[OTTD] The Vactrain Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Vacuum Tube Train (Vactrain) Set

Post by HGus »

Actually, the TTDPatch multihead switch aditional speed is limited up to 100% (default 35%).
From TTDPatch manual:
Another small benefit of additional engines is that they increase the maximum speed slightly, because there is some excess power available to accelerate the train to a higher speed. The first additional engine adds 20%, the next one 10%, and a third extra engines add another 5%. After that adding more engines will not increase the speed any more. The amount of this increase (in percent) is an option to the switch, the default is 35% in total. If you want the game to be more realistic, you should probably disable the speed increase using multihead 0. Otherwise, the parameter can be anything between 0 and 100, in which case the additional engines add 4/7, 2/7 and 1/7 of that amount, respectively.
Now, my question:

I found in Bananas two files:

Vacuum_Tube_Train-0.22.tar
Vacuum_Vehicle_Wagon_and_Train-0.22.tar

Should I load both to get Vactrain working?
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

Yes, the program use the 2 files to work.

Vacuum_Tube_Train-0.22.tar --> For the infraestructure.
Vacuum_Vehicle_Wagon_and_Train-0.22.tar --> For the vehicles.
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

Mtlbss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mtlbss »

Hi, very thx for your work, i'm always use the vac on my scn^^

You can see it on "Mt cool server FIRS UltraHard" when it's on....

This train is really more interesting than the mag and the mono and i don't use them bcse i used too the finishTrainset, so, with the Nu track and the Vac i have all i need to cross time from 1800 to infinie^^
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Vacuum Tube Track and Train Set

Post by trainman1432 »

GullLars wrote:Thanks man, i've been thinking about this for some time as something that could be usefull IRL in the future,
Ok, maybe this is a dumb time to mention this, BUT :!: , they are actually constructing the lines(at least that's what i think,) and a couple should be done around 2015 (MAYBE) Ill have to take another look.

E:
SwissMetro: Example 1
Jetrain
YATTC
thanui
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thanui »

I made some editing to this GRF. Mail vagon now can transport cargo of any type. Maybe its not realistic, but I hope there is demand for it.
Attachments
vactrain.grf
(41.8 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

thanui wrote:I made some editing to this GRF. Mail vagon now can transport cargo of any type. Maybe its not realistic, but I hope there is demand for it.
You should at least rename it so that it's not downloaded or used in confusion with the original set. Ideally, though, you should probably just release a NewGRF that only has the altered wagon.
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Vacuum Tube Track and Train Set

Post by HGus »

trainman1432 wrote:
GullLars wrote:Thanks man, i've been thinking about this for some time as something that could be usefull IRL in the future,
Ok, maybe this is a dumb time to mention this, BUT :!: , they are actually constructing the lines(at least that's what i think,) and a couple should be done around 2015 (MAYBE) Ill have to take another look.
According to Wikipedia, the project was cancelled due to lack of funds in 2009 http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissmetro

But, in http://www.swissmetro.ch/de/ you can see there is a "Pro Swissmetro" comite trying to restore the project (asking for money)
zeentch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zeentch »

I am currently using the modified NewGRF where the mail wagon is refittable into any type of cargo, and i know that refitting is probably easier than having a wagon for each cargo however the difference in carrying capacity between the VacTube and MagLev is a huge difference, for instance MagLev can carry 37t of wood per wagon while the vactube can only carry 15t of wood per wagon, i know that vactube is way faster than maglev but the acceleration is still the same and when it comes to slopes and bridges the maglev is more efficient than vactube (from what i have tested so far).

If you have a straight line from one side of the map to the other then vactubes are more efficient if you don't have any slopes or bridges since they have the speed advantage but without being able to build over roads or having decent bridges for them to travel on it's not the best option for most cargo types.

If someone either could make a newgrf with higher amount of cargo or a newgrf with cargo wagons on i would be a very happy person. :) (Spritewise i think you can use the monorail sprites and just edit the amount they can carry)

or if this is to much for anyone then please teach me how to edit/make newgrf's and ill attempt this myself :)
DeletedUser16
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser16 »

Why did the OP make the tracks use the monorail graphics instead of maglev? Wouldn't it make more sense and look a lot nicer, if it used the maglev track graphics?

Also, do you need the train and wagon GRF to get the trains? The in-game description of the mod says it comes with the trains, but I've read you need the wagons mod, so I'm pretty unsure what to think. :?

Never mind, apparently you need both to get it working. The OP really should change the in-game description to say you need the wagon mod. Very misleading.

Nitpicking aside, great mod! Can't wait to get one of the trains going in-game!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

RegiSteel4Real22 wrote:Never mind, apparently you need both to get it working. The OP really should change the in-game description to say you need the wagon mod. Very misleading.
That's not true. The "Vacuum vehicule [sic] wagon" add-on is a third party addon that adds support for the ECS Vehicles cargo. You do not need it to use vactrains.

Also, the monorail tracks are placeholders, it is planned to eventually include new track graphics, plus more trains for different cargos.
DeletedUser16
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser16 »

Emperor Jake wrote:
RegiSteel4Real22 wrote:Never mind, apparently you need both to get it working. The OP really should change the in-game description to say you need the wagon mod. Very misleading.
That's not true. The "Vacuum vehicule [sic] wagon" add-on is a third party addon that adds support for the ECS Vehicles cargo. You do not need it to use vactrains.

