Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:16 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Rock Replacement for Transmitter

WOOT! I get to upload the first NewGRF of 2011!!

Ever play a 19th-century game and get annoyed by the fact that there are RADIO TRANSMITTERS in an era where such objects were not even available, let alone prevalent? Or just completely annoyed by these tall, unmovable structures in general? This NewGRF simply replaces the default transmitter graphic for a rock. Yes. Simple, gray, and also unmovable unless you use the cheat menu.

Released under GNU Public License v2. As of February 12, 2011 it is also available in OpenTTD via in-game content downloading system (BaNaNaS).

Edit 01/17/2016: Note to self, what about US Air Mail beacons?

Attachments:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png [ 120.07 KiB | Viewed 7570 times ]
Rock_Replacement_for_Transmitter.tar [20.5 KiB]
Downloaded 423 times

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

Last edited by kamnet on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:25 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Excellent ... Installed, tested and confirmed as a permanent member in good standing of my base grf cfg file. :D
(I did rename the file to transrock.grf so that it was clear at a glance what it was for. :wink: )

kamnet wrote:
This NewGRF simply replaces the default transmitter graphic for a rock.
What? You say you still want to be able to build a transmitter tower at the time and place of your own choosing? After installing kamnet's really cool grf, have a look over here and install this! 8)
(blatant self aggrandizing promotional promotion :mrgreen: )

Attachment:
transrock.png
transrock.png [ 17.79 KiB | Viewed 7560 times ]

Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:11 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

wallyweb wrote:
Excellent ... Installed, tested and confirmed as a permanent member in good standing of my base grf cfg file. :D
(I did rename the file to transrock.grf so that it was clear at a glance what it was for. :wink: )

Good idea! Re-upped with new name. Shoulda thought of it myself.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:35 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Kamnet, you and I seem to think alike: It irked me that there were all sorts of transmitters in the late 18th and all of the 19th century in the game, even though they didn't really exist at the time!

I had thought of maybe drawing up a small fort or outpost or something to replace them, but this works well too!

/Me goes to download quickly!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:57 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Can I request the original source? I'd like to make it an option in OpenGFX+ landscape :-) - I hope you don't mind. It really looks nice!

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:06 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

planetmaker wrote:
Can I request the original source? I'd like to make it an option in OpenGFX+ landscape :-) - I hope you don't mind. It really looks nice!

Yep, already posted here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:23 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Ah, missed that. Thank you :-)

EDIT: it also looks nice on terrain without grids </shameless plug> ;-)

Attachments:
File comment: ogfx+landscape
ogfx-landscape.png
ogfx-landscape.png [ 257.83 KiB | Viewed 7393 times ]

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:48 am 
Chairman
Chairman

Awesome! Thank you!!! Very realistic to have to detour around an outcropping of solid rock.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:17 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Just an FYI, now available on BaNaNaS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:15 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Since I'm thinking about it, would anybody like to draw this VOR station for me? :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:14 am 

Nice bump :mrgreen:

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:10 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Chrill wrote:
Nice bump :mrgreen:

Yeah, somebody asked how to get rid of the transmitter, so I linked here and then started to think about it. Coincidentally enough, yesterday was the 6th anniversary of my greatest masterpiece. ;) Happy Birthday, Rock Replacement!

I can actually remember how I spent all day New Year's Eve working on it. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am 
Engineer
Engineer

unrelated but still:
what about an windmill replacement for transmitter ? an windmill is ageless and ever looks nice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:26 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

MlemandPurrs wrote:
unrelated but still:
what about an windmill replacement for transmitter ? an windmill is ageless and ever looks nice.

Yep, we could do that too. Now I just need a windmill. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:36 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Put some sails on a lighthouse GRF ^^;
Attachment:
brilliant.png
brilliant.png [ 2.55 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]

... hm, well, alright, maybe not quite like that ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:49 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

One of the "Dutch ..." newgrf ought to have some graphics as there are windmills in netherland.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:47 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

A long time ago Caelan has kindly given me permission to reuse and/or alter his graphics and release those under GPLv2-license.
One of those graphics was a windmill.
I have altered that graphic, added texture and also colorcorrected it (as in the original version Caelan did not use the Openttd-palette, so some colors were animated)
The version without blades looks pretty good in my humble opinion, but the trick is with the angle of the blades.
In Caelans original version and Pyoro's version the blades look like they are facing straight at the player. I do not think that is correct (even though it is possible, as the top of a windmill can be rotated to get the most wind), it just doesnt look right...
So I made two new directions of the blades, maybe there is one that is useable, or it may give inspiration to make it even better.
If anyone uses these graphics, please be so kind to mention Caelan in the credit-section of the (donot)readme file (I know its not obligatory for GPLv2, but it is nice and kind to do so ;-) ).
Attachment:
Windmill_01.png
Windmill_01.png [ 8.89 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]

The untextured version is also there, just in case you may not like the colors and want to recolor before texturing, makes that a bit easier ;-)

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.