Dutch Trainset 2

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Trainset 2

Post by Supercheese »

Purno wrote:Hmm... I wasn't aware of this limit, and never ran into it myself. 63 NewGRFs sounds like a lot, or do many people use way more NewGRFs than I do? Is this a problem many people run into?
I'm in the statistical minority of those that like Moar Newgrfs™. It's probably not a very common problem, but the one I thought of when considering the argument in favor of combining the grfs into one.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Supercheese wrote:
Purno wrote:Hmm... I wasn't aware of this limit, and never ran into it myself. 63 NewGRFs sounds like a lot, or do many people use way more NewGRFs than I do? Is this a problem many people run into?
I'm in the statistical minority of those that like Moar Newgrfs™. It's probably not a very common problem, but the one I thought of when considering the argument in favor of combining the grfs into one.
It's a common enough problem that in recently nightlies the devs raised the NewStation and NewObject ID limits. While the devs didn't raise the NewGRF limit, most popular patchpacks do raise it for single player mode.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Brundd wrote:
Purno wrote:In addition to Hyronymus's reply: If you think loading times are imbalanced, we'd love to hear. We may be able to do some balance tweaks. If you just want to play with overpowered loading times, you're probably on your own. :mrgreen:
I'm planning to recreate the Netherlands on a 4096^2 map including the real timetables, so I'll probably need to balance the loading times.

(...)
Wow, I doubt we should try to balance loading times that much to reality...
kamnet wrote:It's a common enough problem that in recently nightlies the devs raised the NewStation and NewObject ID limits. While the devs didn't raise the NewGRF limit, most popular patchpacks do raise it for single player mode.
Interesting. I'm no code-expert, but when patchpacks already raise the NewGRF limit, it sounds like there aren't too many technical limitations? Can we expect a higher NewGRF limit in unpatched OTTD someday?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Purno wrote:
kamnet wrote:It's a common enough problem that in recently nightlies the devs raised the NewStation and NewObject ID limits. While the devs didn't raise the NewGRF limit, most popular patchpacks do raise it for single player mode.
Interesting. I'm no code-expert, but when patchpacks already raise the NewGRF limit, it sounds like there aren't too many technical limitations? Can we expect a higher NewGRF limit in unpatched OTTD someday?
While I wish they would, I doubt it will happen. The main reason it is kept in place is due to desyncing issues in multiplayer. I could see it as being a hassle when users create scenarios with more than 63 NewGRFs loaded but they can't use them on multiplayer servers.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Purno wrote:
Brundd wrote:
Purno wrote:In addition to Hyronymus's reply: If you think loading times are imbalanced, we'd love to hear. We may be able to do some balance tweaks. If you just want to play with overpowered loading times, you're probably on your own. :mrgreen:
I'm planning to recreate the Netherlands on a 4096^2 map including the real timetables, so I'll probably need to balance the loading times.

(...)
Wow, I doubt we should try to balance loading times that much to reality...
I think the loading times are balanced between vehicles within the set, but on the long side. Longest full unload+load time is something like 31 days IIRC 37 days for the V250, which is just too long in my opinion.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Transportman wrote:I think the loading times are balanced between vehicles within the set, but on the long side. Longest full unload+load time is something like 31 days IIRC 37 days for the V250, which is just too long in my opinion.
Any chance this was done intentionally to encourage the use of metro, which has loading speed as one of it's biggest advantages?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Purno wrote:
Transportman wrote:I think the loading times are balanced between vehicles within the set, but on the long side. Longest full unload+load time is something like 31 days IIRC 37 days for the V250, which is just too long in my opinion.
Any chance this was done intentionally to encourage the use of metro, which has loading speed as one of it's biggest advantages?
I'm not sure why it was done, maybe there is something on it in the development thread. But if I change all loading times with the same %, it will not change that much.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The loading times are based on the amount of people that can get in and ont of a train at the same time. Metros have more doors per seat, so will load quicker. The V250 has the lowest amount of doors per seat.

The 25 percent loading speed increase I had in mind is just a guess. It's a matter of trial and error to see if it is enough.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:The loading times are based on the amount of people that can get in and ont of a train at the same time. Metros have more doors per seat, so will load quicker. The V250 has the lowest amount of doors per seat.

The 25 percent loading speed increase I had in mind is just a guess. It's a matter of trial and error to see if it is enough.
I think the 25% increase would be a good start, it would decrease loading times with 20%. Maybe for HSTs it should be a bit more and for Metros a bit less, but I think the 25% is a good start.

