Maritime Collection (MariCo) v0.37

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Maritime Collection (MariCo) v0.3

Post by arikover »

michael blunck wrote:
arikover wrote: I noticed two minor glitches :
1) The south- and the north-facing quays let some of the coast appear, when using the OTTD graphic baseset.
*EDIT: added arrows
Yeah, like Wally said. The problem is that an OTTD artist decided for a very different shape for his beach tiles. So, it´s a catch-22: in case I´d enlarge the water overlay to hide that surplus shape, there would be more original water added to that "OTTD water". And since base sets cannot be detected, there´s no relief.
So if I understood well, this issue can only be solved by:
  • - either enlarging the water overlay, but this would imply 'Original TTD' water close to new OTTD water,
    - or selecting (via parameter) which base set to use, but this would imply a big amount of work, both in coding and drawing.
Am I getting this right?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

arikover wrote: selecting (via parameter) which base set to use [?]
Nah, that´s too complicated, especially with the need of user interaction.

Question: regarding your screenshot, is the glitch on the right side of that downward corner the most prominent in all cases? And there are no glitches on the left and right corners?

Given that there´s already the largest water overlay on the straight quay sprites (not the corners), I could try to enlarge the water overlay on those corner sprites a bit more. Only problem seems to be that single downward corner tile, since that "OTTD coast" occupies nearly all the tile.

Anyway, would this (two different water types) look acceptable in-game when being animated (I don´t use those OTTD graphics, so I can´t get an idea of it)? In comparison to already existing overlay water on straight quay tiles?

regards
Michael
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

michael blunck wrote:Question: regarding your screenshot, is the glitch on the right side of that downward corner the most prominent in all cases? And there are no glitches on the left and right corners?
quays.png
quays.png (35.59 KiB) Viewed 7245 times
I just tested the set again, to be sure. I didn't see any other glitch than the north and the south facing quays. East and west facing tiles present no problem.
michael blunck wrote:Anyway, would this (two different water types) look acceptable in-game when being animated (I don´t use those OTTD graphics, so I can´t get an idea of it)? In comparison to already existing overlay water on straight quay tiles?
The two water types are already present in-game, for example with the SW or the SE facing quays. At normal zoom level, you don't even notice the two water types. And when fully-zoomed, you barely notice it. So I guess extending the overlay, as you propose, would be a good solution to hide the glitch, provided it doesn't break the compatibility with standard TTD tiles.

I also have a suggestion: could it be possible to build over existing NewObjects without having to destroy them? I tested VAST Objects, and was able to do so. Is it possible to add that behaviour to MariCo, or would it make the Set buggy?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

arikover wrote: I also have a suggestion: could it be possible to build over existing NewObjects without having to destroy them? [...]
Technically, yes. Would you like to practice your German? See http://www.tt-ms.de/forum/showthread.ph ... 7#pid83637 :cool:

regards
Michael
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

michael blunck wrote:Technically, yes. Would you like to practice your German? See http://www.tt-ms.de/forum/showthread.ph ... 7#pid83637 :cool:
(really interesting thread, and forum. I should register, I'm sure I'd make tremendous progress in german)
Thanks for the explanation!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

arikover wrote: Thanks for the explanation!
OTOH, I am pondering whether to allow "overbuilding" for those objects where it would work, or if that´ll be irritating for the users.

PS: I´m going to look into the water overlays, as discussed.

regards
Michael
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Frequently I accidentally build a tile in one direction when I meant for it to be the other. Overbuilding easily allows me to fix my lapse in attention.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Agreed, overbuilding is really useful for tweaking scenes until they look right as well as for fixing mistakes. :) Especially on the coastal tiles, where it's not even possible to immediately replace a tile after destroying the previous one (because it's not a 'coast' tile until the mud goes away).
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FLHerne wrote: [...] Especially on the coastal tiles, where it's not even possible to immediately replace a tile after destroying the previous one (because it's not a 'coast' tile until the mud goes away).
And more so, as explained in my post on the German forums, there are many objects which not only need a coast tile, but depend also on other tiles, e.g. a neighbour flat water tile, so "overbuilding" won´t work for quite a number of MariCo´s objects. Therefore, ATM, I didn´t allow for overbuilding at all, simply because that "mixed behaviour" might be irritating for the user.

regards
Michael
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

IMO, a big YES for overbuilding. I'm a pedantic freak regarding looks and I often want perfection. And it irritates me that every time I make a mistake, I have to press the bulldoze button which closes the NewObjects window which I need to reopen and re-search for the appropriate NewObjects grf and the again re-search for the tile I want. Too tedious IMO.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

michael blunck wrote:And more so, as explained in my post on the German forums, there are many objects which not only need a coast tile, but depend also on other tiles, e.g. a neighbour flat water tile, so "overbuilding" won´t work for quite a number of MariCo´s objects.
Couldn't you check for 'slope and adjacent flat sea tile', to allow building on soon-to-be-coast tiles? The graphics don't work properly with canals anyway* and seawater tiles can only ever be at the bottom of a sloped tile, so it wouldn't allow anything worse than the current system.
Or did this rather less experienced grfist miss something? :p

*at least with the OGFX graphics, although I can't see how the TTD ones could be better.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FLHerne wrote: Couldn't you check for 'slope and adjacent flat sea tile', to allow building on soon-to-be-coast tiles?
That would be even more complicated as it is done now (check if slope type is OK, and check if it is a water tile (i.e. "coast")), which doesn´t need to check for an *adjacent* sea water tile.

And BTW, this has nothing to do with the overbuilding problems for some of the objects being mentioned here.

regards
Michael
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

I have released MariCo version 0.31, which fixes some small bugs.

For download please see first post in this thread.

have fun
Michael
praguzz
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Maritime Collection (MariCo) v0.31

Post by praguzz »

Thanks for the new release michael, but the shoreline bug still happen if I put moles on the south corner
Attachments
Pindburg Bay Transport, 17th Feb 1973.png
(43.25 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

praguzz wrote: [...] the shoreline bug still happen if I put moles on the south corner
Hm. I had been told that there woulnd´t be any more glitches ...

Could you please test all other quay/mole combinations for more glitches with taht kind of water, please?

regards
Michael
praguzz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by praguzz »

sure
Attachments
Pindburg Bay Transport, 15th Jun 1973.png
(37.17 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Thanks.

Hm. Inspecting the sprites, I think there should be even more combinations. Could you please try to add *2* moles to that corners?

[edit]
Never mind, I´ve fixed 6 more sprites.
[/edit]

regards
Michael
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

:oops: I thought I spotted them all...

With 2 moles per corner, the problem appears just on the north one. The moles on the south corner hide the glitch, I guess.
Attachments
2 moles per corner.png
2 moles per corner.png (43.45 KiB) Viewed 6648 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

@all

Please re-download the set if you have problems with custom water compatibility.

regards
Michael
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Michael, I think I've found two problems with MariCo 0.31.

#1 - ALL quays and similar stuff (sub-menus Quays, Ships on Quays, New Quays) that has to be built on slope, CANNOT be built on a slope that has been bulldozed. I've tried them all and they all build normally on "green" slopes but refuse to build on "brown" slopes (pic below).
Quays on bulldozed slopes.png
(78.33 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

#2 - Land-based drydocks refuse to build in south-east and south-west (pics below).
Drydock south-east.png
(54.83 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Drydock south-west.png
(54.64 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

... or am I doing something wrong? :?
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield

Return to “Graphics Releases”