[OTTD] OpenGFX releases - Graphics Replacement Project

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX releases - Graphics Replacement Project

Post by peter1138 »

That isn't the same situation...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It looks like it has the same issue tbh... I still have all the source files for OpenGFX so it should be fairly easy to tweak though.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

petern wrote: That isn't the same situation...
I know ... I just tried covering all possible slopes in one shot.

Feel free to request a different tile composition if you feel it is needed or easier to work with.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I came across this monorail misalignment on the grass sprites in the tropical climate while testing level crossings. The crossings are correct, it's the straight track pieces that seem to be drawn too high. Not sure if it's been noticed before, I couldn't find any mention of it through searching.
Attachments
Wardington Transport, 18th Apr 2040.png
(61.55 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

That looks like a 1px alignment error was made overlaying the monorail onto the road graphics, i guess that can be corrected in the original source. Is it just the tropical grass sprites that have that problem?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Actually, it's the regular track pieces which are misaligned, not the crossings. Maybe this shows it a little better:
alignment.png
alignment.png (27.32 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Only the tropical grass monorail sprites have this issue, everything else seems fine.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

OpenGFX 0.4.7

It's a maintenance release targeted at OpenTTD trunk users which includes the new GUI icons needed for window default size button and the buttons related to the story board.

You can conveniently obtain it via the ingame content download or from the DevZone.
drginaldee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by drginaldee »

Hi guys is still anything happening about openGFX non-toy land stuff? Or its done?

I made a house (4618-19) manymany years ago, but now because some other project i just rushed into it, and thought it has problems :) I made a update, but in the same time i was wandering around trying to find out whats up, and i see nothing, all post are more years old. So whats on? Also I found something a bout building changing color, so i thought if someone tell me which colors to use to achieve this I would change my sprite to be a colorable one... ? any thoughts?

Also is it possible to rework or enhance any already done sprite? Some city building look supercool but not as sophisticated as others, and I may smooth :) them a bit of course in respect of the original creator... ???
I see that you are all on toy-land, but sorry its not interest me at all.

Anyway have a good day.
cheers
dee
[HUN]
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

OpenGFX is generally considered "done", but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Some sprites were rushed at the time (for instance converting 32bbp sprites to 8bpp) just to get a complete set. So if you want to improve certain things I think you're very much welcome to do so.

For buildings with variable colours you'd need to use the (blue) company colours. Please note that recolouring is only supported on specific buildings.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you're going to start diving into fixing 8bpp 1x sprites, perhaps you may want to consider adding 8bpp extra zoom sprites, too?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

OpenGFX is always open for improvement; that's the point of having open source graphics!

I suggest you stick to improving, rather than redrawing, sprites in most cases (to keep the overall game style the same). Some sprites directly converted from 3D could use a complete redraw though.
The suggestion to create extra zoom versions while you are doing some improvements is also a great suggestion.
Kerbiter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kerbiter »

@kamnet
I think that that 8bpp 2x zoom will be fine too, keeping nice pixelated style of OpenGFX :D
My English is bad, so please PM me about my mistakes :roll:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Kerbiter wrote:@kamnet
I think that that 8bpp 2x zoom will be fine too, keeping nice pixelated style of OpenGFX :D
Of course not. 8bpp 4x zoom will be fine, too. Just take the 1x sprite, scale it with 2x or 4x and then 'fix' it by improving the detail (just don't move stuff around in the zoom-in sprites like changing position of house edges, road shoulders,... or it won't fit anymore with the yet unscaled sprites)
drginaldee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by drginaldee »

Okay. I would like to ask for some memory refresh questions:

- where do I find the latest sprites?
- where should i submit them?

also i don't know about this 2x 4x options, i read that i have to rescale them and edit them but how to submit them? They are differnet sprites?

Thanx
d
[HUN]
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

drginaldee wrote:Okay. I would like to ask for some memory refresh questions:

- where do I find the latest sprites?
- where should i submit them?

also i don't know about this 2x 4x options, i read that i have to rescale them and edit them but how to submit them? They are differnet sprites?

Thanx
d
Each zoom level has its own sprites, yes (though OpenTTD does some scaling when it doesn't have sprites for the zoom level it needs to show).

OpenGFX's home is at the DevZone where you find its repository with all code and sprites: https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx
Repository: https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx/repository
Issues: https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx/issues

It is (IMHO) quite logically structured. However feel free to ask for more detailed directions if you search something particular.

As to where to submit sprites: the best place is to open a new issue for that project (same link as above) and attach the sprites there and specify for which spirtes they are an update. However the threads here in this forum http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38122 would also be suitable (but it's much harder to find something, especially if not a very recent discussion - albeit it makes for a better discussion due to the larger audience). In essence you can also do both: open an issue and link to the posting here (or link in a posting here to the issue over there).

Return to “Graphics Releases”