Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 05/31/2015 - London Underground

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Awesometrains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: FEATURED 5/23/2012: Streetlights for #WWOTTDGD

Post by Awesometrains »

kamnet wrote:Okay, well, it doesn't appear that Real Arcade Town Set will load in the newest OpenTTD, so let's move on to something you CAN play with!
Yes it will

But the streetlights won't...
Qa'pla!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Awesometrains wrote:
kamnet wrote:Okay, well, it doesn't appear that Real Arcade Town Set will load in the newest OpenTTD, so let's move on to something you CAN play with!
Yes it will
Yes, because I got permission from the author to fix the error it was throwing.
But the streetlights won't...

Yeah I can't remember when this stopped working. I didn't bother to try to go fix it because many other town building sets now include their own streetlights. Plus, the lights strobed, and kinda gives you a headache. It's okay for this one to die, I think. ;)
Awesometrains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Awesometrains »

kamnet wrote: Yeah I can't remember when this stopped working. I didn't bother to try to go fix it because many other town building sets now include their own streetlights. Plus, the lights strobed, and kinda gives you a headache. It's okay for this one to die, I think. ;)
besides , streetlights are now default in openttd anyways

the automotive set doesn't load either
Qa'pla!
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 05/31/2015 - London Underground

Post by Nondidjos »

Here's a little something if people forgot, only discovered it recently myself (obviously, since it was created 13 years ago) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6237

I hope it made some of you re-discover it :D
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

I don't know if it's a forgotten one, but it's certainly one that haven't seen any updates in a long time. And "sadly", it's the only one of it's kind, meaning that if one day, it get incompatible with OpenTTD, there will not be any replacement.
It's the Early train set :
viewtopic.php?t=41132

I mean, you can start with minecarts pulled by horses. Something that the 600mm set allows to, but then, by 1804, you get early steam machines.
Two interesting things in this set :
- evolving machines : the first machine "One cylinder experiment" receive upgrades during it's life. So by 1813, it will be faster, more powerful, and even have a different sprite. Those changes are nly if you buy/renew the machine. It's a thing that I rarely have seen used in other NewGRF.
- Compatible rails : you get to built wooden tracks for the horse-pulled carts. Then a light metal railway for the steam machines. The horses can ride on both types, and the steam machines and carriage can ride on the light rail type and the standard type. This allow for a smooth upgrade of the train as time goes by.

There are room for improvement in this set : a first thing would be to merge the two newGRF files into one; a second, to make the vehicles compatible with standard rail with an option, so it avoid cluttering the rail menu with two rail types that will not see a very long use (light rail compatible machines stop to appears after 1850 so you really only use the light rail type between 1804 and 1870 at best).
The horses whistle :mrgreen:

Anyway, my main regret is mostly that no one else offers early machines. Even if the UK set offer a Planet by 1830, I still think it doesn't look as funky as those early locomotives with the big red wheel spinning on their sides.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Lesarthois wrote:I don't know if it's a forgotten one, but it's certainly one that haven't seen any updates in a long time. And "sadly", it's the only one of it's kind, meaning that if one day, it get incompatible with OpenTTD, there will not be any replacement.
viewtopic.php?t=41132
Yes, this is a nice early set to start with. I can't think of any reason why OpenTTD would stop supporting it, unless it completely changed the NewGRF standard. But, yeah, it could use some small updates to correct the sound of the horses.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Lesarthois wrote:I don't know if it's a forgotten one, but it's certainly one that haven't seen any updates in a long time. And "sadly", it's the only one of it's kind, meaning that if one day, it get incompatible with OpenTTD, there will not be any replacement.
viewtopic.php?t=41132

There are room for improvement in this set : a first thing would be to merge the two newGRF files into one;
I say leave them separate. If it can't be updated but isn't at risk of becoming unsupported, it's better to have the option to make new track graphics, and to make more vehicles, without them being stuck together.
Lesarthois wrote:a second, to make the vehicles compatible with standard rail with an option, so it avoid cluttering the rail menu with two rail types that will not see a very long use (light rail compatible machines stop to appears after 1850 so you really only use the light rail type between 1804 and 1870 at best).
The horses whistle :mrgreen:

Anyway, my main regret is mostly that no one else offers early machines. Even if the UK set offer a Planet by 1830, I still think it doesn't look as funky as those early locomotives with the big red wheel spinning on their sides.
They look hard to draw. Not many people play from that early with a desire for rail at the start.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

I get your points.
I was thinking from an user point of view.
If the tracks and vehicles were in the same NewGRF, that would be one less NewGRF slot taken; Or if those trains had the option to run on standard tracks.

And for the early game, I suppose that it's true for most people, given that there is hardly any train available before 1830.
But that's my kick for playing OpenTTD : seeing unusual trains and vehicles going together so those early steam machines fits that desire perfectly.
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Lesarthois wrote:I get your points.
I was thinking from an user point of view.
If the tracks and vehicles were in the same NewGRF, that would be one less NewGRF slot taken; Or if those trains had the option to run on standard tracks.

And for the early game, I suppose that it's true for most people, given that there is hardly any train available before 1830.
But that's my kick for playing OpenTTD : seeing unusual trains and vehicles going together so those early steam machines fits that desire perfectly.
would also be interesting seeing users then use this grf alongside sailing ships to start earlier with their games, and if there is enough content, it could really be interesting to play, having tried playing from 1700 with sailing ships myself, I think I can safely say that it lacks content to be playable/profitable, no matter how hard I tried I would always end up bankrupt, but the idea of reaching trains and merge them to my network always kept me going, with that said, it would have been dope to have had these to make it easier/more interesting to start off and have a great long lasting game, really hope someone picks up working on that grf
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

Well, aside from adding horse draw carts by 1700 (which the Generic 600mm set does too) i'ts more for eyecandy.
If you managed to survive between 1700 and 1804 without trains, the additions that Early Rails provide will only add fun and help you laying down some lines (and even then, it would be flat short lines barely more important than trucks).

But it's fun.
I would more see a "prototype NewGRF" with experimental machines, if it was to be upgraded. I wish I had any talent for doing the coding or the graphics, but I can't even understand how to open an existing NewGRF :o

Return to “Graphics Releases”