The Polman's Nusantara Town Names (based on several countries in Southeast Asia)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

The Polman
Engineer
Engineer

The Polman's Nusantara Town Names (based on several countries in Southeast Asia)

Post by The Polman »

A first glimpse of a huge set of town names based on real-world cities and towns all across Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei and some from Singapore:

As so far, I have 4300 town names included in the list. It not just consists of the well-known capitals and big cities, not just the capitals of Kabupaten (regencies) or Provinsi (provinces), no it consists of all names of Kecamatan (municipalities)! At this moment I finished up to Java, Nusa Tenggara (the smaller islands east of Java, including Bali), Sumatra and Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo). Bigger cities from elsewhere are included as well. Sometimes I needed to find a way to include actual names for villages if the municipal names are quite uninspiring (like Alor west, east, north and south, that can better of course!). And while many suffixes are spared, those of wind directions in Indonesian and Javanese are mostly removed as well. Ultimately, there will be representation of all municipalities from the archipelaego, which is stretching as far as Netherlands-China, to give an example of the area size :shock: .

Of course that is ideal for huge maps for the ones liking these but always have trouble with the limitations of other sets (in which every village seems to end with "tricht" while in the real world there are barely any of them). This is also great for if the other big sets (like the extensive Dutch one, which I love though :bow: ) just don't fit well into your tropical, mystical idea of your precious landscape.

It is however a lot of work, so in a few days I'll be back with the actual GRF without the need to update any further.

Update: I'll give the temporary version already, be aware though that a definitive version needs yet to come. If something isn't right please tell me.
Attachments
Nusantaratownnames0.1.grf
Please check if it doesn't double with other GRF codes
(46.75 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
The Polman
Engineer
Engineer

Re: The Polman's Nusantara Town Names (based on several countries in Southeast Asia)

Post by The Polman »

Days became weeks, weeks became months, months became almost two years. I had, if I'm not wrong, added the names from the remaining towns on the Indonesian islands but forgot to upload the file with 5543 town names.
nusantaratownnames.grf
(58.11 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Return to “Graphics Releases”