Also, the monorail tracks are placeholders, it is planned to eventually include new track graphics, plus more trains for different cargos.
Oh ok. Glad to know you are still working on this mod, and plan on making new graphics for it! Are you gonna use the default maglev track with a tube overlay, or are you gonna draw some entirely new sprites from scratch?

How come after 3 years of development, you still haven't added new track graphics?

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions.
hpfx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hpfx »

Emperor Jake wrote:Also, the monorail tracks are placeholders, it is planned to eventually include new track graphics, plus more trains for different cargos.
First of all, thank you for all you already done.
I play every day with your vac, but I wait for next version to have more train.
Also I think you go so quickly to high speed : starting from 2027 you already go at 3200 km/h (remind previous engine speed is only 405 km/s 7 year earlier:lev1) going from 405 to 3200 is just wooowwww!
next speed change is 4100 km/h at year 2047, in only 20 year you reach max speed...
and last train arrive at year 2074 but have lower statistics.

I would propose a progressive speed evolution, like :
2030 first vac train with about 800km/h
2040 new train 1200km/h
2050 new train 2000km/h
2060 new train 2700km/h
2070 new train 3500km/h
2080 new train 4100km/h

it's just an idea...

I'm very happy with vaccum costs btw.
Thank you.
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

I found a little error while playing with JapanSet NewGRFs. The Vacuum Tube Train (Vactrain) Set automatically disables itself when I use any of the Japan sets. Is this a bug or is the grf not compatible when running a Japan-based game.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Japan Set Tracks uses up all of the available tracks by default. You will need to change the setting to use either Reduced or Minimal track selection if you want to use another NewGRF track set such as Vactrains. Also make sure you're running Japan Set 3: Tracks version 3.1, which should be available from the in-game content download system.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

I've seen some really nice graphics for some new trains in this thread, but they are at least 2 years old. They seem absent, which is a pity, as I would love to see more vactrains in OpenTTD. Are you still working on this? Or have you abandoned the project?

Also, I love your pack! It's awesome to play with.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Erato wrote:I've seen some really nice graphics for some new trains in this thread, but they are at least 2 years old. They seem absent, which is a pity, as I would love to see more vactrains in OpenTTD. Are you still working on this? Or have you abandoned the project?

I think vactrains is GPL v2? If it is, and your maglev tracks are too, you could just add the "vactunnel" catenary to the Transrapid and SCMaglev tracks graphically to make two more track types.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

SimYouLater wrote:
Erato wrote:I've seen some really nice graphics for some new trains in this thread, but they are at least 2 years old. They seem absent, which is a pity, as I would love to see more vactrains in OpenTTD. Are you still working on this? Or have you abandoned the project?

I think vactrains is GPL v2? If it is, and your maglev tracks are too, you could just add the "vactunnel" catenary to the Transrapid and SCMaglev tracks graphically to make two more track types.
The thing isn't that I want something to change about the tracks. The tracks are good as is and there's no reason for me to touch on them at all. I don't want the tracks to change. I want more vehicles to be used with these tracks.
Also no, Maglev Track Set is CC BY-NC.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Erato wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

The thing isn't that I want something to change about the tracks. The tracks are good as is and there's no reason for me to touch on them at all. I don't want the tracks to change. I want more vehicles to be used with these tracks.
Also no, Maglev Track Set is CC BY-NC.
Two things then...
  1. The original creator was planning to update the tracks anyway; that never happened, but the monorail is just a placeholder. If things went right, these tracks would end up with something like the SMITS that existed prior to your track set. While you can't re-license the vactube tracks, you could modify them to use your own tracks re-licensed as whatever license the vactrain is under, and if having the exact same version available under multiple licenses is an issue, then you could modify existing tracks of yours or even make better ones.
    1. You stated that's not what you want to have happen and I understand. Keep in mind that doing what you did with your own maglevs for the vactrain stuff, either as a refurbishment or a replacement project like the modern maglev, would greatly increase interest and give a good reason fro future additions in vehicles.
    2. If even that is too much, you could make a vehicle set compatible with the vactrain rails.
  2. If you like CC-BY-NC then by all means I'm not going to complain, but I recommend using either GPL v2 (freely editable as long as surce is provided), using PDM (Public Domain Mark, no restrictions), or if neither are acceptable; edit your signature to show what are your conditions for someone re-licensing your work as GPL v2 (this can apparently coount as legal permission in place of direct terms, since everyone can see them). For example, say "My work is always licensed as CC-BY-NC but you have my permission to re-license it under [license X] if you [condition X], or under [licence Y] if you [condition Y1] and [condition Y2].", and if someone follows that rule they're fine. If they don't, the mods will swiftly remove it so you don't have to worry.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

It seems to tough to upgrade normal rail, monorail or maglev to the vacuum lines because it doesn't allow level crossing.
Even though it seems to be very unrealistic but removing road will make local authorities furious and prevent me from building additional stations, so I think it is better to add a parameter to enable or disable level crossing of the vacuum lines.
Sent from my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Return to “Graphics Releases”