[REL.] Cargo and Industries for Towngrowth Challenge

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

[REL.] Cargo and Industries for Towngrowth Challenge

Post by Korenn »

This is a release of two grf files that define cargo and the industry chain for the Towngrowth Challenge (TC) project. (Project page)

These files define the 19 cargos and the entire industry chain. Not all grf changes required for the TC project are covered with this, most notably industry placement and townhouse changing isn't covered. However, with this we can start on the next step of the project, which involves coding.

I've decided to release the grf files separately, for archiving purposes and so that others can play with them if they want to try. Please note that they do not change any vehicles, so to play it would require a vehicle set that supports the cargo, like "refit_rvs.grf" and "Old Wagons New Cargos". Or one of the pretty sets should work just fine. The set is *in*compatible with other cargo sets. When playing, the cargo grf should be loaded before the industry file.

Any updates to the grf files will also be posted in this thread :D

Current release version: 1.1
Changelog:
- Industries now work the same regardless of the climate
Attachments
tgc grf.zip
the grf files, version 1.1; released under GPL
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
tgc nfo.zip
the nfo source files, version 1.1; released under GPL
(19.05 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Last edited by Korenn on 27 Jun 2009 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [REL.] Cargo and Industries for Towngrowth Challenge

Post by Terkhen »

I have been reading the project's wiki page. I find TC very interesting and it seems like it will be very fun to play with: some time ago I played a game with some friends were each one of us "owned" a town (initially of similar sizes) to see who could get the bigger city after some years. Thas't why the idea of a project geared towars population growth competition appeals so much to me. The industry chain seems fun to play even as a standalone GRF, and I love the idea of towns needing progressively more cargos to keep their growth.

Back when I was doing town growing games, I thought about doing patches that helped to play this way. If you think it would be useful I can implement some of the required programming changes, specially the ones related to the town name in world gui or other string changes, since I have already done something similar with my patch.

After giving a quick try to both GRFs I realized that there's no climate defined for them (I suppose it is made for temperate). The GRFs seems to work fine on subartic and tropical climates except that some industries appear twice. Disabling the original version of the industry would let you play in all three climates: same industries and cargos but different vehicles and scenario look. In toyland all TC industries and toyland industries are active. Soon I will start a game with this GRF, so expect me to come back with a more tangible feedback :)
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Terkhen wrote:I have been reading the project's wiki page. I find TC very interesting and it seems like it will be very fun to play with: some time ago I played a game with some friends were each one of us "owned" a town (initially of similar sizes) to see who could get the bigger city after some years. Thas't why the idea of a project geared towars population growth competition appeals so much to me. The industry chain seems fun to play even as a standalone GRF, and I love the idea of towns needing progressively more cargos to keep their growth.

Back when I was doing town growing games, I thought about doing patches that helped to play this way. If you think it would be useful I can implement some of the required programming changes, specially the ones related to the town name in world gui or other string changes, since I have already done something similar with my patch.
I suggest you have a look at the link in my signature. This project is an attempt to get functionality that was already written into my spinoff in a format that has trunk inclusion potential. I don't need any programming help at the moment, but the whole thing will obviously be gpl-ed, so perhaps later on more people can help get it together. But I'll definitely have a look at your patch and cut a few corners if possible 8)
Terkhen wrote:After giving a quick try to both GRFs I realized that there's no climate defined for them (I suppose it is made for temperate). The GRFs seems to work fine on subartic and tropical climates except that some industries appear twice. Disabling the original version of the industry would let you play in all three climates: same industries and cargos but different vehicles and scenario look. In toyland all TC industries and toyland industries are active. Soon I will start a game with this GRF, so expect me to come back with a more tangible feedback :)
ah, very true. For the next version I'll make sure the grfs work the same in all climates.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Korenn wrote:I suggest you have a look at the link in my signature. This project is an attempt to get functionality that was already written into my spinoff in a format that has trunk inclusion potential. I don't need any programming help at the moment, but the whole thing will obviously be gpl-ed, so perhaps later on more people can help get it together. But I'll definitely have a look at your patch and cut a few corners if possible 8)
I will try it as soon as I have some free time, and probably read some parts of the code because I already see interesting features in that project's first post :P
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

version 1.1 attached to title post:

industries now work the same in all climates. Because I'm reusing layouting, the forest will show some odd behaviour (snowed over in arctic regardless of height, candyfloss in toyland), but it's graphic only. Because fixing it requires me to redo the layouts, I'll let it be for the moment.

actually playing the game in toyland is hard, because there are no proper vehicle sets :P

Return to “Graphics Releases”