Dutch Trainset 2

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Trainset 2

Post by Transportman »

V453000 :) wrote:I think the tracks should either be a part of the train set if they are that much required. Or if dutch trackset isnt loaded, make normal electrified rail work without penalties to power.
I have seen this comment some time ago already but didn't respond then, because at that time the track set was not yet near release state. I support the second part of your comment about when the track set is not loaded, but I disagree on the suggestion that the track set should be part of the train set. A bigger set that contains all the Dutch NewGRFs as one is something that would be nice, but just a combination of only two of them is something I don't prefer.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

New release: 2.0.0-alpha7!

Dear valued customer,

We are pleased to announce today the release of Dutch Trainset 2.0.0-alpha7 for your gaming pleasure during the remainder of these holidays.

This time we provide you with a number of fixes and lots of steam. The graphics of eight steam trains are renewed and improved and another six new steamers have been added, bringing the total to 25 for this very set. As always more information is available in our changelog, which can be downloaded from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/dutchtra ... ngelog.txt.

Due to the nature of several changes, this release is unfortunately not compatible with any previous release. This measure had to be taken in order to provide you yet again with a quality product.

Downloads are as usual available via the ingame content downloader and alternatively for manual installations from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/dutchtra ... T/?P=*.zip

Kind regards and the best wishes for 2013,
The Dutch Trainset Team
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

FooBar wrote:New release: 2.0.0-alpha7!

Dear valued customer,

We are pleased to announce today the release of Dutch Trainset 2.0.0-alpha7 for your gaming pleasure during the remainder of these holidays.

This time we provide you with a number of fixes and lots of steam. The graphics of eight steam trains are renewed and improved and another six new steamers have been added, bringing the total to 25 for this very set. As always more information is available in our changelog, which can be downloaded from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/dutchtra ... ngelog.txt.

Due to the nature of several changes, this release is unfortunately not compatible with any previous release. This measure had to be taken in order to provide you yet again with a quality product.

Downloads are as usual available via the ingame content downloader and alternatively for manual installations from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/dutchtra ... T/?P=*.zip

Kind regards and the best wishes for 2013,
The Dutch Trainset Team
A just in time release, I started a new game in 1825 so no trains yet!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Today I'm pleased to announce the release of 2.0.0-beta1! Yes, you read that correctly. We went beta!

What this means is that the set is completely playable now and that all known bugs have been fixed. That doesn't mean that new things won't be added any more. On the contrary, there are still some features and requests open on the issue tracker.

So, what's new this time? In terms of features there's a nice addition by Transportman, which will give you full power on multi-current trains if you don't use the trackset. Furthermore some changes were made so that you can transport all cargo types at any one time.

Downloads are available from the online content as well as http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/dutchtra ... T/?P=*.zip
Provided there are no serious bugs, the next release is planned for April 1st. Enjoy!
lexjuh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lexjuh »

I found a small graphical bug with open wagon GTUW , see the attachment.

Only seen when the trains drive in this partcular direction and the waggons are refitted to coal. Didn't notice it wih Iron Ore.
Attachments
Trans-Pacific, 17th Jun 1951#2.png
Graphical glitch
(144.02 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Thanks for reporting. I'll look into this.
DeMoraatz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeMoraatz »

Just noticed the HS-1 and HS-2. I don't recognise them, are they fictional?
Last edited by DeMoraatz on 13 Feb 2013 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Resistance is futile!!
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

DeMoraatz wrote:Just noticed the HS-1 and HS-1. I don't recognise them, are they fictional?
They are indeed fictional. The information in the purchase (and available trains) window should also state that.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
DeMoraatz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeMoraatz »

Haven't progressed that far yet, I saw them on the wiki page I think.
Resistance is futile!!
tangre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tangre »

Is it possible to disable the automatic recoloring of the vehicles? (with an option or something)
For example; if I buy the DE-2 in 1953 it's blue and it stays blue until I will scrap it, when I buy the DE-2 in the 70s it's red and it stays red.

