Heavy Equipment Set (HEQS) v1.5.2 released! [OTTD]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

STT Transport
Chairman
Chairman

Re: NewGRF set proposal: Special Vehicles (Heavy Equipment?)

Post by STT Transport »

andythenorth wrote:So I'm pretty happy with how the 2nd company colour looks. It gives players the option to have the 'big iron' vehicles in either their company colour, or in a more realistic colour such as yellow. Gray, green, orange, cream and white all look great as well, especially white (my favourite).
I do the same thing but the truck's keeping the same basic green color's :S
"A million years into the sky is Ra, Sun God. Sealed and buried for all time, his Stargate."
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

STT Transport wrote:
andythenorth wrote:So I'm pretty happy with how the 2nd company colour looks. It gives players the option to have the 'big iron' vehicles in either their company colour, or in a more realistic colour such as yellow. Gray, green, orange, cream and white all look great as well, especially white (my favourite).
I do the same thing but the truck's keeping the same basic green color's :S
DJ updated the grf in the original post he released it in - did you get that? Works fine in OTTD 0.6.1. Would try and help more, but it's definitely a test grf, I want to draw some more bulldozers right now ;)
STT Transport
Chairman
Chairman

Post by STT Transport »

i will try to donwload it again and i will see thxs for the info ;)

EDIT:
I See the truck now in color :P (dindnt see the edit form him :P)
But how about those bulldozers ? I dont see them or is that somthing for in the futhre ?:O
"A million years into the sky is Ra, Sun God. Sealed and buried for all time, his Stargate."
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

STT Transport wrote:i will try to donwload it again and i will see thxs for the info ;)

EDIT:
But how about those bulldozers ? I dont see them or is that somthing for in the futhre ?:O
All in the future STT - sorry, but I reckon you'll have to live with just the mining truck for quite a while!
STT Transport
Chairman
Chairman

Post by STT Transport »

andythenorth wrote:
STT Transport wrote:i will try to donwload it again and i will see thxs for the info ;)

EDIT:
All in the future STT - sorry, but I reckon you'll have to live with just the mining truck for quite a while!
No problem with that :P The test version is great :D I will follow this topic :P :D
Gon on with the work :P :D!
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Just a quick thought. How about a couple of Liebherr cranes to join this mighty muscle escapade? :D
STT Transport
Chairman
Chairman

Post by STT Transport »

Maybye a idea to put those trucks on a train (for very long distanse ) :P
EDIT:
Bad idea thats to much work to get him compettible with tthe difrend stes!!
Last edited by Lakie on 23 Jun 2008 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dulled the red for those people using the tt-forums style.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

No. 6 Bulldozer:
no-6-bulldozer.png
no-6-bulldozer.png (997 Bytes) Viewed 11925 times
Might rework the cab later....gotta draw more views of more things first though...
STT Transport
Chairman
Chairman

Post by STT Transport »

Looking good but on witch industry will he be ?

EDIT:
Change industrie with industry :mrgreen:
Last edited by STT Transport on 22 Jun 2008 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Give it some trailers and it can be any industry! I would say go for TTD style names, ie. poor puns on the real name (Asia Star) for vehicles with obvious real life inspiration and just make them up for the others... Use some of the names from the GRVTS if you want...
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Zephyris wrote:Give it some trailers and it can be any industry!
Yes, it will only run with trailers. There would be eye-candy in having lone bulldozers running around the map, but it's completely pointless for gameplay - and this will be a gameplay focussed set.
Zephyris wrote:I would say go for TTD style names........Use some of the names from the GRVTS if you want...
That was my thinking exactly, for lots of reasons: I grew up with those silly TTD names; I like the GRVTS names; most of my vehicles are made up anyway; I can't be bothered with the possible legal hassle from using real trademarked names.
Been thinking up some fun names (and was planning to use some of the GRVTS manufacturers - so thanks).
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

what about not-to-out-of-real names ...

