[OTTD] SMITS v1.0

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Shanghai Maglev Tracks

Post by Froix »

* Fixed all known glitches.. kinda.. Unfortunately, there's no fix for the tunnel glitch that I know of. Trying out a new tunnel instead. So when do we get a tunneltype feature? :mrgreen:

* Finally added parameters. See first post.

planetmaker wrote:Thus I'd like to recommend to look at rail types again and "just" replace the tracks. And possibly make other changes optional, selectable via newgrf parameters.
Exactly what I did. I've been using the railtype feature since you first mentioned it. :wink: The problem is I've made too much changes to the bridge which is now fixed hopefully.
Kogut wrote:Maybe you can add also newgrf bridge replacing silicon bridge?
That's probably what I should've done in the first place. An even better solution would be an additional new bridge exclusive to the track but I don't think that's possible yet, I think.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nice :-)

I just wanted to propse the parameter usage - but then I discovered that you did nearly just what I wanted to propose :-). Personally I'd make defaults such that it works w/o base set replacements in OpenTTD, that is w/o tunnels and bridges. But I guess that's subject to personal preference, I come from a MP server, and there such things are necessary in a heterogenous environment.

If you want more variety and are bored after a certain date, here a collection of ideas, whether sensible or not I leave each one to judge: It's of course feasable via varaction2 to change the look of the tracks after a certain date ;-) Or look of depots, and fences with time. Do you have snowy maglev already? There are 2 random bits (=4 choices) for each tile. Maybe use that for some variation, if appropriate. Or make a version where you abuse the catanery: maglev in a semi-transparent tube, suitable for inner-city transport maybe...

Good job! :-)

One last plea: Please give you NewGRF a good license so that it won't get lost to the community no matter what, I've seen too many of those: choose GPL or CC-BY (and no NC or ND clause as it will result in your work not being able to be continued by others if you're not around). Both GPL and CC-BY require that you're always credited, whether people ask you in person or not). You're very welcome to host your newgrf's repository on the DevZone. Send forum mail or join #openttdcoop.devzone on irc.oftc.net for details.
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

* Snowy sprites added
* Parameters reordered
* Depot and Tunnel redesigned again and again...

There's more stuff I'd like to work on when I get more free time but that's it for now.

Thanks!
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] SMITS v1.0

Post by Froix »

Update
  • added custom station
  • reworked track shadows
  • added custom fences
  • added custom icons/cursors
  • changed depot
  • bridge revamped
  • renamed the whole thing to SMITS - I initially intended to copy the actual Shanghai station but heh.. Me got lazy and besides the ridges on my track aren't exactly shanghaiy.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nice to see yet another update :-)

You seem to have set faulty version requirements in you bananas entry, though; it's not available, neither with 1.0.4-RC1 nor current nightlies (and given that the download count is 0, probably with hardly any version). Maybe you can revise that and ... just remove any OpenTTD version restriction unless that's technically required for anything > 1.0.0
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Well that explains why I can't see it via online content.

I see it now. Thanks!!
54x
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 54x »

planetmaker wrote:One last plea: Please give you NewGRF a good license so that it won't get lost to the community no matter what, I've seen too many of those: choose GPL or CC-BY (and no NC or ND clause as it will result in your work not being able to be continued by others if you're not around). Both GPL and CC-BY require that you're always credited, whether people ask you in person or not). You're very welcome to host your newgrf's repository on the DevZone. Send forum mail or join #openttdcoop.devzone on irc.oftc.net for details.
How would a CC-BY-NC license effect the ability of others to continue your work? As long as you're not taking donations for it, or hosting it somewhere that pays you a commission for its advertising, I don't see how an NC license would interfere, but maybe I'm missing something. If you're going to use Creative Commons I'd definitely reccomend a Share Alike license- (the code is CC-BY-SA) that not only protects your original work for free use, but the license is then viral to all derivative works.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

54x wrote:If you're going to use Creative Commons I'd definitely reccomend a Share Alike license- (the code is CC-BY-SA) that not only protects your original work for free use, but the license is then viral to all derivative works.
Except that CC-BY-SA is incompatible with GPL. Which is unfortunate. :)

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/GPL_com ... _use_cases

Just use GPL (please).
54x
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 54x »

andythenorth wrote:
54x wrote:If you're going to use Creative Commons I'd definitely reccomend a Share Alike license- (the code is CC-BY-SA) that not only protects your original work for free use, but the license is then viral to all derivative works.

Just use GPL (please).
Sigh, this is really the problem with GPL, but given that OTTD is licensed with it, I'd have to agree. :)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

54x wrote:
andythenorth wrote:

Just use GPL (please).
Sigh, this is really the problem with GPL, but given that OTTD is licensed with it, I'd have to agree. :)
I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of this relicensed under GPLv2 instead of GPLv3. These graphics have always been my favorite maglev tracks and I'm considering putting them in BARRB (provided the community doesn't object to me stitching a bunch of their GPLv2 railtypes onto the project) so it would be great to use these... except GPLv3 is "much more strict" and incompatible with v2.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

Return to “Graphics Releases”