[OTTD] Monorail Infrastructure Conversion Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

[OTTD] Monorail Infrastructure Conversion Set

Post by zero.eight »

Monorail Infrastructure Conversion Set

Latest version: 2.0.0. Requires OpenTTD 1.2.0. Not compatible with previous versions of MICS.
Available from BaNaNaS. Search for "Monorail Infrastructure Conv Se".
Serving Suggestion: Spice up your cities with a helping of MICS (+OpenGFX, av8, LV4, 2cc Train set, NH Foundations, Canadian Station Set, Stolen Trees, ISR)
Serving Suggestion: Spice up your cities with a helping of MICS (+OpenGFX, av8, LV4, 2cc Train set, NH Foundations, Canadian Station Set, Stolen Trees, ISR)
MICSpreview01.png (116.06 KiB) Viewed 25506 times
MICS is a set of graphics based on OpenGFX that replaces the monorail tracks, tunnels and depots. The set aims to make monorails look better in urban areas by using a concrete base for the tracks.
Now with extra snow in Arctic and sand in Subtropical (+ OpenGFX, Stolen Trees)
Now with extra snow in Arctic and sand in Subtropical (+ OpenGFX, Stolen Trees)
MICSpreview03b.png (182.3 KiB) Viewed 24802 times
MICS is available in all climates. In the Arctic climate, tracks above the snowline are edged with snow; in Tropical, desert tracks are edged with sand. On all other tiles the tracks have a concrete base that covers the rest of the tile. This behaviour can be changed by modifying MICS' parameters.

Features:
  • Provides a new "Urban Monorail" rail type with concrete-based graphics that blend into cities better than the original graphics. It can either replace Monorail, be added as an additional rail type while also modifying Monorail, or added as an additional rail type without modifying Monorail. These options give varying levels of control over how the tracks look.
  • Available in all climates
  • Large GUI sprites
    • Provides 1x, 1.5x and 2x size GUI sprites
    • Compatibility with OpenGFX BigGUI 2.0.0
      If OpenGFX BigGUI is loaded, the GUI sprite size in MICS is automatically selected based on the parameter setting in OpenGFX BigGUI.
      This can be overriden by setting a MICS parameter.
  • New graphics for tunnels and depots
  • Parameter to enable/disable level crossings
  • Parameter to enable/disable fences
Possible Improvements:
  • Snow on depots
  • Fix minor sprite errors
MICS 2.0.0 requires OpenTTD 1.2.0 and is available from BaNaNaS. MICS 2.0.0 is not compatible with earlier version of MICS - sorry about that.
Source is here: https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/mics.

It would be a good idea to read the readme for an explanation of the effects of each parameter. You can find it ingame via the NewGRF settings screen.
Essentially, if you just want the new graphics on Monorail then leave the parameters at their default values, but if you want to have more choice over the graphics then have a look at the readme. By default, tracks will let the tile underneath show through on arctic and sand tiles, and show a standard concrete base on grass, rainforest and toyland tiles, but if you always want a complete concrete base on arctic or desert tiles, or want the tile to show through on all other tiles, change the value of the third parameter.

MICS 2.0.0 seems to work with NuTracks 1.1.2, NUTS 0.4.7 and Swedish Rails 0.8.0. Please let me know if it doesn't work properly with them or another rail type set.

Note for users of Toyland2Mars and other NewGRFs that change the climate graphics: MICS doesn't know how the climate graphics have been modified so you may need to play with the parameters to get things to look ok.
The following may help for Toyland2Mars:
  • Set "Tunnel graphics" to "Always show sand graphics"
  • Then either of the following:
    • If you only want sandy tracks, set "Rail type behaviour" to either "Convert Monorail to Urban Monorail" or "Add Urban Monorail but do not modify Monorail", and Set "Urban Monorail: Track ground graphics" to "Always show tile underneath track".
    • If you only want fully concrete-based tracks, set "Rail type behaviour" to either "Convert Monorail to Urban Monorail" or "Add Urban Monorail but do not modify Monorail", and set "Urban Monorail: Track ground graphics" to "Always show standard concrete base" or leave it at its default setting.
    • If you want to be able to build both sandy tracks and fully concrete-based tracks, set "Rail type behaviour" to "Modify Monorail and add Urban Monorail" and set "Urban Monorail: Track ground graphics" to "Always show standard concrete base" or leave it at its default setting.
Last edited by zero.eight on 28 Jan 2013 10:15, edited 9 times in total.
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

[OTTD] Monorail Infrastructure Conversion Set - Releases

Post by zero.eight »

Readme, release and source are attached.

MICS is licensed under the GNU GPL v2. A copy of the license is included in the release with the readme. The readme includes details of the specific OpenGFX sprites used. Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping with the license issue. Hopefully I've covered everything, but if something's not quite right, please let me know.

MICS_rel_* is the playable release.
MICS_src_* is the source pcx and nfo.

