[Univ] GRVTS - Generic Road Vehicles and Trams sets

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Univ] GRVTS - Generic Road Vehicles and Trams sets

Post by MasterMeNL »

LaDoncella wrote:
eGRVTS2-r187.zip
How am I supposed to use this? It's not a tar file and I can't extract it with Winrar or Windows' zip utility.
Both of them give me an error.

Winrar says:

Code: Select all

!   C:\Users\Melvin\AppData\Local\Temp\eGRVTS2-r187-3.zip: Unknown method in eGRVTS2.grf
!   C:\Users\Melvin\AppData\Local\Temp\eGRVTS2-r187-3.zip: No files to extract
I'm probably doing something stupid as it seems to be working for you guys.
I also tried downloading the file with Internet Explorer instead of Firefox but exactly the same problem occurred.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

You extract the zip file with Winrar or 7-zip (FREE archive tool thingy) and move the .GRF to your OPenTTD newgrf or data folder (it'll be in your Documents folder or in your OpenTTD install)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

NekoMaster wrote:You extract the zip file with Winrar or 7-zip (FREE archive tool thingy) and move the .GRF to your OPenTTD newgrf or data folder (it'll be in your Documents folder or in your OpenTTD install)
That's exactly what I'm trying to do, but no program seems to be able to extract the files. Everything gives an error. Looks like the file just won't download properly no matter how many times I do.

Can someone upload to dropbox/mediafire or re-pack the file (maybe as rar or 7z this time) as I can't get this one working.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You're not doing anything stupid. I could not extract the file with either WinZip or Windows 7 file manager. I could extract it with 7-Zip, but no versions of OpenTTD detected it. I'm certain the file is corrupt.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

NekoMaster wrote:Download link to GRVTS 32 bit grf is dead, drop box says the file is missing. And here I wanted to play with 32bpp openttd
Anyone that can help with this?

ALSO

Just to let you know guys (Above me) that eGRVTS 2 is on Bananas (online content downloader)

I dunno what happened to the zip you guys downloaded because I just downloaded r187 and it works (unzipped and played properly)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Interesting, investigating further... if you have both r187 and r175 in the newgrf folder, r175 shows as the latest version. Remove that, r187 shows up and plays. Forum won't let me upload at the moment, but I'll re-attach when I can. I still can't get it to extract with either WinZip or Windows Explorer.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

kamnet wrote:Interesting, investigating further... if you have both r187 and r175 in the newgrf folder, r175 shows as the latest version. Remove that, r187 shows up and plays. Forum won't let me upload at the moment, but I'll re-attach when I can. I still can't get it to extract with either WinZip or Windows Explorer.
Try 7-zip, I just downloaded it like an hour ago and it extracted just fine and I even got to see it in game
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

NekoMaster wrote:Try 7-zip, I just downloaded it like an hour ago and it extracted just fine and I even got to see it in game
kamnet wrote:I could not extract the file with either WinZip or Windows 7 file manager. I could extract it with 7-Zip...
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

If a file is .zip is should be proper .zip, not some weird stuff that only 7zip can extract.
Looks like 7zip is failing pretty hard then, although the .7z files do always open properly.

I decided to search online for a bit and found b1.org/online. This site can extract the file for you without you needing to use 7zip if you prefer something else and don't want to install and uninstall things all day long.

I also decided to repack it properly to a regular .tar file because of my OCD-ness with yet another website.
It's packed with regular WinRAR (not the new RAR5) with solid archive and recovery record enabled, it should work on all common archivers.

You may need to remove the old version as the game prefers the older revision over the new one over here.

Credits to original uploader (LaDoncella).
Attachments
eGRVTS2-187.rar
(721.97 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

No, 7-zip was never the problem. *sighs*

Also, why not just repack it as a tar file, so you can drop it in your newgrf directory and be done with it?
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

kamnet wrote:No, 7-zip was never the problem. *sighs*

Also, why not just repack it as a tar file, so you can drop it in your newgrf directory and be done with it?
That's exactly what I did. I just RAR'd it so I could upload it here as well (the tar file) because it shaves a lot of the file size.

