[OTTD] American Passenger Set 1.0

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] American Passenger Set 1.0

Post by Ruiluth »

UPDATE 11-15-13
I have removed the set as it stands because I had misused paulicus25's graphics, so I'm removing them. Also, I'm migrating this set to https://sites.google.com/site/americanpassengerset/.

Overview
This set is a set of passenger equipment that was or is used on American railroads. This is my first project using NML, and I'm still learning about it, so there might be some features that I will not be able to implement for a while. This set is designed to supplement NARS.

The Trains
Milwaukee Class A 4-4-2
This locomotive was one of the first streamlined steam locomotives in America. Milwaukee used them to power thier Hiawatha trains from 1935-1951. They were designed to maintain 100 mph and achieve 120mph maximum. They were designed to haul five-car consists. In this set they can reach a steady speed of 112 mph on level ground with this consist.
Graphics by me.

Milwaukee Class F7 4-6-4
This locomotive was invented when the Hiawatha was enlarged to nine cars to handle increased ridership, and the Class As couldn't handle it. They were extremely succesful and even faster than the Class As, being able to cruise at 110mph in the middle of a snowstorm. They had the fastest schedule out of any steam locomotive in the world, with one segment being scheduled at an average of 81mph. A passenger on the train once recorded a steady speed of 120mph which peaked at 125mph, placing it on par with the Mallard, which is the official record holder for steam speed.
Graphics by me.

Southern Pacific GS-4 4-8-4
The Southern Pacific was no stranger to high-speed passenger service either; it's GS-4s were capable of 110mph and powerful enough to haul up to 20 cars if needed. They were used even after most other railroads had dieselized their passenger trains, only being retired in 1958. SP #4449 is a preserved GS-4, and it is one of the most famous surviving steam locomotives in America.
Graphics by paulicus25.
EDIT: removed due to copyright issues.

Southern Pacific Mt-4 4-8-2
This engine could be considered to be a predecessor to the GS-4. It was very similar, only lacking one trailing axle and the side skirts. They were not famous like the GS-4, and none survive, but in my opinion they are much more interesting. A few were painted in Daylight colors, but the boiler was left unskirted and black. There is not much information on these locmotives, so some of the stats are estimated.
Graphics modified by me from paulicus25's GS-4.

Southern Pacific P-14 4-6-2
SP's P type 4-6-2s were very numerous. They had P-1s through P-14s, with a total of 146 units produced. A few P-7s, P-10s, and P-14s were converted for use with the Daylight trains, and some of the P-14s were skirted like the GS-4s. This is how they are represented in this set. Again, not much information is available, so some of it is estimated.
Graphics modified by me from paulicus25's GS-4.

Changlog
Version 16
--Added the Class A
--Added the Class F7
--Added the GS-4 in two liveries
--Added the Mt-4 in two liveries
--Added the P-14 in two liveries
--Added locomotive-dependent passenger cars.
Version 17
--Added observation cars which automatically appear at the end of Daylight trains.

PS: the stations in the screenshots are from the US Stations Set
PSS: if you want to contribute, please head over to http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=68329
Last edited by Ruiluth on 16 Nov 2013 02:26, edited 9 times in total.
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] American Passenger Set 1.0

Post by Ruiluth »

More screenshots
Attachments
Milwaukee Road, 14-02-1954.png
An Mt-4 coming over the pass.
(197.92 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Milwaukee Road, 27-05-1955#1.png
A GS-4 meets the Mt-4 at Grindbury Creek.
(228.24 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Always nice to see a new coder and artist.

P.S. There is a one week limit on editing posts, so it is not really useful to place reserved posts.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I see there being no issue reserving posts. A pm to an online Moderator with the pics can resolve the editing issue.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

Transportman wrote:Always nice to see a new coder and artist.

P.S. There is a one week limit on editing posts, so it is not really useful to place reserved posts.
limit on editing posts? I edited the first post here five or six times in a row to fix typos...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Ruiluth wrote:
Transportman wrote:Always nice to see a new coder and artist.

limit on editing posts? I edited the first post here five or six times in a row to fix typos...
<ot>
You have like seven days to amend postings; this time span has not yet passed. And the first can be modified for an indefinite timespan. You'll simply have "reserved" postings in this thread from 29th August onward.