Enjoy :)
Attachments
readme.txt
(7.86 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
MICS_rel_1.2.0.zip
(112.45 KiB) Downloaded 850 times
MICS_src_1.2.0.zip
(88.36 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Last edited by zero.eight on 01 Mar 2010 23:50, edited 8 times in total.
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Monorail Infrastructure Conversion Set

Post by SwissFan91 »

Looks brilliant :) Does it have snow covered graphics?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

jake.grimshaw wrote:Looks brilliant :) Does it have snow covered graphics?
Not yet. I thought making snow/sand graphics for the relevant climates, but figuring out how to code everything took priority. I think it's a good idea though. Making sprites that "tile" well (i.e. look good when next to each other) might be difficult, but I could probably add a parameter to revert back to normal sprites.

Anyway, I have added that to this weekend's planned improvement works. :)
kotssmurf
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by kotssmurf »

This looks great!
I may just start using monorails now to spice up cities :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Looks really good, great work! Have you added it to BaNaNaS yet?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Anyway, where are those "parking spots" from?
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

They're from the Canadian Station set.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Zephyris wrote:Looks really good, great work! Have you added it to BaNaNaS yet?
Done :) It's called version 1 on BaNaNaS, but it should be 1.1.0.
---

Anyway, new to version 1.1.0 is snow-covered tracks in Arctic, or rather snow-edged. If you don't like the look of them, or prefer the concrete replacement, you can set MICS's first parameter to 1. This will cause the concrete base tracks to be used above the snowline. Set the parameter to any other valid value or nothing to use the snow tracks again.

- some other small graphical fixes added. See the images in the first post. Release in the second. Enjoy :)
Last edited by zero.eight on 27 Feb 2010 15:29, edited 2 times in total.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Looks very nice, but...shouldn't the tunnel entrances be snow covered as well?
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Could you code this as an additionaly railtype so we can use it outside of towns?
Or do we have some newgrf callbacks to see if the rail is in a town and use concrete, otherwise the normal basement? With peter's newrail features this should be possible, no?
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Darkvater wrote:With peter's newrail features this should be possible, no?
No, well not yet at least...
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

CommanderZ wrote:Looks very nice, but...shouldn't the tunnel entrances be snow covered as well?
Yes, but for some reason I forgot about tunnels. Fixed in v1.1.1. Thanks for pointing that out.
Darkvater wrote:Could you code this as an additionaly railtype so we can use it outside of towns?
I could try. It would need trains to be coded to run on this railtype, if I understand it correctly.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

assuming you use ActionA on the current one, you can use the railtypes to add a 2nd monorail variant, that is compatible with "MONO". Use action0 property 0E and 0F to do this.

you probably need to adjust the "MONO" railtype as well to allow your new type. (URBM ?)

that way the codes dont need recodeing :)
Member of the
ImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

If you decide to code it as Railtype, may I suggest a parameter that allows users to either replace default MONO track or add it as a new track type?
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Hi,

I've extended the set to support sand-covered tracks in Subtropical. Again, this can be turned off by setting parameter zero to 1. GUI sprites are also changed, and level crossings are now fully replaced (except for the "inner city" one in temperate which already has a paved base). Details in the first post. Enjoy :)

=========

I have had a look at the spec for railtypes and produced some code which might work. If it does, I'll think about how to implement it best with the existing NewGRF.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

BEAUTIFUL graphics! Will definitely be adding soon.

Any chance that you would consider extending this to maglevs? :-)
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

FooBar wrote:If you decide to code it as Railtype, may I suggest a parameter that allows users to either replace default MONO track or add it as a new track type?
That's probably the best way to keep everything as one GRF. However I think it would be better to have two separate GRFs: the current one (graphical replacement), and a new one coded as a new rail type that can be used in combination with the default monorail if desired. The problem with using a parameter to specify whether the rail type replaces MONO or adds a new rail type is that, if the player sets the parameter in order to add a new rail type, but then sets it back to reverse the effect, the game will either crash or leave a load of hideous missing sprites where the new rail type's graphics were. I could warn against doing it, but it would still happen.
kamnet wrote:BEAUTIFUL graphics! Will definitely be adding soon.

Any chance that you would consider extending this to maglevs? :-)
Could be done. I would need to stare at the number of sprites and pretend it's just a simple copy and paste job :)
Hirundo
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hirundo »

zero.eight wrote:I could warn against doing it, but it would still happen.
There is a big red warning box that says "Thou Shalt Not Edit NewGRFs Mid-Game." This box appears when the user edits parameters as well. If this doesn't stop him, I don't think anything would. If the user chooses to ignore this warning, he is the one to blame, not you.

If the graphics are the same and only the technical implementation (new railtype vs ActionA replacement) differs, using a parameter to select between the two seems a logical choice to me.
Create your own NewGRF? Check out this tutorial!
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Wouldn't it only happen in one direction, anyway? I mean if a player used the grf in "replacement" mode, and then changed the parameter to "new railtype" mode, I reckon the existing rails would just flip back to normal sprites, and the new rail type becomes available. No graphical glitches.

And in the other direction, the player could prevent graphical glitches from happening by converting all rails of the new type to standard monorail, before changing the parameter. Despite being not officially supported, I guess removing a new rail type ingame will work, if no rails of the type exist anywhere (similar to removing a vehicle set).

So it would only result in glitches/possibly error if the player was in "new railtype" mode, had rails of the new type built, and decides to switch to "replacement" mode (why would one want to do that anyway?), i.e. pretty rare. And in this case, I'm with Hirundo, it's really the player's fault...
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Releases”