[OTTD] OpenGFX releases - Graphics Replacement Project

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX GPL Releases

Post by FooBar »

While testing the tar worked fine here. If more people experience this problem, I'll release the next version in the same format as the previous ones. For now you'll have to extract the tar yourself I'm afraid.

You sure you put the tar in the data dir and not the unextracted zip?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I used the content service, which downloaded it as a tar already. Tried it in my home openttd data directory, it got ignored in favour of windows base graphics. Tried it in game's main openttd directory same. Extracted it from the tar to the game's data directory and it worked perfectly fine.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Gremnon wrote:Tried it in my home openttd data directory, it got ignored in favour of windows base graphics.
Ah, in that case you might want to read the readme (is included in the tar and available at the wiki page). In there it's explained how to configure OpenGFX as default. If you follow those steps, you should be able to leave everything in the tar and the tar in the place where OpenTTD put it.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Interestingly, re-downloading the tarball and trying to force it to use it also fails. I think it might be because I added a few patches into my build, but I haven't tried clean trunk yet. It seems that if there's a tarball OpenGFX, and an untarred OpenGFX, it prefers the one not in the tarball.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I'll look into this some other time if you don't mind. I'm little short on time today. Since you've figured out how to get it working yourself I don't consider this top priority, but I'll surely look into it in time for the next release (whenever that may be)!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FooBar wrote:I'll look into this some other time if you don't mind. I'm little short on time today. Since you've figured out how to get it working yourself I don't consider this top priority, but I'll surely look into it in time for the next release (whenever that may be)!
Mind that there was a fix related to "just always showing a new release of OpenGFX available" in trunk which was fixed in r15218. So you might have it, but it's was shown as not present.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

Tried OpenGFX again after a few months and it is looking nice! Two things I noticed
- New font is better but still not entirely to my taste. => I tried to override the font with the settings in openttd.cfg but the the OpenGFX font still kept appearing. Is this intended behavior? It's also entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong though.
- New GUI also isn't entirely to my taste. => is it possible to deactivate certain parts of OpenGFX with parameters, so it'd be possible to use original GUI but the other graphics from OpenGFX?

Most of it looks better than the original graphics so it would be a shame if I couldn't easily 'tune' it to my preferences :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

bokkie wrote:New font is better but still not entirely to my taste.
Submit changes if you like.
bokkie wrote:I tried to override the font with the settings in openttd.cfg but the the OpenGFX font still kept appearing. Is this intended behavior?
It shouldn't do that, but if it does and you haven't done anything wrong, the problem is most likely in the game and not in OpenGFX. I'll check this one out myself and let you know what te results are.
bokkie wrote:New GUI also isn't entirely to my taste.
Suggest changes if you like.
bokkie wrote: is it possible to deactivate certain parts of OpenGFX with parameters, so it'd be possible to use original GUI but the other graphics from OpenGFX?
No, that's not possible. OpenGFX isn't loaded on top of the original graphics. The original graphics aren't loaded at all. Parameter based changed aren't possible either. Where would you like to put those parameters? OpenGFX isn't in the NewGRF window and doesn't need to be in the config file. The only solution would be creating a NewGRF which includes the old GUI and loading that on top of OpenGFX. Unfortunately everyone has to do that for themselves, as such files couldn't/shouldn't be distributed due to copyright issues.

Hope this answered your questions. I'll be heading for the station now.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

Submit changes if you like
Suggest changes if you like
Maybe I will :D For a font I'd look at available, free fonts (why create a new one?) with the right license, for the GUI I'd look at Joed's 32bpp GUI which I like very much. I'm not too proficient with photoshop but you'll never know when I find some time ;).

EDIT: wrong quote!
Last edited by bokkie on 24 Jan 2009 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Please note what you quote. For the font I wrote to submit changes, for the GUI I said to suggest changes. That all to make it a little more difficult ofcourse, but submitting changes is always better as it might get included, where suggested changes might not get done at all :P

Anyways, the font would need to be a either a public domain font, a font licensed GPL v2. Others wouldn't work too well with OpenGFX' GPLv2 license. Please note that generating the font sprites and coding them is a hell of job (284 characters) and that I ain't doing it. But submissions are always welcome and if it for whatever reason doesn't get included in OpenGFX you can always still use it as a seperate NewGRF.

