[Univ] GRVTS - Generic Road Vehicles and Trams sets

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

sunkencathedral
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Univ] GRVTS - Generic Road Vehicles and Trams sets

Post by sunkencathedral »

Really love this newGRF, awesome work. :) I have two questions:

1, I decided to play with only passenger vehicles (because the sheer number of cargo vehicles is overwhelming for me!). So I set the available vehicles parameter to "Only passenger vehicles". My thinking was that I'd have the passenger vehicles from eGRVTS and just use the cargo vehicles from the vanilla game. But setting the parameter this way actually seems to completely disable all cargo vehicles from the game (including the vanilla ones). So it becomes impossible to transport cargo at all. Is there any way to enable the eGRVTS passenger vehicles whilst keeping the cargo vehicles from the vanilla game?

2, This is a more broad question about vehicle NewGRFs in general. All the vehicle NewGRFs I've tried seem to actually 'overwrite' the vanilla vehicles. In eGRVTS for example, the eGRVTS buses are added, but the vanilla bus is taken away. In FISH, all the new ships are added but the vanilla ships are taken away. This might just be a fundamental aspect of the way NewGRFs work, so sorry if I'm misunderstanding. If not, is there any way to simply 'add' new vehicles from newGRFs to the overall pool of vehicles, rather than 'replacing' the original ones?

Sorry for the very newbie questions, I'm just trying out GRFs for the first time. I love all these vehicle GRFs, I'm just unsure whether to keep using them because they all add such a large number of vehicles! Can get a bit overhwleming for me in-game. Not to mention that I don't know how to 'save' window sizes - every time I open the 'New Vehicles' window, I have to enlarge the window so I can see all the vehicles. Then the next time I open it, it has shrunk back to minimum size again. Actually, let's make that a question number three! :P

3, Is there any way for the game to 'remember' your resizing of windows (particularly the New Vehicles window), so you don't have to resize it every time you want to buy a new vehicle?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

sunkencathedral wrote:3, Is there any way for the game to 'remember' your resizing of windows (particularly the New Vehicles window), so you don't have to resize it every time you want to buy a new vehicle?
Yes, Ctrl+Click the icon shown when you've resized the window as you like, and whenever it opens again it will be that size.
Attachments
SaveSize.png
SaveSize.png (61.91 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
sunkencathedral
Engineer
Engineer

Supercheese wrote:
sunkencathedral wrote:3, Is there any way for the game to 'remember' your resizing of windows (particularly the New Vehicles window), so you don't have to resize it every time you want to buy a new vehicle?
Yes, Ctrl+Click the icon shown when you've resized the window as you like, and whenever it opens again it will be that size.
Awesome! Thanks so much for answering my question despite its off-topic-ness. :P
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

sunkencathedral wrote:2, This is a more broad question about vehicle NewGRFs in general. All the vehicle NewGRFs I've tried seem to actually 'overwrite' the vanilla vehicles. In eGRVTS for example, the eGRVTS buses are added, but the vanilla bus is taken away. In FISH, all the new ships are added but the vanilla ships are taken away. This might just be a fundamental aspect of the way NewGRFs work, so sorry if I'm misunderstanding. If not, is there any way to simply 'add' new vehicles from newGRFs to the overall pool of vehicles, rather than 'replacing' the original ones?
Not exactly as such, but the OpenGFX+ Trains/Road Vehicles NewGRFs replace the default vehicles of their respective types with tweaks and improved features. And like almost all NewGRF vehicle sets, they'll stack with whatever else you have.
There's no such grf for planes or ships yet AFAIK, but the default sets of those are so limited that I can't see why you'd want them anyway. :P

It's also possible for the grf author to not overwrite the default vehicles or to add an optional parameter for that, but not many do. The graphics styles/prices/running costs/performance usually clash, so not doing so normally leaves you with some set of vehicles that are never the most economic to use in any situation.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
sunkencathedral
Engineer
Engineer

Thanks for the help. The reason I was wanting to keep the original vehicles was because it seemed like a few types of cargo vehicles were missing from eGRVTS (e.g Livestock Van, Iron Ore Truck) and I was thinking I'd need the original/vanilla vehicles if I wanted to transport those types of cargo. But now I see that the idea is you're supposed to refit the flatbed trucks for that, is that right? That would explain why they are 'generic' road vehicles too... Looks like I was a bit slow to catch on there. Sorry for such newb questions...
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

Supercheese wrote:
haha didnt' even see that one :D thx for that tip ^^
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I noticed tonight that the horse-drawn trams don't support many FIRS cargo, but the conventional counterparts do. Any chance this might be fixed in the near future?
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