Other thing that also would need some trail and error are the futuristic engines that Voyager One has drawn, I'll try to code them with some placeholder values, as changing them would then just be changing some numbers. But I think that is a better discussion for either the development thread or the issue on the Devzone.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Sorry for the double post, but I found a bug I (think I) can fix, but I want to make sure I fix it completely. The bug is with vehicles that have multiple liveries and in some cases the livery selection does not show up properly. It then only shows the Year-dependent or random livery as option. I already spotted it with multiple Metros and the HS-2. If you know other vehicles where this bug might be happening, please add it to issue #6540 on the Devzone or send me a PM.
Novex
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Novex »

Thanks for this amazing trainset!!!
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

Hi there,

It's been a while since I've been here. Have switched from TTDPatch to OpenTTD since, and I'm really enjoying this great train set! Keep up the awesome work!

Just browsing some background information on the various trains and liveries, I came across this novelty:

(Photo credit: Bertus Kers)

I really like this paint job. Any chance this livery will be included for the NS HiSpeed 186 series in an update?
Can someone bring me a new pixel? This one 's dead.
ossesek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ossesek »

Hey,
i think it would be nice to split metro and trains through new parameter, so everyone could choose wheter wants to play with metro and trains or only metro or only trains. Or maybe additional grf file like in 2cc set?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

For more than a year you've all been eagerly waiting for this new release. And here it is! Version 2.1.0 is now available on the online content.

Some things were fixed, others are new. Most notably are changed vehicle life, improved loading speed (which you can tweak via a parameter) and update of translations. For a full list of changes, see the changelog.
paco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paco »

FooBar wrote:Most notably are changed vehicle life (...)
:bow: That's a great new feature, thanks! It makes the game more realistic.

:roll: Somewhere around the year 1860 or 1865 there is a gap: no engines and passenger coaches are available in the shop until the NS 7200 is released. I can imagine in the early years of railroading such gaps were a reality, so I like that too.

I haven't played until the (game's) recent years yet, but I hope you shortened Fyra V250's life to 40 days. Just like in reality. :lol:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

paco wrote::roll: Somewhere around the year 1860 or 1865 there is a gap: no engines and passenger coaches are available in the shop until the NS 7200 is released. I can imagine in the early years of railroading such gaps were a reality, so I like that too.
The game randomizes introduction dates, causing this to happen sometimes. It's not really by design. I had the same in my last game during WW2. There was no freight engine available when I needed one. That wasn't by design either.

paco wrote:I haven't played until the (game's) recent years yet, but I hope you shortened Fyra V250's life to 40 days. Just like in reality. :lol:
When we added V250 to the set we didn't know its faith yet. So no, like other current vehicles it's available indefinitely.
paco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paco »

FooBar wrote:I had the same in my last game during WW2. There was no freight engine available when I needed one. That wasn't by design either.
That's a pretty cool coincidence.
FooBar wrote:When we added V250 to the set we didn't know its faith yet. So no, like other current vehicles it's available indefinitely.
Perhaps it's better to leave it that way: it's up to the player to abandom them or not. It would be a waste of effort to the one who created the V250 for this NewGRF. :D

I'm going to continue my game now (in 1869). I might encounter other new features...
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Is there any easy way to pick the correct coach for an engine? Is there even a correct one?

And is there any special meaning behind the sleeping coaches?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

KeldorKatarn wrote:Is there any easy way to pick the correct coach for an engine? Is there even a correct one?
Only for some specific wagons an indication is provided.
And is there any special meaning behind the sleeping coaches?
I'm not sure there is, except that they were coaches that were used on the Dutch railways.
dreadtania wrote:Maybe a weird question to ask but is development still alive?

Haven't seen any progression in the bugtracker for Dutch Trainset 2.0.

Ofcourse I do understand that there is still a real life to live but i would sure clear things up if development has been postponed or not. :wink:
Not a weird question. From my point of view, the Dutch Trainset 2.0 is done, and if I see the bugs that are still open on the bugtracker, I don't see any big issues that are really breaking, or needed, more nice to have at best. That said, in the coming years some new vehicles will be introduced on the Dutch railways, it might be nice to include those.
Killersquad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Killersquad »

Hi guys!

I have a question about the Dutch Trainset 2. :)

I downloaded it, with some Netherland scenarios. But when I want to play a scenario I cant play with the Dutch Train set :(

I tryed:
The netherlands by purno2
Nederland V1.2.scn

With the scenario
Nederland - Rijnmond/Goeree the trainset works.

But I want to play it with the other scenarios! How can I fix this? I will upload a screen in the The netherlands by purno2 scenario with the newgrf settings.
Attachments
newgrf.PNG
newgrf.PNG (75.44 KiB) Viewed 5817 times

Return to “Graphics Releases”