John Deer could be John Moose
Moxy Trucks could be Maxi Trucks
Volvo could be Valvo, or even iRoll (as volvo is latin or something for "im rolling")
Mercedes could be ... some other stripper-name :)
Boeing could be Boing (as the sound you get from a stretched coil/spring beeing released)

and by the way ... i can't really see that a IRL manufacturer would mind "us" useing their real names in this game, as it would be free advertising. And i've read somewhere that if something (lets say a computerbrand) is mentioned favorly in i.e. a radioshow, that this radiotime is worth 5-10x as much as it would in pure commercials :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Niek
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Niek »

I'd prefer really made up names over semi-made up names. I think names like Boing, Airvan, Valvo and what have you sound very silly.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Honestly, what's wrong with real names? The vehicles are based on actual prototypes, why not tell people exactly what they're playing with? Most, if not all of the train sets out there do it, the plane sets, Newships.. I don't see any legal issues as far as naming a truck. If anything it's free advertising.

I'm all for real vehicle names. If it's a Cat dump truck, let me buy a Cat dump truck. You do appear to be using actual prototypes as your base, and the North American RV set will have actual names as well.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

DanMacK wrote:Honestly, what's wrong with real names? The vehicles are based on actual prototypes, why not tell people exactly what they're playing with? Most, if not all of the train sets out there do it, the plane sets, Newships.. I don't see any legal issues as far as naming a truck. If anything it's free advertising.

I'm all for real vehicle names. If it's a Cat dump truck, let me buy a Cat dump truck. You do appear to be using actual prototypes as your base, and the North American RV set will have actual names as well.
My thoughts exactly (but not plagiarised :lol: )
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Three things affect my decision to use non-real names:

1. Most of the vehicles I'm drawing are 'inspired by', not accurate 'representations of'. The articulated dump truck is a blend of Moxy, Volvo, Cat, JCB, John Deere. The mining truck is a mix of 25 years worth of big mining trucks. Therefore it's mostly not meaningful to say it's a Volvo XY3423B or whatever when it isn't.

2. I am re-balancing vehicle stats for gameplay, therefore I don't want people popping up and saying the Cat D6 wasn't 200HP in 1974, it was 203HP. And the top speed is wrong... etc." - because it's not supposed to be a Cat D6. Basically 'wrong' stats disappoint some players (I wouldn't like to see a 5000HP SD40 in CanSet, it would be just wrong), and I need the freedom to make balanced gameplay.

3. The legal issue I can't duck. Company names are trademarks, and all it takes is an aggressive legal team to get into legal disputes. Although the most likely thing is a cease-and-desist letter (which could be complied with), if a lawyer wanted to take it further they could. For a private individual they are very unlikely to pursue it very far, but for various reasons, they could definitely come after my company on this issue; I can't afford that (legals take up time and money, even if it's just a cease and desist). And yes it is free advertising, and there is no damage to the brand, but IP lawyers don't see it that way - they make their living by taking the opposite view. Even brands that should get it often don't

So sorry, no to real names, because they're not real vehicles, and I don't want the hassle. :wink:

I know that won't please everyone, but it gets the issue out of my way and lets me get on with drawing the set - in my view the best sets are made by just a few single-minded people choosing to do something and sticking to it :)
dev|ant
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by dev|ant »

Hi Andy,

Great idea for a set, and fantastic looking vehicles so far.

For people who don't know, Roujin is working on a trails patch for OTTD to go with this set here.

I'd put my hand up to code but it seems you've had a few offers already, so I'll just sit back enviously and watch as this set comes to life. :lol:

Keep up the good work!
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Wouldn't it be even worse to use non-real names since you were inspired by real models? Maybe keep real names and use ficticious model numbers.
And a screenshot 'cause they are very cool:
Attachments
Slonnton Transport, 11th May 1980.png
Slonnton Transport, 11th May 1980.png (58.49 KiB) Viewed 9126 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

No. 8 Bulldozer - all angles.
no-8-bulldozer.png
no-8-bulldozer.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 8919 times
Needs a few tweaks. Right bugger to draw these things - complicated shapes!

No. 9 Bulldozer - all angles.
no-9-bulldozer.png
no-9-bulldozer.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
zero1000
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: Munich area, Bavaria, Germany, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by zero1000 »

how about somethimg like these road trains:
http://www.etftrucks.nl/Products/Roadtrains/
:D
zero1000

Return to “Graphics Releases”