LOTR & WoW town names

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

LOTR & WoW town names

Post by Trond »

LOTR & WoW Town Names v2.00

So, heres a new file. I like playing my games with various town names, so I tought I'd make one with the names from LOTR (The Lord of the Ring). So I did. And when that was done, I wanted one with the names from the other awesome game beside OpenTTD: WoW (World of Warcraft). So I started that... And then I tought: why dont put both into one file; one download; two sets of new town names. So I did.

V2.00 is up, you can now choose between LOTR, WoW or both together :)

LOTR consists of 135 names. Names are taken from cities, lakes, mountains and rivers.
WoW consists of 181 names. Names are taken from cities and outpost etc.
LOTR & WoW consists of a total of 316 names.

Any names missing? Let me know =)

If you replace v1 with v2 and use on an existing savegame, weird things could happen, you could end up with 20 towns with the same name and stuff like that...
Attachments
lotrwow.png
list of townnames
(73.78 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
TGlotrwow.grf
v2.00
(9.46 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Isengard celebrates
Isengard celebrates
lotrwow.png (244.52 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
Last edited by Trond on 08 Dec 2013 10:02, edited 10 times in total.
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: LOTR & WoW town names

Post by Purno »

Heh, funny idea. Though I don't know a lot of town names in Middle Earth, I'm quite familiar in Azeroth.

I'm gonna be the first one to build a tram between Stormwind and Ironforge. Oh wait...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Haha :D

I havent been playing WoW for a couple or years+, but you can certainly be the first to build a busline from IF to SW atleast :p I think?
Just putting all these names together brought back some nice flashes from the times in Azeroth and more. Lovely game indeed, but then they made it suitable for preschoolers and a lot of the fun dissapeared for me ;)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Trond wrote:Haha :D

I havent been playing WoW for a couple or years+,
So what names are included? Is Outland included? Northrend? Cataclysm? Pandaria?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Everything should be included from vanilla till today... But I could have slipped a name or two ofcoz...

Bertrand Russell

krinn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by krinn »

Trond wrote:but you can certainly be the first to build a busline from IF to SW atleast :p
By tunnel of course !
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

:P

I remember the first time I was going to sw... My computer was very bad, so it lagged like hell... And then someone was telling me I needed to take the tram to SW... I tought he was kidding ofcourse, and spent a whole day trying to find my way from IF to SW on feet... It was a long journey for a level 20-30 in all gray armor :D

Bertrand Russell

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

You must, of course, play with Av8 if you use the WoW names. Have to build zeppelins to everywhere! 8)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Hehe, I almost had forgotten all the back and forths on zeppelin :p The trip was always so slow... But when you ran to the toilet, the zepps were suddenly so fast you had returned to org when you got back and had to do the trip once more :p

Not to forget the lag in the early days, when you zoned it sometimes lagged so much the zeppeling was already on its way back when my game caught up with the server.... Good times :p

BTW: v2.00 is up :)

Bertrand Russell

Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

I don't seem to be able to get this to work, I've added it to the newgrf configuration, but I still only get default town names, any ideas?
better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not :wink:
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

After downloading and activating the town newgrf, select the town names in the game options window (and then start a new game :) )
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

or select and activate newgrf, then before even creating a new map, click gameoptions and select it ;)
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

Alberth wrote:After downloading and activating the town newgrf, select the town names in the game options window (and then start a new game :) )
Duh, I'm a putz...many thanks
better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not :wink:

Return to “Graphics Releases”