FIRS Industry Replacement Set - releases

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

leaderfrontier
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Releases

Post by leaderfrontier »

I got a few question on some industry.

I give some example:
Forest.png
Forest.png (40.41 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Iron Ore in Snow.png
Iron Ore in Snow.png (63.56 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
Iron Ore.png
Iron Ore.png (46.61 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
The ground of these industry look like still on temperate landscape althought I'm playing the sub-arctic and sub-tropical landscape.
Does it is deliberate to do so or not?
A smile everyday,keep fortune around.
Smile your life before sadness come. :D
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

leaderfrontier wrote:The ground of these industry look like still on temperate landscape althought I'm playing the sub-arctic and sub-tropical landscape.
The answer is simple: it's not drawn yet. And it therefor uses the sprites from the default industries - which are from temperate climate.
leaderfrontier
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by leaderfrontier »

planetmaker wrote:
leaderfrontier wrote:The ground of these industry look like still on temperate landscape althought I'm playing the sub-arctic and sub-tropical landscape.
The answer is simple: it's not drawn yet. And it therefor uses the sprites from the default industries - which are from temperate climate.

Ooo.Thanks.
A smile everyday,keep fortune around.
Smile your life before sadness come. :D
Packer
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Packer »

Dunno if this would qualify as a bug or not but enabling the "enable modifying production values" swtich doesn't really do anything in this set. I like using that one so I can run some real long trains.

Other than that it looks like it'd be fun to play.
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Packer wrote:Dunno if this would qualify as a bug or not but enabling the "enable modifying production values" swtich doesn't really do anything in this set. I like using that one so I can run some real long trains.
I would say, easy to find out, check the cheat with PBI or ECS, if it doesn't work there, either. It is an issue of OpenTTD itself. Then you could add a Feature Request or Bug, however you see it. ;-) to Flyspray.

(If the cheat surprisingly works on the other industry sets. I am sorry and you should tell it here again. )

Edit: as Rubi tells on next post, it looks like you would need default industries for that cheat. :roll:

Greets
Ammler
Last edited by Ammler on 16 Jul 2009 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Based on what I gather from the sources of FIRS it uses production callbacks for primary industries. As a result the normal functionality (and thus the cheat) are overridden by FIRS.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Rubidium wrote:Based on what I gather from the sources of FIRS it uses production callbacks for primary industries. As a result the normal functionality (and thus the cheat) are overridden by FIRS.
Not all industries have that at the moment, but they will eventually :wink:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I've got around to setting better map colours for most of the industries coded so far (they were all pink by default). Makes it easier to find different industry types on the map. :)

These should show up in FIRS nightly r185 - get it linked from the first page of this thread.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

I've updated my little scenario to FIRS r185 :)
FIRS r185 explanation.scn
needs OpenTTD r16777 or higher to run
(45.08 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
As a little fun fact, here's a comparison with the default (temperate) industry chain modeled in the same style. Guess which is more complex :P
Attachments
FIRS_exp.png
FIRS_exp.png (62.52 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
default_exp.png
default_exp.png (23.84 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Impressive!

It's going to take ages to get used to such a complex system! I really look forward to it =D
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

cmoiromain wrote:It's going to take ages to get used to such a complex system! I really look forward to it =D
FIRS cargo chains *are* a headache - in a fun way.

FooBar is on holiday, so there'll be a natural break in coding for a few weeks. I'm working on some HEQS stuff so no more FIRS graphics from me for a while either.

Meanwhile this is a good time for testing, so I'm playing a full game with what's coded so far. Already this has turned up some useful thoughts about the cargo chains.

Specifically Engineering Supplies is tricky and interesting. Finding the best ways to deliver this cargo is intriguing. A cement plant will produce Engineering Supplies if supplied with sand from the sand pit. The sand pit will produce more if Engineering Supplies are delivered. So if you have a train delivering sand, is it better to:
- add a couple of boxcars to the sand train, and backload engineering supplies to the sand pit. Using full load or not?
- run trucks to the sand pit - but then you have to build a road as well a rail line
- run another train to the sand pit. Generally I build single loading platforms at raw material industries. Another platform at the sand pit for this train or not?
- then what do you do as production volumes increase...?