As for the GUI, if you like the 32bpp GUI so much, why not just load that in the game yourself? It should work perfectly fine with OpenGFX. IIRC, converting that particular GUI to 8bpp has been attempted in the past, but the results weren't that great so it has been decided that we needed a new one instead. :wink:
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

FooBar wrote:Unfortunately everyone has to do that for themselves, as such files couldn't/shouldn't be distributed due to copyright issues.
Huh? Do I missunderstand GPL?
I would also like a newgrf version of OpenGFX, not sure, how up2date the newgrfs from the developer thread are. It seems easier to split the base grf and create categorized newgrfs from it. (depense also of the source of OpenGFX, not sure, if they are already available...)

Greets
Ammler
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Ammler wrote:Do I missunderstand GPL?
No, you misunderstand what is under GPL and what isn't. The original Transport Tycoon (Deluxe) graphics are NOT under GPL or any permissive redistribution license, so distributing a NewGRF that replaces the toolbar graphics with the graphics from the original Transport Tycoon (Deluxe) is not allowed.
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Ah, he meant to convert the original base graphics to newgrf. :oops:

But the other way should still be possible, keep a newgrf version of OpenGFX and you should be able to use only parts you like.

Greets
Ammler
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Ammler wrote:I would also like a newgrf version of OpenGFX, not sure, how up2date the newgrfs from the developer thread are. It seems easier to split the base grf and create categorized newgrfs from it. (depense also of the source of OpenGFX, not sure, if they are already available...)
The base grfs distributed via this thread are the most up-to-date ones. The newgrfs from the development thread shouldn't be much different, but occasionally I improve some minor things here and there directly in my local copy without releasing it as newgrf first.

We currently don't have the intention to release OpenGFX as categorized NewGRFs. If you want to use such categorized newgrfs you'll either have to settle for the unsupported and possibly broken newgrfs from the development thread or you'll have to create new newgrfs from the base graphics release.

The current OpenGFX source is available, though only upon request. Please be adviced that the source is a big mess and probably I am the only one who understands how it works, but nevertheless it's the source. If you want a copy of the source, please send me a PM and I'll make it available for download somewhere. Current source is around 30 MB.
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Hmm, I can't seem to get this to run in r15480, though I haven't tried command-line.

EDIT: How do I access command-line on Vista? :S
Hmm, what should I put here...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

mrMann wrote:EDIT: How do I access command-line on Vista? :S
Open the folder containing the OTTD executable. Put the mouse pointer in some empty space, hold down the shift key and rightclick. Then select the 'open command prompt here' option.

But it really should also work without the command-line option. What have you tried so far?
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

It's far easier to create a shortcut to the .exe and edit its properties.
The "Target" property of a shortcut is actually the command-line that gets run, so you can add any command-line options to the end of that box.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Got it working now. Thanks Thief!
Hmm, what should I put here...
Daniel Schuhmann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Daniel Schuhmann »

Hi folks,

I've tried the OpenGFX set the first time now. It looks great and it's really great that's possible to use OpenTTD legal without the TTD graphics.

But two questions about the sample.cat:

- The Sample.cat problem is annoying. Would it be possible to get some information about the workaround (creating a 0 byte sample.cat dummy file) into the readme?

- Although the game is running very fine with the dummy sample.cat file, the game prompts "Your 'sample.cat' file is corrupted or missing! You can find 'sample.cat' on your Transport Tycoon Deluxe CD-ROM." on every startup. Is there (without recompiling OpenTTD :D ) any way to avoid this message?

All the best,
Daniel
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

It's no problem to add some information on the sample.cat file to the readme. In fact, some releases had information on the sample.cat file in their readmes. I somehow managed to remove that, but I can't remember why I did that...

There's no way to avoid the error message you get when using a dummy sample.cat. There's a reason for that: imagine you think you installed the original sample.cat, but the game doesn't produce any sound effects. If the game doesn't give an error message you'll be blaming the game while it's actually your own error that it doesn't work (e.g. you put the file in the wrong dir).

As soon as the sound replacement project takes a more final shape, the devs probably will do something about this issue. If you want to see this behaviour changed, feel free to post a suggestion in the appropriate forum/flyspray ;)

Glad to head that you like OpenGFX thought! :D

Return to “Graphics Releases”