Progressive Rail Set v2

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

MinchinWeb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Progressive Rail Set v2

Post by MinchinWeb »

The Progressive Rail Set is a NewGRF that serves to make upgrading of larger, advanced rail systems easier. Assuming a progression of Normal Rail -> Electric Rail -> Monorail -> Maglev -> Vacuum Tube, an engine can now run (unpowered) on the generation of rail before it and run powered on its "normal rail" and the next generation of rail.

If you want to use Vacuum Tube tracks, you'll use a seperate NewGRF to provide them. As a side effect of these changes, you can run Maglev wagons with VacTrain engines.

Code is available on GitHub. Available for download from Bananas (or will be shortly).

Version History
Version 1 [2012-11-03]
* Initial implementation
* Supports normal rails, electrified rails, monorail, maglev and vacuum tube
Version 2 [2013-01-12]
* Coloured railtype

Licence
The Progressive Rail Set is licensed under a Creative Commons-Attribution 3.0
licence.
Attachments
Progressive_Rails_2.tar
Progressive Rail Set v2
(8 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
Last edited by MinchinWeb on 12 Jan 2013 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Alberta Town Names - 1500+ real names from 'Acme' to 'Zama City'
MinchinWeb's Random Town Name Generator - providing 2 million plus names...
WmDOT v13 - An AI that doubles as your highway department
MinchinWeb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Progressive Rail Set v2

Post by MinchinWeb »

I discovered last night that rail types can be coloured, and so I decided to add colours to the set. The hope is that this will be helpful when dealing with large, multi-railtype networks.

Version 2 [2013-01-12]
* Coloured railtypes
Progressive Rails - Coloured Railtypes
Progressive Rails - Coloured Railtypes
Coloured Rails.png (166.98 KiB) Viewed 15377 times
Alberta Town Names - 1500+ real names from 'Acme' to 'Zama City'
MinchinWeb's Random Town Name Generator - providing 2 million plus names...
WmDOT v13 - An AI that doubles as your highway department
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

from what i understand in his post, its already possible to do on trunk, thus nightlies

NuTracks might want to add colored rails as well, helps out A LOT on the map for me
Rohlik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rohlik »

Hello,
thx for this great GFX.
Maybe I found bug. Look at my screenshot, where You can see problem with replace rail to newest rail type.
I can´t upgrade my rail over road without destroy rail crossing. Without Your GFX I can.
Attachments
Rohlikovci, 19. led 2027.png
Rail over roads can´t tranfer
(213.99 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

That's not a bug, it's a feature. This set prohibits building a level road crossings on maglev tracks.
Zoeff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zoeff »

I definitely prefer this mod over the Universal Rail Type NewGRF because it's just so incredibly seamless.
However, with other NewGRF's like 2cc Trains, or NARS combined with RIMS, monorail is re-purposed for something else.

Would it be at all possible to make a version that allows upgrading from Electrified Track straight to Maglev? That would be amazing. :)
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

I have stopped using this extension because it makes the selection of trains for shopping at the depot difficult to understand.
It is not clear on some train sets whether it is a Maglev or Monorail train.
I often use PURR or NUTS sets.
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

How did you make it possible for the track types to be compatible? I'm hoping to make ToyTrax be compatible with both default rails and Early Rail (WGWY, LIHT), but have had no luck.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:How did you make it possible for the track types to be compatible? I'm hoping to make ToyTrax be compatible with both default rails and Early Rail (WGWY, LIHT), but have had no luck.
I don't think the Early Rail topic is here...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:How did you make it possible for the track types to be compatible? I'm hoping to make ToyTrax be compatible with both default rails and Early Rail (WGWY, LIHT), but have had no luck.
I don't think the Early Rail topic is here...
It isn't, but he made it possible to use RAIL on ELRL, ELRL on MONO and MONO on MGLV, so I assume he might be able to help with my issue.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

I think this is done in NewGRFs by modifying the railtype properties: comaptible railtypes and powered rail types

Basically, if you want your railtype "TEST" to be compatible with both normal (RAIL) and electrified rail (ELRL), but want "TEST" engines only to be powered be ELRL, then the lists would be:

Railtype TEST:
Compatible railtypes: RAILELRL
Powered railtypes: ELRL

NFO: with action 0, properties 0E (compatible) and 0F (powered) https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Action0/Railtypes
NML: properties "compatible_railtype_list" and "powered_railtype_list" https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... properties

Documentations of both languages are really helpful. You can also look at the source code of a NewGRF (or decode it with grfcodec if the source is not available), in order to see how other authors did. Hope this helps.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

I´d really like to advise authors to use the Standardized Railtype Scheme to reduce uncontrolled growth of the number of railtype labels.

regards
Michael
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

michael blunck wrote:I´d really like to advise authors to use the Standardized Railtype Scheme to reduce uncontrolled growth of the number of railtype labels.

regards
Michael
ToyTrax are designed to be used in combination with sets like NuTracks, DBRails, North American Rails, AuzTracks, etc. Because of this, TYTX and ELTX are used but the set is best used with a larger track set which uses Standardized Railtypes. As for WGWY and LIHT, Early Rails appears to have been made prior to the existence of the Standardized Railtype Scheme.
Licenses for my work...

Return to “Graphics Releases”