And how is 7-zip not the problem if only 7-zip can extract it? To me it looks like 7-zip uses new fancy technique on .zip files that only 7-zip understands.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Okay... so, just to recap, both you and I confirmed that
a) WinZip COULD NOT unpack the file properly, gives an unknown error code;
b) Windows Explorer COULD NOT unpack the file properly, gives an unknown error code;
c) 7-Zip CAN unpack the file properly, and the file works.

... so that means the problem is with 7-Zip because it got the job done? ?( ?(
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

Weird, specially considering that 7z zips only supports the standard algorithms for ZIPs.

Anyway. r188
- increased grf version so it shows over older versions

And legacy compression for the zip.
eGRVTS2-r188.zip
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

kamnet wrote:Okay... so, just to recap, both you and I confirmed that
a) WinZip COULD NOT unpack the file properly, gives an unknown error code;
b) Windows Explorer COULD NOT unpack the file properly, gives an unknown error code;
c) 7-Zip CAN unpack the file properly, and the file works.

... so that means the problem is with 7-Zip because it got the job done? ?( ?(
The problem is with 7-zip because 7-zip made the initial file, hence only 7-zip works now.

7-zip compressed the file in a special way that only 7-zip understands, that's why all other software (WinRAR, WinZip, etc, etc, etc) doesn't work.
This is a bad thing. Sure every archiver has it's way of doing things, but WinZip can read WinRAR files and vice versa. WinRAR can also read .7z files.
All big compression formats and supported by all common compression software.

So yeah, it's 7-Zip's fault for intentionally using this "new" format that doesn't work on all other software, and how dare they even name it .zip?!
.zip is Microsoft's original compression format, use .zipx or something like that. But just using .zip is just plain stupid.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

7-zip doesnt use new compression methods unless you tell it too. By default it uses Deflate or Deflate64 for zip files, but theres options like LZMA or bzip.

Most zip compression methods are compatible with other programs like WinRar, WinZip, and windows intergrated zip utilities

So really, its the posters fault for not making sure it worked properly before up loading. Though that doesnt mean go invade their country and shoot them for a tiny mistake or chance error (perhaps it happened during uploading?)

Anyways the poster of the GRF solved it, so lets stop argueing about stuff and get back on topic :)

Speaking of...

There may be a lot of vehicles in the set but I can't shake the feeling "I want more", so perhaps there could be one or two more things, or perhaps have a generic set for north american style vehicles, like 4x4 and 4x6 trucks with long hoods, and busses with the doors on the right side.

It might also be nice to have Light Rail Trams that are essentially small trains for use within cities where rail wont go or connecting neighborhoods and towns together
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

NekoMaster wrote:There may be a lot of vehicles in the set but I can't shake the feeling "I want more", so perhaps there could be one or two more things, or perhaps have a generic set for north american style vehicles, like 4x4 and 4x6 trucks with long hoods, and busses with the doors on the right side.

It might also be nice to have Light Rail Trams that are essentially small trains for use within cities where rail wont go or connecting neighborhoods and towns together
You are welcome to draw them :)
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

MasterMeNL wrote:.zip is Microsoft's original compression format
No, it's PKWare's original compression format. :P

Just in case any further derailment was required.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

FLHerne wrote:
MasterMeNL wrote:.zip is Microsoft's original compression format
No, it's PKWare's original compression format. :P

Just in case any further derailment was required.
(◕ᴥ◕し)

This is not spam so don't kick my ass for it.
This post was required for the mandatory action of controlling the forum users on this forum.
This message was posted with special butonium technology™ with supreme efficiency.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Hi all. I'm trawling through my older threads checking for problems... Was the problem with downloading this file all resolved? IIRC the download is for the old 32bpp format, though my memory is a bit fuzzy :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Zephyris wrote:Hi all. I'm trawling through my older threads checking for problems... Was the problem with downloading this file all resolved? IIRC the download is for the old 32bpp format, though my memory is a bit fuzzy :)

The GRVTS 32bpp link is no longer working, is there a new one?

LaDonacella uploaded eGRVTS 2 r188 a few posts ago.

Return to “Graphics Releases”