavements look too light. What were they using for pavements those days?
Cement goes back to well before the Roman Empire. Romans used lime and pozzolana. Before Portland cement was invented, it was common in the UK to use lime, potash, gravel and crushed brick.
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

They look perfect, great work!
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

look great so far !

I would also say to add just a few dots of brownish, to make them look a little less clean, and maybe also that cobbles for sidewalk would probably look good.
Netist
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Netist »

I like it!

The dirt looks a bit to bright in my opinion, though, at least on a temperate map.
Lechuza
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lechuza »

nice job! I like it! The dirt does look a little bit to bright, maybe the cobbles for a sidewalk and making the roads all be dirt?

I can't believe I am getting my dirt roads again! awesome!

Return to “Graphics Releases”