[OpenTTD] Looking for: elevated rail-type bridge

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

[OpenTTD] Looking for: elevated rail-type bridge

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Hey guys,

I'd like to experiment with elevated railways in urban centers (á la Chicago L). TBRS offers a great selection, but the bridges either look out of place (cantilever, suspension) or have supports which obstruct the entire width of the road/railway below (viaduct). Bridge Nr. 19 doesn't appear to be available yet, unfortunately. Froix' monkey bar bridge isn't really what I'm looking for either.

Could you recommend other sets, perhaps point me to a NewGRF I missed? I'd really appreciate it!

Kind Regards,
The Axe
My scenarios for JGRpp: Motor City (1910), Fortune Bay (1993)
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OpenTTD] Looking for: elevated rail-type bridge

Post by sunshare »

I proposed that can build bridge piers to avoid raising the ground and not have to fill several tiles if the train wants to double being high for example.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Dr. B. Ching wrote:Hey guys,

I'd like to experiment with elevated railways in urban centers (á la Chicago L). TBRS offers a great selection, but the bridges either look out of place (cantilever, suspension) or have supports which obstruct the entire width of the road/railway below (viaduct). Bridge Nr. 19 doesn't appear to be available yet, unfortunately. Froix' monkey bar bridge isn't really what I'm looking for either.

Could you recommend other sets, perhaps point me to a NewGRF I missed? I'd really appreciate it!

Kind Regards,
The Axe
As far as I know, there are no bridges which look like this. Would probably make for a fine candidate for a bridge replacement, for sure, but you'll likely have to draw it yourself.

sunshare wrote:I proposed that can build bridge piers to avoid raising the ground and not have to fill several tiles if the train wants to double being high for example.
As soon as you start re-designing OpenTTD to support such a major change in the code, we can have it. There's a laundry list of things which people have been asking for over the years, though, that should probably get done first, but if you're the one who wants to work on it, nobody can say no.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

kamnet wrote:As far as I know, there are no bridges which look like this.
But there is ... It's on my hard drive waiting for its turn on my release schedule. The question is which bridge do I bump to make room for it?
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

wallyweb wrote:
But there is ... It's on my hard drive waiting for its turn on my release schedule. The question is which bridge do I bump to make room for it?
It looks like TBRS doesn't change the default Silicon or Steel Tubular bridges, meaning those slots are basically free. I've been planning for some time now to modify the OGFX sprites into a "New York style" Steel Viaduct, as shown in this crude mockup
steel viaduct.png
steel viaduct.png (12.54 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddy Arfik wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
It looks like TBRS doesn't change the default Silicon or Steel Tubular bridges, meaning those slots are basically free. I've been planning for some time now to modify the OGFX sprites into a "New York style" Steel Viaduct, as shown in this crude mockup
steel viaduct.png
Historically side note: it developed vice versa: the default tubular bridges were there first and then then it was decided to promote them to become default bridges :)

As to the screenshot: I'd like to see such bridge :) However the guard rails seem different on front and back side.
And probably the pillars could be reworked slightly, though I've no idea how. Currently they seem to carry the impression of somewhat slight mis-alignment - but maybe that's just me.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Eddy Arfik wrote:It looks like TBRS doesn't change the default Silicon or Steel Tubular bridges, meaning those slots are basically free.
These are recolour sprites of the Tubular, Steel (Bronze) Bridge.
According to the NewGRF Specs there are 11 (0 through 10) bridge IDs. As far as I know, OpenTTD uses recolouring of the last ID (10) to add two more (11 and 12) for a total of 13.
Note that IDs 11 and 12 are OTTD only and do not work under TTDP. Yes, I agree that almost everybody uses OTTD these days, but common courtesy is to code for both if at all possible.
I do have a working GRF for standard and narrow gauges. Is there a simple way to accommodate several track types without having to provide bridge sprites for each? I do not see this described in the specs.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

planetmaker wrote:As to the screenshot: I'd like to see such bridge :) However the guard rails seem different on front and back side.
And probably the pillars could be reworked slightly, though I've no idea how. Currently they seem to carry the impression of somewhat slight mis-alignment - but maybe that's just me.
Yeah, there's no guard rails on the front and the whole thing is horribly misaligned, it was a quick mockup in GIMP as a proof-of-concept. It's going to need a lot more work before I've got something that looks like my reference photos
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

Eddy Arfik wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
steel viaduct.png
I've been saying it would be good to have a pillar in the header of the bridges to use a single tile and not have to raise the floor occupying three tiles, would be ideal for use in cities and not having to demolish several houses to raise the floor.

The pillar of the bridge would serve dual pair awhen train or merge with another bridge.

I have no ability to design, but would not be asking this feature if possible.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Kind Regards,
The Axe
Here is an Urban Transit solution that I have been working on.
Note the streets under the bridges.
The rail solution can only do a single track.
The tram solution is double track (alternate directions).
The tram solution is a work in progress.

Are these what you are looking for?
Attachments
UrbanTransit.png
UrbanTransit.png (188.46 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

wallyweb wrote:

Kind Regards,
The Axe
Here is an Urban Transit solution that I have been working on.
Note the streets under the bridges.
The rail solution can only do a single track.
The tram solution is double track (alternate directions).
The tram solution is a work in progress.

Are these what you are looking for?
I love how it is!

They may build pillar to double at 45 degrees on a tile train in tune with the road?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

sunshare wrote:I love how it is!
Thank you. :D
They may build pillar to double at 45 degrees on a tile train in tune with the road?
If you mean a higher bridge that is more than one level higher than the road, the answer is yes.
The road underneath (=below) the bridge can be sloped.
Attachments
UrbanTransit2.png
UrbanTransit2.png (134.97 KiB) Viewed 6913 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 27 Jan 2015 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

wallyweb wrote:
If you mean a higher bridge that is more than one level higher than the road, the answer is yes.
And when does a turn the railroad as it is? It occupies a single tile?
You got an example to see?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

sunshare wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
You got an example to see?
You are a very fast poster. :lol:
See above. :wink:
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

wallyweb wrote:
You got an example to see?[/quote]You are a very fast poster. :lol:
See above. :wink:[/quote]

you are raising the floor, I was wondering if you could make the turn of the train on a single tile using pillars or complicated?

As in the metro chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leQSsRmNdXE
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

sunshare wrote:I was wondering if you could make the turn of the train on a single tile using pillars or complicated?

As in the metro chicago
It is not complcated. It is impossible. :(
OTTD and TTDP do not support curves in bridges.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

wallyweb wrote:
sunshare wrote:I was wondering if you could make the turn of the train on a single tile using pillars or complicated?

As in the metro chicago
It is not complcated. It is impossible. :(
OTTD and TTDP do not support curves in bridges.

I did not know that. I still want to have that grf which is quite good for the city.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

Look Simutrans

Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Yep, cannot be done currently.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

sunshare wrote:I did not know that. I still want to have that grf which is quite good for the city.
I will move the project to the top of my schedule. Allow me one week to complete it. :D
Sadly OTTD is not Simutrans. :P

Return to “Graphics Releases”