Simply don't reserve postings. Amend new information in new postings as it becomes available. And if you feel like, link to those from the first. Personally I'm not in favour of roboboys suggestion to resort to mod-editing of those now 'reserved' posts :-)
</ot>
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

"Reserved" posts come from a past tradition where you could edit any post at any time. This is no longer permitted without intervention from a moderator. Like was mentioned, it's best to just update your first post (which you can edit indefinitely) and link to any new posts (like screenshots, new releases, etc) from it and keep all the discussion in logical, chronological order.
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

kamnet wrote:"Reserved" posts come from a past tradition where you could edit any post at any time. This is no longer permitted without intervention from a moderator. Like was mentioned, it's best to just update your first post (which you can edit indefinitely) and link to any new posts (like screenshots, new releases, etc) from it and keep all the discussion in logical, chronological order.
Oh ok. That seems like a fairly inefficient way to do things. Can I embed images from imgur or somewhere that doesn't involve using the attatchments? the only reason that I need the reserved posts is for screenshots, because for some reason I can only upload a couple at a time.

Okay, i'm officially retarded. Literally right as I was putting the period on that last sentence I saw the Img button at the top of the dialog :roll: . Now I'll find a way to delete those posts. This always makes me feel sooo smart :lol:
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Ruiluth wrote:Now I'll find a way to delete those posts. This always makes me feel sooo smart :lol:
If your post is the last post in a topic you can edit it and then there is an option to remove it, but since your posts are not the last posts, I think the best course of action would be to report them using the Image button and indicate that you want them removed.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Ruiluth wrote: Okay, i'm officially retarded. Literally right as I was putting the period on that last sentence I saw the Img button at the top of the dialog :roll: . Now I'll find a way to delete those posts. This always makes me feel sooo smart :lol:
I took the liberty to remove the three postings which only showed "<reserved>".
What's wrong about adding new content where poeple expect it, at the end of a thread? Including images from other sides works - but it's bad. It breaks, if the site goes down, is unavailable or modifies URLs and generally slows things down and more than occasionally breaks page layout (in which case we'll have to change them to simple links again).

Now... back to NewGRFs :-)
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

planetmaker wrote:
Ruiluth wrote: Okay, i'm officially retarded. Literally right as I was putting the period on that last sentence I saw the Img button at the top of the dialog :roll: . Now I'll find a way to delete those posts. This always makes me feel sooo smart :lol:
I took the liberty to remove the three postings which only showed "<reserved>".
What's wrong about adding new content where poeple expect it, at the end of a thread? Including images from other sides works - but it's bad. It breaks, if the site goes down, is unavailable or modifies URLs and generally slows things down and more than occasionally breaks page layout (in which case we'll have to change them to simple links again).

Now... back to NewGRFs :-)
I guess this forum is just really different from otherforms I've been on. I'll get used to it eventually.
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

Today I made these sprites of the Union Pacific 2906 and cars in the Forty Niner Paint scheme. It was a P-13 4-6-2 I know it doesn't match, but it didn't in real life either, as seen below.

The coding isn't quite complete (the locomotive doesn't seem to want a tender...) but I'm working on it and it should be out soon. I'm also planning to make the 7002, which looked almost identical, but was a M1 4-8-2.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Ruiluth wrote:The coding isn't quite complete (the locomotive doesn't seem to want a tender...) but I'm working on it and it should be out soon. I'm also planning to make the 7002, which looked almost identical, but was a M1 4-8-2.
Are you using NFO or NML to code? If you use NML, take a look at the tutorial, especially for articulated tram and train, because that is basically what you want. You might then need some more switch blocks to get graphics right.
Last edited by Transportman on 15 Nov 2013 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

More colour shades == better. Here it is especially noticeable on the roof being only black. Using at least like 5 or more shades of grey would make a large difference.

examples:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/nut ... rn_wtf.png
similarly
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/nut ... wagons.png
ImageImageImage
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

Transportman wrote:
Ruiluth wrote:The coding isn't quite complete (the locomotive doesn't seem to want a tender...) but I'm working on it and it should be out soon. I'm also planning to make the 7002, which looked almost identical, but was a M1 4-8-2.
Are you using NFO or NML to code? If you use NML, take a look at the tutorial, especially for articulated tram and train, because that is basically what you want. You might then need some more switch blocks to get graphics right.
I'm using NML. I used the same code for the tender as I did on the other engines, but for some reason it doesn't work on that engine specifically.

Unfortunately, I have to remove the SP engines because Paulicus25 doesn't want me using modified sprites and I haven't drawn replacement graphics yet. Also, I'm going to move the set to another site because I don't like the way this forum is set up. I'll post a link when it's ready
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Ruiluth wrote:
Transportman wrote:
I'm using NML. I used the same code for the tender as I did on the other engines, but for some reason it doesn't work on that engine specifically.
Can you post the code? Often it is something simple that makes it break.

Return to “Graphics Releases”