Actually, any option to disable the horse-drawn vehicles entirely in parameters? I like to play some long games and they tend to kinda get annoying hanging around decades out of use (or up to a century if I turn obsolescence off, since I don't want to lose the more useful HEQS vehicles)

Parameters kinda scare me so I ought to just go check, but just wondering anyway.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Sabre_Justice wrote:Actually, any option to disable the horse-drawn vehicles entirely in parameters? I like to play some long games and they tend to kinda get annoying hanging around decades out of use (or up to a century if I turn obsolescence off, since I don't want to lose the more useful HEQS vehicles)

Parameters kinda scare me so I ought to just go check, but just wondering anyway.
Horse Vehicles: [off]? :roll:

EDIT: Only applies to eGRVTS2. If you're using v1 for some reason, the rolleyes is retracted.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

It's been long enough and I'm dumb enough that it could go either way, but thanks.

I do kinda categorise this set with Av8... I think FISH the ship set as a useful mostly generic vehicle set. While most train sets are based on a particular set of real world trains that I can gather. (besides NUTS)

Kinda find it weird how there's so few road vehicle sets that I can find in relation to trains or even planes (I swear I had a Russian plane set at some point, I think) besides trams and HEQS. I suppose they're less varied and interesting than trains to code and sprite?

EDIT: Oh! While I'm being a smartass, I have the latest version as far as I can tell and there's a typo in the parameters, the option to turn articulated vehicles on or off is missing a 'the'.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Sabre_Justice wrote:I swear I had a Russian plane set at some point, I think.
Yes you did. You've even got one of the last posts in the (English) topic! See here or here (last one will need translating unless you speak Russian - vaguely competent browser will of course do it for you, but just thought I'd warn you!)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Zephyris wrote:Hmmm, strange. Try this download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1994002/grvts32.grf
Zephyris you should probably fix the drop box link on for the 32bpp version of GRVTS, as it leads to an invalid link according to dropbox.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

kamnet wrote:It worked for me.
I'm talking about the drop box link on the first page for the 32 bit version of GRVTS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b46d8vtuz0mz6x3/grvts32.grf

Dropbox says the link isn't well formed or something, giving you an invalid link
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
urosl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by urosl »

Hi! First of all, kudos to you, Zephyris, for everything that you've made thus far. Exceptional work! :bow:
I'd like to incorporate GRVTS into zBase but I'm unable to do it, because the aforementioned link reports a 404 error indeed. Do fix it ASAP, please. ;)

PS: Just found another link in one of the older posts: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1994002/grvts32.grf

I hope it's the latest version. Thanks!

PPS: It's v1.4. :)
Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Manuestaire »

I found out that deactivating horse cars doesn't deactivate horse trams, i guess it should deactivate both cars and trams, otherwise a parameter to disable horse trams would be greatly appreciated.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

urosl wrote:I'd like to incorporate GRVTS into zBase but I'm unable to do it, because the aforementioned link reports a 404 error indeed.
What do you mean that you would like to incorporate GRVTS into zBase? One's a base set and the other's a newGrf. Do you mean you want to grab the 32bpp GRVTS sprites for zBase because they look better?
JDCollie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JDCollie »

Hi, I'm new here, so please be gentle :D

I'm playing OpenTTD v1.4.4 with eGRVTS 2.0-r188, no other NewGRFs installed. I set my starting game year to 1800, but in my new world, the carriages will not load goods at stations. For example, a 2 horse hopper cart will go to a station at an iron mine, but it just sits there with a little ^0% over it. (The carts are set to Full Load Any Cargo at the station.)

Looking at the "reputation" screen, it shows nothing available for pickup, and no reputation rating for my company. It stays like that seemingly indefinitely.

What is weird is, if I set the game start to 1950 and I set up the exact same system using hopper trucks, it works. The station does show a blank screen for a short period after the truck arrives, but soon the cargo starts showing up like normal.

Am I just missing something really obvious, or is this a bug?
Last edited by JDCollie on 26 Oct 2014 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I can think of two possibilities off the top of my head:

1) As a kind of "articulated vehicle", the horse carriages need drive-through stations.
2) Maybe you haven't refitted the vehicle to the correct type of cargo.
JDCollie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JDCollie »

leifbk wrote:I can think of two possibilities off the top of my head:

1) As a kind of "articulated vehicle", the horse carriages need drive-through stations.
2) Maybe you haven't refitted the vehicle to the correct type of cargo.

The stations are drive through, so it shouldn't be that. I'll try refitting them though and see if it works. Thanks :D

EDIT

That did the trick, awesome! :bow:

Return to “Graphics Releases”