DBXL extensions for ECS and FIRS

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

DBXL extensions for ECS and FIRS

Post by michael blunck »

[edit]
I´ve added a new version of the DBXL FIRS extension.

It´s not necessary to download it anew for OTTD users, the only change is a bug fix for TTDPatch, now resulting in a clean deactivation of the set. I.e., it´s of a rather cosmetical matter.
[/edit]

[edit october, 14th]
I´ve released a new version of the DBXL ECS extension, due to some inadequateness:

- FOOD and PAPR are switched in George´s ECS vectors (11 <-> 12),

- some wagons needed to be changed their action0 default cargo as well, because if that particular cargo was not available (by special arrangement of ECS vectors) funny things did happen.

The new version is "20.09.10" (date).
[/edit]

[edit nov, 9th]
I´ve released a new version of the DBXL FIRS extension which is compatible to the latest FIRS version (0.5.2)
[/edit]

[edit jan, 26th, 2011]
ZIP files with flat directory structure added. No changes to the newgrfs.
[/edit]

regards
Michael
Last edited by michael blunck on 13 Jun 2011 16:44, edited 5 times in total.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: DBXL extensions for ECS and FIRS

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

that's awesome ! thanks MB !
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Happy to see this. I liked the DBSetXL myself, but wasn't able to use it the FIRS industry set, so instead ended up using NARS all the time or the UKRS on occassion.

Now I can play with the DBSet! Thanks!
Without Trains America Stops

romrail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by romrail »

I seem to have a problem with the FIRS extension for DBSetXL.

The extension works OK with the road vehicles from the set, but it doesn't work for any of the rail cars. I've tried all the possible methods to see if I'm doing something wrong: i've tried to eliminate all the other newgrf's from my saved game (presuming that it's a conflict with one of the other grf's I'm using) but nothing seem's to help me get DBSet trains that support FIRS.
The only way in which I could partially solve this issue was to use "Old-wagons-new-cragos" but it show's some errors (for example: coal being loaded only in stake cars".

Is there something I'm doing wrong??? What should I do to get what I want (DBSet trains that support FIRS cargos)???
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Try to start new game, changes in running game may had strange results.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
romrail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by romrail »

I've tried that too, but it seems that some of the FIRS cargos (for example scrap iron, wool, gravel and many other) are still unavailable for DBSet rail cars (although the DBXL FIRS extension's readme says that they should be available).
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

romrail wrote:I've tried that too, but it seems that some of the FIRS cargos (for example scrap iron, wool, gravel and many other) are still unavailable for DBSet rail cars
Which version of FIRS?
romrail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by romrail »

First I've thought that my FIRS version was the problem (0.1.2) and I've just instaled FIRS 0.2, but it seems that my problem is still present.
romrail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by romrail »

I've finally solved my problem :D and now I'can play the DB set with FIRS extension.

Yet there's another problem: the DB Set FIRS extension works only with FIRS 0.1.2 and it's not compatible with the new FIRS 0.2
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

And nightlies.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

romrail wrote: Yet there's another problem: the DB Set FIRS extension works only with FIRS 0.1.2 and it's not compatible with the new FIRS 0.2
That´s because they´ve changed the set´s grf-ID. I´ll release an update whenever that new FIRS set gets "stable".

regards
Michael
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The fix is simple though, but I don't know if Michael allows me to describe it here.

A stable FIRS will probably take a while, a more permanent solution therefore would be to only match the first three bytes of the grfid. A different solution would be including dbxl_firs in FIRS itself.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FooBar wrote:The fix is simple though, but I don't know if Michael allows me to describe it here.

A stable FIRS will probably take a while, a more permanent solution therefore would be to only match the first three bytes of the grfid. A different solution would be including dbxl_firs in FIRS itself.
I'd strongly advise against the latter... that's in the vast majority of cases unneeded balast. And yes, I proposed already to only use the first three bytes... :-P
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FooBar wrote: A stable FIRS will probably take a while, a more permanent solution therefore would be to only match the first three bytes of the grfid.
Another problem would be those ongoing modifications of cargoes in FIRS. The extension cannot use a CTT (like a "primary" vehicle set would do) but needs the proper cargo bits. That´s where my second sentence from above comes into play.

I.e.: trustworthy grf-ID + stable cargo scheme -> updated FIRS extension. I´m really not interested to release an update each time something gets changed in FIRS.

regards
Michael
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

michael blunck wrote:I´m really not interested to release an update each time something gets changed in FIRS.
It makes no sense to chase a moving target.

Changes are and will be necessary in FIRS - for various reasons.
- The cargos have been adjusted numerous times for better gameplay.
- Bumping the grf id was the right thing to do in the 0.2 release to protect players from broken save games, and it will happen again if needed.

That said...
- the grfid is expected to be stable from 0.2 through at least 0.4. There are currently no planned changes for 0.3 or 0.4 that would need a grfid bump (but that might change...)

cheers,

Andy
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

michael blunck wrote:I´m really not interested to release an update each time something gets changed in FIRS.
What is so secret about this addon, that nobody else should be allowed to update it?
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

because it was made by MB, consider it being sacred and no unworthy hands can touch it :mrgreen:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Ammler wrote:What is so secret about this addon, that nobody else should be allowed to update it?
"Too many chefs spoil the broth" a.k.a. "Quality Control" ?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Ammler wrote:
What is so secret about this addon, that nobody else should be allowed to update it?
There is no secret nor any technical problems. It´s simply not desirable to have lots of incompatible newgrfs messing around. There are already way too much of them.

regards
Michael
Fry3k
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fry3k »

I'm having a problem with the DBXL-ECS extension. Wagons are only refittable for just one cargo type in every vector (paper in wood vector, food in agricultural vector). I'm just trying to use it with no other newgrfs to be sure i don't mix up anything. I also tried changing in which ordner the newgrfs are loaded but it doesent seem to work.

I'm using OpenTTD v1.04, DB Set v0.82 (XL) 05.05.05, ECS extension 10.06.10.

PS: I have the same problem with the combination of FIRS and DBXL but this could have to do with compability problems described earlier in this thread.

Return to “Graphics Releases”