8/32bpp Trains 2CC - Release topic

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 8/32bpp SH125 2CC - Release topic

Post by FooBar »

If a grf crashes OpenTTD, it's always a bug in OpenTTD. It should never crash due to a grf.
So you may want to see if the crash still happens with a newer nightly, and if so report it to bugs.openttd.org.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: 8/32bpp Trains 2CC - Release topic

Post by Xotic750 »

As the other individual release posts have been locked and it is suggested that a single thread is used for all, I have combined all the information into this single thread.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

The separate train NewGRFs have been deprecated and a new single NewGRF that contains all currently rendered trains has been uploaded to BaNaNaS. Details can be found on the very first post of this thread.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Added a screenshot to show the current rendered trains.
Last edited by Xotic750 on 11 Apr 2012 03:59, edited 1 time in total.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

looks good - one suggestion would be a small arbitrary distinction between the 25/47 and 30/40. I know they all look the same in tto, but you could do something to differentiate them with vents, window surrounds, etc and maintain the spirit of the original.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

If you look then you will notice that they have a different number of front windows, just like the real life trains they are loosely based on. :)

For example:
SH25 (BR Class 25)
FLOSS47 (BR Class 47)

SH30 (BR Class 86)
SH40 (BR Class 87)
Last edited by Xotic750 on 09 Apr 2012 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Nice! Quite Subtle. Do you plan on touching the standard MUs as well?
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

I am hoping to replace, at least, the temperate set of base trains and then I will see how it goes. Of course, anyone wishing to submit 3D replacement models are welcomed. :)
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Bug report :

Version 2 appears to make the Passenger and Mail cars unavailable :?

It's still good to see some 32bpp graphics in trunk, so thanks. :bow:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

FLHerne wrote:Bug report :

Version 2 appears to make the Passenger and Mail cars unavailable :?

It's still good to see some 32bpp graphics in trunk, so thanks. :bow:

It's working fine for me, they appear at the very bottom of the purchase menu. I am using r24110. Perhaps you could give more detail, are you using a saved game or have you tried a new game?
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Interesting...I now seem unable to replicate the problem... ?(
New game, r24111.

Seems to be working now, perhaps I missed it somehow earlier :oops:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

For info, I will not be making any further releases of the 8/32bpp Trains 2CC NewGRF. Instead, these sprite sets are currently being added to the OpenGFX+ Trains NewGRF. Once the current integration is complete then I will be deprecating the 8/32bpp Trains 2CC NewGRF on BaNaNaS.
Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hafting »

I tried 8/32bpp trains 2CC with openttd-1.4.0-beta5 and zbase. I am trying to have a game with fully zoomable graphics. The trains in this newgrf look very good, but unfortunately the mail and passenger cars disappear in 1991 and 1992. Just got the metropolitan airports - and then no more passenger trains. :-( zbase alone works, but doesn't look as good.

The version of 8/32bpp trains I have is 1.2.0(r22723). Is the r24111 mentioned a newer version - and if so, where can I find it?

I tried opengfx+ trains, to see if "the integration was complete". This avoids the 1992 loss of mail/passengers, but I also get a lot of pixellated trains when zooming in. It is weird having a full resolution SH30 locomotive dragging pixellated cargo around.

Is it possible to have the nice looking and zoomable trains without breaking the game in 1992? Or is the source available somewhere - I could try to fix the newgrf myself.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

r24111 refers to a OpenTTD nightly development version, not to 8/32bpp trains. This project was abandoned in April 2012 after Xotic750 started contributing his work to OpenGFX+ Trains. Looking through the OpenGFX+ Trains development log, it doesn't appear that there have been any contributions to that from him since August 24, 2012. Xotic has not logged into TT-Forums since August 27, 2013, almost a year since his last contribution.

So, to answer your question, what you have right now is the latest available, and it doesn't appear that there is any more development for 32bpp sprites at this time.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Hafting wrote: I tried opengfx+ trains, to see if "the integration was complete". This avoids the 1992 loss of mail/passengers, but I also get a lot of pixellated trains when zooming in. It is weird having a full resolution SH30 locomotive dragging pixellated cargo around.
Dunno, did you try the development versions? They have some 32bpp sprites - but it's far from complete in that respect.
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/ogfx-tra ... es/LATEST/
Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hafting »

planetmaker wrote: Dunno, did you try the development versions? They have some 32bpp sprites - but it's far from complete in that respect.
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/ogfx-tra ... es/LATEST/
No, I tried the 0.3.0 version available via in-game content downloading. But thanks for the tip.

I found a workaround for this problem, the 8/32bpp trains has a "never expire" parameter. Setting that parameter ensures that passenger/mail cars don't expire in 1991/1992. I guess nothing else will expire now, but that is not much of a problem.

On to the next challenge: FIRS makes for a more interesting game, but require vehicles for its special cargoes. And bringing in the required vehicle sets also bring back the 8-bit pixellated vehicles. I'll try to see if the development ogfx-trains helps with this. If all else fails there is the open-source solution: I can force a FIRS vehicle set to use sprites from existing 32bpp sets. Might be an interesting exercise.

Return to “Graphics Releases”