[UNIV] Wallyweb's Graphics Releases

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

silver_777
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [UNIV] Wallyweb's Graphics Releases

Post by silver_777 »

Great ! At last 8) Just wanted to ask about building rocky ground tiles. Is it available at this stage?

Looking forward to this project :D
"The Quiet Things That Noone Ever Knows"
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

slaca wrote:In openttd i can't build lighthouse next to the water like in your second post, except i plant a tree first :) (maybe openttd's 'bug')
Now that I have OTTD installed on my system at home I will test this further.
Small lighthouses have not shadow (when pressing 'X' button), but the towers have.
I'll look into this as well, although I'm not sure what you mean by a shadow. A screenshot comparing the two objects and their shadows (or lack thereof) would definitely help with a fix if one is required.
planetmaker wrote:But I'm somewhat unable to build any tower or light house. Do any restrictions apply like introduction or expire dates or climate restrictions? I tried arctic in the year 2000 which didn't seem too uncommon to me and both objects were grayed-out. And before I now start to try each climate and date I thought I ask better
There should not be any restrictions. You are planetmaker, so I'm sure you have the latest nightly. The nfo code was included with your download package. Do you see anything that might cause this for you?
SILVER_777 wrote:Just wanted to ask about building rocky ground tiles. Is it available at this stage?
If you are using TTDPatch, the rocky ground tiles are in the default file released in the newobject tutorial. If you are using OpenTTD, I still have to do a default newobject grf, hopefully based on OpenGFX. More about that later.

Thank you one and all for your interest. :bow:
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

wallyweb wrote:
SILVER_777 wrote:Just wanted to ask about building rocky ground tiles. Is it available at this stage?
If you are using TTDPatch, the rocky ground tiles are in the default file released in the newobject tutorial. If you are using OpenTTD, I still have to do a default newobject grf, hopefully based on OpenGFX. More about that later.

Thank you one and all for your interest. :bow:
I would think that shouldn't be needed if you are plucking the original sprites out programatically if that is possbile ie. not you actually including them in the grf.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

robotboy wrote:I would think that shouldn't be needed if you are plucking the original sprites out programatically if that is possbile ie. not you actually including them in the grf.
Actually I'm doing a bit of each. Each newobject tile consists of a groundsprite which I access programatically. This is what you see in transparent mode. Then I do the actuall sprite from a sprite sheet. I find it easier to manage this way, although I could probably do this part programaticaaly as well.
slaca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slaca »

Small lighthouses have not shadow (when pressing 'X' button), but the towers have.
I'll look into this as well, although I'm not sure what you mean by a shadow. A screenshot comparing the two objects and their shadows (or lack thereof) would definitely help with a fix if one is required.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

slaca wrote:Small lighthouses have not shadow (when pressing 'X' button), but the towers have.
Thanks for the screenshot. It's not so much as a shadow that is missing as it is one of the transparent phases. I'll get back to you tomorrow on this one.

About your other question, I have moved it over to here. Hopefully Rubidium will see it and provide an answer. Thanks for bringing these to my attention. 8)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:
planetmaker wrote:But I'm somewhat unable to build any tower or light house. Do any restrictions apply like introduction or expire dates or climate restrictions? I tried arctic in the year 2000 which didn't seem too uncommon to me and both objects were grayed-out. And before I now start to try each climate and date I thought I ask better
There should not be any restrictions. You are planetmaker, so I'm sure you have the latest nightly. The nfo code was included with your download package. Do you see anything that might cause this for you?
I checked versions, even on another computer, but the same result (OpenTTD r20835): objects are grayed out and whereever I click, I get of course the error message that the object cannot get built. I ran OpenTTD with grf debuging turned on and it didn't result in any complaints and I don't see anything suspicious in the source either... which is by the way extremely well commented (though I didn't yet check every single byte of each varaction2 sprite).

Besides that I noticed that you gave the windows and dos version different GRF-IDs. That's quite uncommon and might be a bit unfortunate... it allows to include the same grf twice.

