FIRS Industry Replacement Set - releases

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Scorpio-BRZ
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Releases

Post by Scorpio-BRZ »

Hi..Happy New year..

One question. Which is a best Traiset (complet) for all cargos there are in FIRS ? TXS. ?(
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Basically any trainset with ECS support will do. Which in turn is basically every major trainset, but not the default trains.
Scorpio-BRZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Scorpio-BRZ »

planetmaker wrote:Basically any trainset with ECS support will do. Which in turn is basically every major trainset, but not the default trains.
Thank you :]
Wodzuadmin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wodzuadmin »

Hello,

First of all: fantastic work, guys! :bow:
I play in original version of TTD since '96. Under DOS I managed to run the novel network connection between two PCs by the coaxial cable, which allowed me to start TTD in multiplayer mode. I'll never forget those sleepless nights...
A couple of weeks ago I discovered this game again thanks to you. Of course, I remebered those nights :tongue:
But let us to particulars:
Amount of industries is shocking (but I like it!). For the first time I made two lines with 4 trains and I dumbfounded, because didn't know for what to take, where to start? It was a strange feeling for me.
So, I decided to draw a full diagram with all cargos and connections between industries. I've started with a clean sheet of paper A4 and pencil (of course I ran out of space :P ), but the second approach I've used the professional program to make this diagram more readable. I think it could be useful for all begining enthusiasts of FIRS.
Tomorrow I'm going to show you small part of this diagram. If you enjoy my approach, and you find it useful, I'll try to finish it.
Or maybe you know that someone else has already created such a diagram? Please let me know.

Regards
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Wodzuadmin wrote: So, I decided to draw a full diagram with all cargos and connections between industries. I've started with a clean sheet of paper A4 and pencil (of course I ran out of space :P ), but the second approach I've used the professional program to make this diagram more readable. I think it could be useful for all begining enthusiasts of FIRS.
Tomorrow I'm going to show you small part of this diagram. If you enjoy my approach, and you find it useful, I'll try to finish it.
Or maybe you know that someone else has already created such a diagram?
Having a chart for the industries certainly is something which is nice for this set.

The authors' web page has a (tabular) overview: http://tt-foundry.com/sets/FIRS/schema/industries and Roujin(?) prepared a dedicated OpenTTD savegame some time back which showed FIRS connectivity as a diagramme - but industries were added since, so it probably is not up to date anymore. So... from my POV a decent chart (somewhat similar to ECS' flow charts maybe) would be a nice addition I personally can imagine to become part of the documentation.

Not that it will happen anytime soon, but: even though very difficult to implement, I have thought (but only slightly discussed with andythenorth) looking at the option to only activate a sub-set of the existing industries (without making any of the remaining industries obsolete). A diagramme as you propose might help with that decision. Any thoughts on that?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

planetmaker wrote:
Wodzuadmin wrote: So, I decided to draw a full diagram with all cargos and connections between industries. I've started with a clean sheet of paper A4 and pencil (of course I ran out of space :P ), but the second approach I've used the professional program to make this diagram more readable. I think it could be useful for all begining enthusiasts of FIRS.
Or maybe you know that someone else has already created such a diagram?
Having a chart for the industries certainly is something which is nice for this set.
Like this? http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=109163
Image Image Image Image
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

I think that graphics should be updated.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Kogut wrote:I think that graphics should be updated.
And the IDs too
Image Image Image Image
Wodzuadmin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wodzuadmin »

As I said, here is a small samlpe of diagram that I'm creating. I saw diagram by Andythenorth, Foobar and George (I like division by chains), but I have different point of view.
Regards.
Attachments
New diagram
New diagram
FIRS diagram kadr.png (103.2 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

That's a nice diagram :)

Before you go too far, I'm about to propose some significant changes to both industries and cargos...I would like to see more of the diagram, but perhaps wait until I've discussed the changes?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

andythenorth wrote:That's a nice diagram :)
Before you go too far, I'm about to propose some significant changes to both industries and cargos...I would like to see more of the diagram, but perhaps wait until I've discussed the changes?
Let me know if I should update the version I did, or I can upload a VSD file so you could change it yourself
Image Image Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - v0.1 Officially Released

Post by andythenorth »

FIRS 0.1 Release Notes

FIRS 0.1 is a fully playable release of FIRS featuring 35 industries and 26 cargos.

Unlike some FIRS nightlies, all the included cargo chains are complete, and all industry production code is finished. All future releases will be equally as complete and stable, but will add new features.

Nightly builds of FIRS will still be available, but aren't recommended for most players as they often contain work-in-progress! Thanks though to all those who do try the nightlies and report problems :)

How to Get FIRS 0.1 Release
FIRS 0.1 is available on Bananas, or can be downloaded from OpenTTD Coop. More info in the first post of this thread.

