[OTTD] The Vactrain Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Vacuum Tube Train (Vactrain) Set

Post by Emperor Jake »

@Darker: The train length has a big effect on its top speed. Try out some different lengths :wink:
Also, you should look at the NML source code instead of mucking around with decompiled NFO - it is much easier to read and edit IMO.

@Terkhen: I haven't had time to try and figure out the devzone lately, but I will give it another go next weekend.
Darker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Darker »

I tryed 1 and 18 wagons with absolutely same speed 5700 before reaching the station on front corner of the map.
Hacking is like sex - you get in, you get out. And then you hope that you didn't leave inside anything to track you.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Emperor Jake wrote:I haven't had time to try and figure out the devzone lately, but I will give it another go next weekend.
If you're on Windows, you might want to check out my guide: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/hom ... dows_users
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Darker wrote:I tryed 1 and 18 wagons with absolutely same speed 5700 before reaching the station on front corner of the map.
I have absolutely nothing against you mucking around with the set, but you've voided your warranty :P

Also, I need my Linux userbar back, otherwise people will assume I use Windows :roll: But thanks anyway FooBar, I might be able to ignore the "virtual installation of Linux" part :wink:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

heh, if you're on native linux that's even easier. Everything from the guide for inside linux still applies, but may of course slightly differ if you're using a distro other than fedora with gnome.

Tortoisehg is also for linux, check your package manager, so that bit is also largely usable.

For any other questions about using the devzone, join the irc channel
TERdON
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TERdON »

Emperor Jake wrote:
So anyway, vactrain will remain a separate and incompatible system to Maglev (even though it would be possible to code - in fact very easy :wink: ). It would be extremely uneconomic to run a vactrain in the open air because it would squander its capability of running in the vactubes, and it would be unaerodynamic because of its flat front which is there to make more usable transport space. Technically it would also need to stop at an airlock when leaving/entering the vactube.
An opposite argument would be that it might make sense to let vactrains, despite it being financially and otherwise not a great idea, run in on regular maglev tracks as well. Maybe for sharing a terminus station with regular maglev trains, for example, if there is not much room to spare. Acceleration and deceleration can't be extremely high anyway or the passengers will be rather squished. The airlock issue I would just skip for now. :-)

I do like the "partial vac train" idea as well, would make something for maglev similar to nutracks.
Train Enthusiast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Train Enthusiast »

Can we use normal, standard (diesel, overhead) trains to run on these tracks?
I like C151As! Although C151 087/088 is my one and only!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Let's see...
In either case, the driver would suffocate because the cabins aren't pressurised. The diesel engine would also not work, since the fuel would boil away instantly and there is no air for ignition. Finally, the wheels wouldn't fit very well on the maglev track. So no, I wouldn't say that's possible :P (However, it would be very easy to change the code to make it possible, and even then the regular trains would not be able to go any faster, and you might as well use the vactrains anyway)
Train Enthusiast
Engineer
Engineer

Emperor Jake wrote:Let's see...
In either case, the driver would suffocate because the cabins aren't pressurised. The diesel engine would also not work, since the fuel would boil away instantly and there is no air for ignition. Finally, the wheels wouldn't fit very well on the maglev track. So no, I wouldn't say that's possible :P (However, it would be very easy to change the code to make it possible, and even then the regular trains would not be able to go any faster, and you might as well use the vactrains anyway)
Thanks for the info, cause I thought the vactrains would be very ex, so...
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Of course they're expensive, they're basically airliner fuselages mounted on maglev trains. You have to make enough money first (this is very easy once you get the hang of OpenTTD) The upcoming release will have adjustable cost parameters, btw.
Train Enthusiast
Engineer
Engineer

Emperor Jake wrote:Of course they're expensive, they're basically airliner fuselages mounted on maglev trains. You have to make enough money first (this is very easy once you get the hang of OpenTTD) The upcoming release will have adjustable cost parameters, btw.
The adjustable cost parameters would be great! Thanks!
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Emperor Jake wrote: The upcoming release will have adjustable cost parameters, btw.
I suggest you make parameters something like "normal expensive", "very expensive" and "WTF is this number expensive"... :mrgreen:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

It's something like that already - check out the new repository on the devzone 8) I'm currently working on polishing the code and preparing the set for future generations of vactrains. I may even include freight wagons, but the will become available around 2200 :twisted:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/vactrainset
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

TBH, I haven't played a single second since May. :lol: I really must restart...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Niki1412
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Niki1412 »

Is it normal that vac trains almost slow down to zero when they enter a curve?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

It depends on how tight your curves are and the length of your trains. If a curve is too tight, a vactrain will slow down to a few hundred km/h, which is hardly "almost zero" as you described. Vactrains are considerably more tolerant around curves than ordinary maglev trains. Could you post a screenshot or savegame please?
SniperDJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SniperDJ »

maybe a stupid reaction.

i was thinking about a vacuum tube. if you could create a vacuum over such a long distance, it is actually a bit strange to use monorail in the vacuum.

since maglev trains float on air, and ONLY have the resistance of AIR which slows them down.
if you remove the air, voila a vacuum. and you do not have anything which slows you down.
because of that you could, hypothetical reach UNLIMITED speed.

i only suggest that it is more realistic to use maglev in a vacuum.
ImageImageTake a look at my Australia Scenario (work in progress)Image Proud citizen of The Netherlands
recently aquired the FCE
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Vacuum doesn't mean that there is no gravity. The maglev counters the gravity force with magnets making a counter-force. Yes, it is possible to do it your way but then what's the difference between that and a normal maglev? I think that what Jake has done is to add another completely separate type of rail transport and it's better this way IMO. Monorails remain monorails, maglevs remain maglevs, vacuum remains vacuum.
SniperDJ wrote:ecause of that you could, hypothetical reach UNLIMITED speed.
And what's the effect of that on a living human?
SniperDJ wrote:i only suggest that it is more realistic to use maglev in a vacuum.
IMO, the "realism" aspect is exactly the same. Besides, creating a maglev effect needs A LOT of energy which you don't need in simple monorails. Therefore, someone could deduct that maglevs are less realistic than monorails.
SniperDJ wrote:maybe a stupid reaction.
Different ideas are NEVER stupid. They make us think different approaches and make us strive for better solutions. :wink:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Voyager One wrote:And what's the effect of that on a living human?
None I guess. It's acceleration that breaks us. So as long as that isn't too high.

That's actually also the problem of efficient maglev projects: stations distances are often so close that even maglev can't reach top speed before it has to brake into the station. That is why you don't see a lot of maglev outside: there's no point in having it.

Would be a nice math problem though. Assuming acceptable acceleration values (take those of maglev) and assume infinite constant accelleration, how long would it take to travel around earth. And what would your speed be if you don't brake? :D
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

FooBar wrote:Would be a nice math problem though.
Count me out of this! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leon

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Releases”