EDIT: The error message reads in translation "object cannot be built"
Attachments
objects.png
objects.png (107.08 KiB) Viewed 751 times
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

You've set property 0B (climate availability) to 1, so both objects are only available in the temperate climate.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

doh. That was too obvious ;-) Thanks Yexo.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Yexo wrote:You've set property 0B (climate availability) to 1, so both objects are only available in the temperate climate.
I'll have to correct that to make it work in all climates. Give me a couple of days to get it done ... Check back Monday morning.
planetmaker wrote:Besides that I noticed that you gave the windows and dos version different GRF-IDs. That's quite uncommon and might be a bit unfortunate... it allows to include the same grf twice.
I did that on purpose so to make it easier for me to resolve any issues that may have been platformed based. I did include the platform as part of the grf's name in the Newgrf Status Window, so a player should see right away what platform the file is intended for.
slaca wrote:Small lighthouses have not shadow (when pressing 'X' button), but the towers have.]Small lighthouses have not shadow (when pressing 'X' button), but the towers have.
I checked it out and the same happens in TTDX's transparency modes. Both objects use the same code so I have to assume that the lighthouse is simply too small to resolve in transparency.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Is the small lighthouse is a full tile sized sprite?
(Since I noticed some small trails on the tile, I presume that those should be on the ground tile (or using multiple ground tile definition))...

If its added as a sprite on top of the ground tile, it'd explain it all going dark?

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Lakie wrote:Is the small lighthouse is a full tile sized sprite?
(Since I noticed some small trails on the tile, I presume that those should be on the ground tile (or using multiple ground tile definition))...

If its added as a sprite on top of the ground tile, it'd explain it all going dark?

~ Lakie
Well, those trails are a part of the building sprite. I'll go home and experiment.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I think what I wrote about the 2cc set also applies here:
This set is probably not complying with the GPL... It is stated that the code is under GPL, but the graphics not. That would be a violation of the GPL, as stated on the official GPL site. Or is a GRF file made from both together not a combined work?
What say you?
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I think you should have read the little "license files", it states the nfo code is under "GNU GPL", but the graphics are under "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License".

Since the whole grf is not under one license, I do not think that comment applies.
I personally think its acceptable to have a different license for the graphics and nfo code.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Lakie wrote:I personally think its acceptable to have a different license for the graphics and nfo code.
Agreed, since the nfo code and the graphics do not have to be used together. When the GRF is decoded, the nfo and the spritesheet are separate entities. Since the nfo is prescribed by the newgrf specifications, I have no control over it nor claim to it. On the other hand, the graphics are original works authored by myself.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Technically you're distributing a _single_ binary file, the grf - which cannot have two licenses. Only by means of a de-compiler, i.e. grfcodec, I can get hold of the single constituents, code and graphics, so it *might* be considered gray area.

Practically and technically wallyweb the sole author of all this, both the code and the graphics. Thus he can license it practictally and legally as he likes :-). Even when myself I'd like to see a more permissive license also attached to the graphics, adding a license at all is a gift. Adding none, would mean we'd have no right to whatsoever, not even giving the grf to the friend next door.
KahlilGibran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KahlilGibran »

Hi, where can i download the dams and the tower grf? I want to complete my mountain side town :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Attachments
00_Jan_Objects.png
00_Jan_Objects.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 750 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

KahlilGibran wrote: 13 Nov 2019 13:34 Hi, where can i download the dams and the tower grf? I want to complete my mountain side town :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
1.The tower is not mine. It is a part of another set for which I do some testing. That set is still very much under development and is far from ready for a release.
2. On the other hand, the dams are indeed mine and I am glad that you like them. They are still a work in progress, work that is frequently interrupted by other projects as well as real life commitments. The graphics are largely completed. I am now working out a modular system of assembly so that the player will have some flexibility when building them.The complicating factor is that they are heavily animated. I really must return my focus to this project. :D
KahlilGibran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KahlilGibran »

wallyweb wrote: 13 Nov 2019 14:47
KahlilGibran wrote: 13 Nov 2019 13:34 Hi, where can i download the dams and the tower grf? I want to complete my mountain side town :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
1.The tower is not mine. It is a part of another set for which I do some testing. That set is still very much under development and is far from ready for a release.
2. On the other hand, the dams are indeed mine and I am glad that you like them. They are still a work in progress, work that is frequently interrupted by other projects as well as real life commitments. The graphics are largely completed. I am now working out a modular system of assembly so that the player will have some flexibility when building them.The complicating factor is that they are heavily animated. I really must return my focus to this project. :D
I'm really looking foward for this grf. Please post it here after it complete. I'm a big fan of your work :bow: :D
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

:bow: :bow:

Return to “Graphics Releases”