What if you want to supply to multiple neighbouring sand pits?
- backloads?
- multiple dedicated trains
- one dedicated train on a round robin route
- train to a transfer station and then dedicated trucks?

Maybe not interesting for all players, but this is the kind of stuff that keeps me starting new games :D

cheers,

Andy
Last edited by andythenorth on 23 Jul 2009 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

"natural coding break"... I like the sound of that :P

Anyways, I did a little playtesting while on the plane last week. I've found that if you skip the *-supplies that it's not harder to play with firs than with the default industries. There's just more industries and more cargos in that case. It gets a bit more complicated if you add in the supplies as then everything gets connected in multiple ways. But you'll also find that the complicatedness sneaks into your network virtually unnoticed.

One major issue is that after a while a lot of industries start closing down. On a medium sized map I had like 4 industries closing each month or so.

All in all I enjoyed what we have so far. It can only get better :wink:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

This set is doing pretty good so far, I can't wait for the rest to be done. :3

Anyways, Using this with the Total Town Renewal set give towns a place that will accept fuel oil, the gas stations :3 Just though i'd put that out in case you guys was gonna make a place like that or something that can accept fuel oil in the default openTTD towns
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

Can't wait till this is complete. A few little issues. Could the Waste Collection Points be a color other than brown on map? Kinda hard to find next to the dark red town buildings. Couldn't it just be a town building itself? In one of those town sets, the hotels were basically industries. Great work so far. Also, don't depend on waste to generate A LOT of scrap metal at recycling plants. :P
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

weaselboy246 wrote:Can't wait till this is complete. A few little issues. Could the Waste Collection Points be a color other than brown on map? Kinda hard to find next to the dark red town buildings. Couldn't it just be a town building itself? In one of those town sets, the hotels were basically industries. Great work so far. Also, don't depend on waste to generate A LOT of scrap metal at recycling plants. :P
Idk if they can make it a town building, besides, if you wanna be a cheap bastered when you have enough money you can build more waste Collection points (maybe to simulate a larger one for large cites)

As for the waste to scrape metal, you need to send lots of waste, maybe at least over 200 Tonnes of waste each load to get enough scrap to send to some place that accepts it (like a steel mill, but a aluminium plant would be more realistic cause the scrap metla would probably be aluminium cans and stuff)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

weaselboy246 wrote:Can't wait till this is complete. A few little issues. Could the Waste Collection Points be a color other than brown on map?
Good point, I'll get around to changing them, they'll show up in a nightly sometime soon.
Ultimately town buildings might produce waste directly, but we need to make sure that works with the major town sets, so it won't be any time soon. Waste collection points are a good temporary solution that works right now today ;)

Recycling plant scrap metal production will be tweaked. It *is* too low at the moment. None of the production values are finalised for any industry yet, and there will be some major internal code changes to implement before production values are finalised. I might tweak the recycling plant in a future nightly, but that will just be a temporary thing.

@ Neko - recycled scrap could be steel or aluminium - drinks come in aluminium cans, food comes in steel cans :wink:

cheers,

Andy
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

^^ FIRS repo updated
- Waste Collection Points now yellow on map
- Recycling plant produces 1 unit each of packaging, scrap metal per 4 units waste delivered. This will be tweaked later is just for play testing the cargo chains right now.

These will be available in the nightly (linked in first page of thread) when the nightly is built (later today / tonight probably)...or build yourself from the FIRS repo.
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

Just asking is there a list of all the production values

so new players can refer to it as a guid to know how much they have to trainport to the industry to get a good return

I.E.

Take 200 wood to saw mill get 100 goods

In the table were have a 2-1
For Community Integrated Version http://code.google.com/p/civopenttd/
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

One major issue is that after a while a lot of industries start closing down. On a medium sized map I had like 4 industries closing each month or so.
This was one of the main reasons I rarely used ECS vectors (even the 5 year grace period was rarely enough), and since its not going to be addressed in trunk, hopefully there are some plans to negate it in the set.

Return to “Graphics Releases”