Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set "MLSS" v 0.5.1

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set "MLSS" v 0.2.6

Post by supermop »

New version released tonight, including a larger, early 20th Century style roundhouse, tiles for the application requested by benom a few posts back, and a new groundsprites for sheds. Also includes some new non-track shed tiles, and new versions of the basic masonry shed.
MLSS026.png
MLSS026.png (131.81 KiB) Viewed 9325 times
Please let me know what you think: download in first post or bananas

best,
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Wow thats very nice and almost same looking as mine was what i lost.... :/
The tning what i dont like the small turntabel, but as i think the next what we can fit in would be 3x3 in size and thats allready to big... So we have to live with it... Keep up Your good work mate :)
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

The 1X1 turntable comfortably fits the biggest locos in the NARS :D It's the perfect size. I'd like to see more 'faclilties', like water towers, standpipes, maybe a coaling tower... The new roundhouse itself is gorgeous though, and will definitely be finding its way into my games.
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

Wow GOOD work :shock: :bow:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Thanks for your comments so far!

I am trying to decide now whether to animate features for the sheds, or get started on my next component set ( probably town buildings). Is there a strong desire to see these animated any time soon?

Best,
benom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benom »

nice release and thanks for including my requests ... my problem is just now ... where are they ??!? o.O
have tried building them all but they aren't anywhere to be found ;(

even tried disabling all my other grf's but they are still missing ;(

edit: anyway ... if one actually activated the right version of the grf it normaly helps >_<
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Hadn't I been looking at Gremnons new screens, I wouldn't have found this thread at all... How could I have missed it? 8o

Wonderful work there... Just wonderful! I was going to draw a round shed myself, but now I don't have to! Excellent work... :))
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

also available in teh "default opengfx" brick colors??

other then that, nice GRF
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Thanks for the positive feedback! There is still A LOT that can be done to improve MLSS: railtype support, more tiles, animation, etc... There is also A LOT of Grf work I want to do on my other sets. Unfourtunately, tweaking the color of the bricks is pretty low down on the priorty list, as getting the noise for all of the angles to look right ithout accidentally using the brickcycle colors is very time consuming for marginal improvement versus other things that can be changed. It might happen one day, but more important for me would be working on more modern structures.

Thanks though, the set is GPL v2, and anyone who would like to help me with development is very welcome as well!

Best,
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

supermop wrote:as getting the noise for all of the angles to look right ithout accidentally using the brickcycle colors is very time consuming
For things like that you can use a limited-colour palette.
First generate a noise texture that you like in RGB, then apply a limited-colour palette which does not include action colours (or cc), then convert back to RGB to get rid of possibly faulty palette index numbers and paste a selection onto the final sprite (which re-applies the correct TT palette). An action in Photoshop or some sort of macro in some other sort of graphics editor could help with automating some of that process.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

what you describe is essentially the method I used to create swatches of brick texture. My maiin objective was to create 8 shades of brick wall that were self-simiar while still being distinct. I am not too enthused about repainting those surfaces even if I can make another 8 swatches that etter match opengfx, because there are other things that mlss needs more urgently right now. Thanks for your input, hopefully this is something I can get to in the future.

best,
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modular Locomotive Sheds Special Station Set "MLSS" v 0.

Post by Wolf01 »

Graphic bug:
shedsbug.png
shedsbug.png (14.04 KiB) Viewed 8319 times
This set is impressive, thank you :D
jian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jian »

New Objects? :bow: please
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I found this quote in an older thread about making roundhouse station graphics, thought I'd share:
Sinaasappel wrote:Why is everybody posting pics or roundhouses ? I mean, if there's any type of depot you could not make in ttd, it's roundhouses :roll:
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Hi all,

restarting work on this from scratch - please see the dev thread.

Thanks
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Hi All,

Last year Oberhuemer helped me with a basic depot grf to go along with MLSS, and the new styles I added around that time. I was not able to get it to work with Nutracks, so i never really got around to using it until last night. I figured it might be useful to some of you, or at least generate some interest to gt someone to help me with coding, so I will upload it here.

There are a few issues:

1 - The grf does not work with Nutracks. I can't tell why.
2 - The grf does not seem to work properly with metro tracks.
3 - The grf assigns depot styles based on era. This is fine, looks good, and is simple to use. It also allows a player to see all styles even with only the regular railtypes. However, if you want to build or add a brick style depot in modern times, you are out of luck.

The grf does seem to work fine with the regular rails and with Swedish rails. I'd like to create a railtype grf to give finer control, but I am over my head in terms of coding.

Look forward to hearing your feedback!
1966.PNG
1966.PNG (478.8 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
Attachments
MLSD.zip
(127.35 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

This is an excellent Grf set! I have it installed in OpenTTD, but I can't figure out how to
get the Roundhouses with the Turntables? Everything shows up great!

Thanks!

ChristopherT
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

RE: MLSS Depot> Could you implement a parameter where a user can select a style to override?

Also, not played with it yet, but just curious - when the eras change, do the depots already in the game change to this new style, or do they retain the style they were built in?
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

CTarana45 wrote:This is an excellent Grf set! I have it installed in OpenTTD, but I can't figure out how to
get the Roundhouses with the Turntables? Everything shows up great!

Thanks!

ChristopherT
I don't think the roundhouses are there anymore in the most recent version (correct me if I'm wrong, or they might only be available in a certain time period), if you want roundhouses you could use this version: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 80#p912251

By the way, this grf rules! The idea of overlapping tiles is just great! It was the inspiration for my road and dock overlapping tiles.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Hi,

Sorry, but the newer NML version of MLSS does not yet have the roundhouses. The old NFO version is on bananas though, and it does have the roundhouses along with some bugs. I didn't upload the new version to bananas yet as I didn't feel it was a suitable replacement yet. Coding is a slow and confusing process for me, so I am not sure how to 'fix' this depot grf, or add parameters. However, as I understand it, the depots will retain the appearance of their build date, and not change once the game enters the next style era. However, converting a 19th century depot to electric in the 1960s might cause it to change to the new style. Unsure.

Ideally I'd like some help with the following:

-alignment (ok I can probably fix this this myself)
-rail type support: properly support various 3rd rail tracks at the least, ideally work with Nutracks without disabling itself.
-parameters to fix certain styles to certain tracks, allowing the player to build any style in any era, or to continue building old style depots in the modern era. It would be nice to retain the current behavior for users who don't want to fuss too much with their depots yet still want something that looks appropriate.
-possibly remake the set as a rail type grf.
-??? (I'm sure all of you will have plenty of ideas for more ways to improve the depots!)

As for MLSS itself; I need to do the following:
-improve ground sprites, especially for the brick style - the red is too loud especially on the roundhouse. Possible parameter to use OGFX, ISR or Chips pavement instead.
-add more sheds
-add roundhouse and yard tiles.
-finish making extra items (random buildings, electric feeder stations, tipples, extra items)
-get serious help coding special smart items (aware fences a la fenced land in ogfx+ landscape, etc). This is really hard because stations are not yet supported by NFO.

Other related work that I would like to do would be:
-create RV and Tram depots in similar styles.
-New objects in similar styles

Thanks for your interest!

Return to “Graphics Releases”