Thanks for this super trainset!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Yes and no. You can disable it, but you'll have to do that on a per-vehicle basis via refit. That is also possible after it has changed colour; it then will change back. There's no setting to make this the default behaviour.
Brundd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brundd »

First of all, thank you for this magnificent trainset :bow:

Is it possible to somehow change the loading times of the trains?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Brundd wrote:First of all, thank you for this magnificent trainset :bow:

Not without changing the code which you may as we distribute the set under a fitting license.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Transportman wrote:
V453000 :) wrote:I think the tracks should either be a part of the train set if they are that much required. Or if dutch trackset isnt loaded, make normal electrified rail work without penalties to power.
I have seen this comment some time ago already but didn't respond then, because at that time the track set was not yet near release state. I support the second part of your comment about when the track set is not loaded, but I disagree on the suggestion that the track set should be part of the train set. A bigger set that contains all the Dutch NewGRFs as one is something that would be nice, but just a combination of only two of them is something I don't prefer.
the difference between stations/catenary/idkwhatelseisDutch is that the tracks Functionally influence the trains. If that is so, having them away from the train set is confusing to say the least - especially if there are more than 2 Dutch newGRFs ... but do as you want really, I do not and will not use your train set anyway (:
ImageImageImage
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

V453000 :) wrote:
Transportman wrote:
the difference between stations/catenary/idkwhatelseisDutch is that the tracks Functionally influence the trains. If that is so, having them away from the train set is confusing to say the least - especially if there are more than 2 Dutch newGRFs ... but do as you want really, I do not and will not use your train set anyway (:
The thing is, people may want to use the Trainset without the Trackset, or the Trackset without the Trainset. Combining stuff may break stuff for people who want to use a different trainset or trackset.

If the Trainset is being loaded without the Trackset, I think the best we can do is display a pop-up box warning the player that the use of the Trackset is recommended.

I don't really see the point of a combined GRF either, since installing multiple GRFs via BaNaNaS is quite simple, especially when all GRFs can be found when searching for "Dutch". A combined GRF would make it harder to only use a specific part of the set, be it trains, tracks, stations, etc.

In addition to Hyronymus's reply: If you think loading times are imbalanced, we'd love to hear. We may be able to do some balance tweaks. If you just want to play with overpowered loading times, you're probably on your own. :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Purno wrote:I don't really see the point of a combined GRF either...
Well, the main argument I could see there is that you are limited to 63 (or so) max active newgrfs, so if you want to load more, having two combined into one frees up a slot.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

This train and tracks dichotomy also goes for other many NewGRF developers, but for the combined version, most notable one is xUSSR set.

TBH I'm no real supporters of both - just what the devs would like to.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Supercheese wrote:
Purno wrote:I don't really see the point of a combined GRF either...
Well, the main argument I could see there is that you are limited to 63 (or so) max active newgrfs, so if you want to load more, having two combined into one frees up a slot.
Hmm... I wasn't aware of this limit, and never ran into it myself. 63 NewGRFs sounds like a lot, or do many people use way more NewGRFs than I do? Is this a problem many people run into?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Loading times are indeed a bit long, FooBar already placed a feature request on the DevZone to reduce it by 25%, but he didn't implement it yet. I also have not had time to make the necessary changes, but I have some more time now, so maybe I'll get around it and create the .patch needed to decrease it, although I would need to re-install the development programs. I might then also fix some other outstanding bugs/feature requests.

@V453000: Since Beta-1 all trains get full power by default if there is no or an incompatible trackset loaded. If the Dutch Track Set or any other compatible track set (determined automatically) is loaded, there is still an option to override the track-dependency.
Brundd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brundd »

Purno wrote:In addition to Hyronymus's reply: If you think loading times are imbalanced, we'd love to hear. We may be able to do some balance tweaks. If you just want to play with overpowered loading times, you're probably on your own. :mrgreen:
I'm planning to recreate the Netherlands on a 4096^2 map including the real timetables, so I'll probably need to balance the loading times.

I did a small test how it would be in the current situation and I must say it's pretty good.

Comparison between two trains on the line Alkmaar-Castricum (both ridden by VIRM):
Time in reality between departure in Alkmaar and departure in Castricum (non-stop): 8 minutes
Time in reality between departure in Alkmaar and departure in Castricum (with stop in Heiloo): 11 minutes

In game travel time between Alkmaar and Castricum: 2512 ticks + maximum loading time (1036 ticks) in Castricum = 3548 ticks
In game travel time between Alkmaar and Castricum with stop in Heiloo: 2624 ticks + maximum loading time (1036x2) in Heiloo and Castricum = 4696 ticks

Proportion between the non-stop and stop service:
In reality: 8/11 = 0,727
In game: 3548/4696 = 0,756

So that's only a difference of around 4%, way better than I expected. Of course this is only a single example and in other cases the difference might be way bigger. I think a 25% reduction in loading times would be indeed the best solution and it would solve all my 'problems'.

Return to “Graphics Releases”