Getting Started with FIRS
FIRS lets you get started playing straight away with easy-to-understand gameplay:
- there are plenty of familiar industries and cargos you'll recognise from the default game
- FIRS adds lots of exciting new cargos and industries to play with
- primary industries like mines and farms always produce cargo
- secondary industries like the steel mill and cement plant always produce some output cargo when an input cargo is delivered.

For players who want more, FIRS also rewards you by:
- increasing primary industry production when you deliver supplies regularly
- increasing production at some secondary industries when you deliver more than one input cargo regularly
- introducing new industries and cargos as time goes by.

The pixels are lickable and work brilliantly with original graphics and OpenGFX.

Vehicle Set Support
FIRS has good support from vehicles sets, including:
Trains: NARS 2.0, P1JK, 2CC Train Set
Road Vehicles/Trams: eGRVTS, HEQS
Planes:AV8, General av8ion, PlaneSet
Ships: FISH, NewShips
Many other recent sets will work with FIRS if they use cargo classes.

More Info / Things to Watch Out For!
- many secondary industries will start to close abut five years after the start of the game. Currently FIRS uses the default TTD closing behaviour, which can be annoying. This will be improved in a future release of FIRS. Meanwhile, make plenty of money and build new industries when you need them. :twisted:
- closure is currently disabled for primary industries. A side effect of disabling closure is that primary industry will not increase production unless supplies are delivered. This will be improved in a future release of FIRS.
- Power Stations in FIRS do close if cargo is not delivered every now and then. This is intentional. The Power Station window gives information about whether there is currently a chance of closure. In future additional gameplay will be added around Power Stations :)
- some industries are available from year 0. Some industries (and the cargos they use) are only available after a certain date.
- FIRS works well if the colour of the mini-map is changed - this is possible in recent nightly builds of OTTD (in advanced options -> interface)
- one known bug: Textile Mill will not accept Manufacturing Supplies. Will be fixed soon.
- any savegame using the nightly build of FIRS is likely to break :o
- Visit the FIRS website 0.1 to see industry introduction dates, produced cargos and accepted cargos.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - v0.1.1 Officially Released

Post by andythenorth »

0.1.1 released on Bananas and the first page of this thread.

FIRS 0.1.1 is a bug fix release: the Textile Mill, Oil Refinery and Paper Mill were incorrectly accepting Engineering Supplies. Nothing else changed. This is save game compatible with 0.1, but acceptance will not be changed for these industries if they already exist on the map (due to the way the game works).

Thanks to Kogut for reporting the bug.
alex_kretz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by alex_kretz »

Is there a way to enable modifying of production values with FIRS?

Yes I know it's cheat - but I like it.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

alex_kretz wrote:Is there a way to enable modifying of production values with FIRS?
No. And yes.

- The cheat built into the game doesn't work when the industry production callback is used by the newgrf. FIRS uses that callback, so the built-in cheat isn't available.

- You can increase production at primary industries by delivering Engineering Supplies and Farm Supplies.

- You can checkout the code for FIRS and modify the values yourself. You have python on your mac, installing hg (mercurial version control) is quite easy, building FIRS is a one line command.
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/firs
Beengalas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beengalas »

Question: Does one have to constantly stream new engineering supplies to a primary industry to keep it's production up?

I have sent ten of thousands of engineering stuff to a coal mine, only to see it fall back to basic production after a while. Making it impossible for me to feed upp most of my primary industries.

Edit: Nevermind this. It seems to jump up and down all the time, but in the end, it is increased. Noticed now when I closed down that part of the network to rebuild _everything_.
Last edited by Beengalas on 02 Apr 2010 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Beengalas wrote:Question: Does one have to constantly stream new engineering supplies to a primary industry to keep it's production up?

I have sent ten of thousands of engineering stuff to a coal mine, only to see it fall back to basic production after a while. Making it impossible for me to feed upp most of my primary industries.
No - 1 supply is good as 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 engineering supplies delivered in month.
For players who want more, FIRS also rewards you by:
- increasing primary industry production when you deliver supplies regularly
====================
Interesting:
Attachments
Przechwytywanie.PNG
Przechwytywanie.PNG (170.05 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Beengalas wrote:I have sent ten of thousands of engineering stuff to a coal mine, only to see it fall back to basic production after a while.
Do you know the version of FIRS? In FIRS 0.1.x primary industry production can't reduce, so I'm guessing it's an older version?

Anyway, in FIRS 0.1.x, you only need to deliver 1 crate per month. More can be delivered, but 1 crate is enough. Use small vehicles (and maybe transfer orders) to do this.

Trucks, planes and helicopters are very good for delivering supplies. Pikka's General Av8ion grf gives some small planes which are perfect :)
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

andythenorth wrote: Do you know the version of FIRS? In FIRS 0.1.x primary industry production can't reduce, so I'm guessing it's an older version?
Great feature!
Sorting is completely wrong, I see no order in it (on list is also 135 tonnes coal mine).
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD

Return to “Graphics Releases”