OpenGFX+ Trains

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Cecil Cityscape
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenGFX+ Trains

Post by Cecil Cityscape »

Just a quick bug report witht the lev4, there are some alignment issues with passenger carriages.
Attachments
tmp_5923-Screenshot_2017-03-27-09-53-421852148054.png
(766.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cecil Cityscape is the name of an avatar in Chris Sawyer's Locomotion
Cheers from the Dominion of Canada! :lol: 8)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I'm using a slight variation of this for my own vehicle set.

I tried to change the Chaney/Jubilee speed from 70mph to 60mph but it doesn't work. I just add a line "speed: 60mph;" in what seems to be the appropriate place (in the properties { } section).

So, is it possible to change the speed and if so, any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I have to disable the Chaney entry and then recreate it?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

3iff wrote: 19 Nov 2019 10:43 I'm using a slight variation of this for my own vehicle set.

I tried to change the Chaney/Jubilee speed from 70mph to 60mph but it doesn't work. I just add a line "speed: 60mph;" in what seems to be the appropriate place (in the properties { } section).

So, is it possible to change the speed and if so, any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I have to disable the Chaney entry and then recreate it?
I'd expect to add that after line 23 in https://kallithea.openttdcoop.org/ogfx- ... bilee.pnml should do the trick.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Yes, that did the trick. I was just adding the correct command in the wrong place before. Many Thanks (as always!)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Wow, was this really 2 years ago?

Another related question. I was to change the SH30 and SH40 so they don't think they are electric...but I'm getting nowhere.
I suspect it might be something in-game that prevents such a change but maybe someone knows better.

Also, if anyone has any freight rail wagons suitable for this set I'd appreciate having them. I'm trying to expand the range of freight wagons so there's a bit of variation for my custom set.
Droideka30
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Droideka30 »

So I'm noticing that when playing with this newGRF, the grid lines in train depots seem to have disappeared. Any idea how to get them back?
Skarfester
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skarfester »

OpenGFX+ Trains added new graphics but not all of them are 32bpp (like the maglev and Toyland engines). I've edited the last release in order to make these engines use the base game graphics from z/abase, so now all engines are 32bpp.
I did something similar with OpenGFX+ Industries, although I broke some animations.

You can download this newgrf here (ogfx-trains32bpp.grf): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wumRlJ ... sp=sharing
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Skarfester wrote: 09 Feb 2024 19:16 OpenGFX+ Trains added new graphics but not all of them are 32bpp (like the maglev and Toyland engines). I've edited the last release in order to make these engines use the base game graphics from z/abase, so now all engines are 32bpp.
I did something similar with OpenGFX+ Industries, although I broke some animations.

You can download this newgrf here (ogfx-trains32bpp.grf): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wumRlJ ... sp=sharing
You might also want to consider collaborating with Zepheris on OpenGFX2 Hi-Res graphics.
Skarfester
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skarfester »

kamnet wrote: 10 Feb 2024 00:25 You might also want to consider collaborating with Zepheris on OpenGFX2 Hi-Res graphics.
Oh, I'd love to, but I don't know how to code or draw graphics. Those are just cheap hacks without really understanding what I'm doing... :P
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

How does it work with OpenTTD? :lol:

Christopher Tarana
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CTarana45 wrote: 17 Feb 2024 02:23 How does it work with OpenTTD? :lol:

Christopher Tarana
It is a NewGRF replacement for the original in-game trains. Many years ago it was created, in part, to accept all NewGRF cargoes that the original in-game trains couldn't use, but that's not been necessary since OpenTTD 12. However, it's still useful for those who wish to use the original in-game trains as well as NewGRF train sets that typically override the original trains. The set also features improved graphics and stats over the original in-game trains.
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDarkGiganotosaur »

Skarfester wrote: 09 Feb 2024 19:16OpenGFX+ Trains added new graphics but not all of them are 32bpp (like the maglev and Toyland engines). I've edited the last release in order to make these engines use the base game graphics from z/abase, so now all engines are 32bpp.
Normally, I'd prefer a non-32bpp version of OpenGFX+ Trains (or at least with a parameter toggle which switches between 8bpp and 32bpp). It's not that I don't like 32bpp (in fact I really do like it) but I'm not fond of jumbled 8bpp and 32bpp graphics--it's either just 8bpp or 32bpp, but that's just my humble opinion.
kamnet wrote: 17 Feb 2024 04:01However, it's still useful for those who wish to use the original in-game trains as well as NewGRF train sets that typically override the original trains. The set also features improved graphics and stats over the original in-game trains.
Unfortunately, the stable 0.3.0 version has some issues with the alignments (especially the monorail/maglev engines/wagons) and very few visual glitches which still haven't been fixed for years. Therefore... and regarding what I said above (about prefering a non-32bpp version of this train set), I say these issues should be fixed first (and ASAP) before moving on to the 32bpp version, but I digress.
[+] Spoiler
OGFXT_Problems.jpg
(897.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Anyway, I still love this train set (and the best part is that one can use this train set alongside with the other railway-only sets such as Iron Horse and others, and one can simply choose only monorail and maglev) but what's nearly stopping me from using this train set is the issues I stated above. Until they're fixed, I'm going to have to rely on few of my own workarounds, which seem to work fine.
[+] Spoiler
OGFXT_Workarounds.jpg
(756.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Oh, well, I hope there will be a OpenGFX2+ Trains in the future...
The Dark Giganotosaur, the ghastly dinosaur (currently in human form)
"My favorite type of transport vehicles? Trains and streetcars/trams." | My Music | My Arts (TBA)
Windows 10 x64 (NEVER USED) | Knoppix 8.1+ x64 | Linux Mint 20.3 Xfce x64
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Given that this is open source and unmaintained at the moment, it's ripe for somebody to pick it up and move the source code over to GitHub and start taking submissions for community fixes.
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDarkGiganotosaur »

Regretfully, my knowledge for developing NewGRF's is extremely low, otherwise I would've gladly taken up this cup, as it were. Besides, not everyone is born knowing how to code, draw, et cetera nor they have the same learning capabilities, IQ, et cetera as the developers. After all, we all have our own limitations, let alone our real-life issues and the lack of free time. Image

As for this train set being currently unmaintained, I know it's sad but it's also fully understandable if the original author is either inactive or no longer developing/maintaining, et cetera and... like you said, it's ripe for somebody to pick it up--which I hope it'll happen very soon. Same goes for the "seemingly" unmaintained NewGRF's such as NUTS, BRIX, and few others that could use some love per se. Image

Still, the least I can do (and if time permits) is spotting whatever unusual occurrences I can find in the game and report them here on the forum... if someone else hasn't done so already, that is. Oh, and by the way, I don't use GitHub.
The Dark Giganotosaur, the ghastly dinosaur (currently in human form)
"My favorite type of transport vehicles? Trains and streetcars/trams." | My Music | My Arts (TBA)
Windows 10 x64 (NEVER USED) | Knoppix 8.1+ x64 | Linux Mint 20.3 Xfce x64

Return to “Graphics Releases”