Norwegian Funny Town Names Released

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Norwegian Funny Town Names Released

Post by Trond »

dang... I'm pretty slow today, but I figured it out in the end :D

Will have to make an update to my file then... But not today I guess ;)

Thanks a lot you two!
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Uhm... This aint working as I tought it should...

Code: Select all

00 10 C3 E9 "Tissvassklumptjønnin"
and

Code: Select all

00 10 "ÞTissvassklumptjønnin"
will look like this in the game:
huh.png
huh.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 5626 times

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

I'm now not sure which one you used :D Try the other one.. See if it fixes.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

used alt +0222 as I got the understanding that was what I should use... I'll try with the 0254 and see what happends...

as you can see I also used the c3 e9 wich glx told me, and the result was the same...

Bertrand Russell

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Well.. it seems that you'll get utf-8 automatically and there it just gets the thorn as anothe rletter... I dunno why though. Maybe it's forced to all norwegian language. Try what happens when you have other language like English active..
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

tried that... with english and german, the norwegian letters showed just fine without me changing anything ^^
Maybe the extra letters are included in the game that way? So even if I run norwegian language, I will get correct estonian letters too?

Bertrand Russell

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Updated version, see 1st post.

Bertrand Russell

Nudel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nudel »

Laughed at Torskefjordhøyden :lol:
I use english menus in OpenTTD, and the names work perfectly.

Didn't find Breiskallen in there though? That could make a good addition me thinks ;)

Tusen takk, I'll only use this from now on, awesome work!
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Glad you liked it Nudel! Will include Breiskallen in next release, I never heard of that, funny name :lol:

Bertrand Russell

EirikhO
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EirikhO »

I just wonder, Vennesla and Askim isn't funny? :p Rumpedalen was good, but Drøbak? Yes, I've heard the expression "dra til Drøbak", using drøbak instead of helvete, but still... :?
This is my signature.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

EirikhO wrote:I just wonder, Vennesla and Askim isn't funny? :p Rumpedalen was good, but Drøbak? Yes, I've heard the expression "dra til Drøbak", using drøbak instead of helvete, but still... :?
1st post?
adding a few hundred names (726 to be exact), not all of them are equally funny (a few not funny at all) but I had to fill up the file when I was doing it

Bertrand Russell

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Trying to add some more names to this file, there are 740+ now, and it seems to work like it should. Its been a while since I messed with anything like this, so I'm struggling a bit.

If anyone wanne run a test or 3 on this file and tell me if it works as it should, it would be really nice :) It should go in "Documents\OpenTTD\newgrf".
Attachments
norw_names.grf
(7.03 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by Trond on 06 Nov 2013 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Bertrand Russell

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

It should not go anywhere inside the content_download directory or any sub-directory thereof. The directory is reserved for OpenTTD's internal usage.

If you manually place stuff, place it in the appropriate directory, like ~/Documents/OpenTTD/newgrf in this case.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Well, it works for me no matter wich of the two folders I choose, but I see your point... Fixed it in the post...

Bertrand Russell

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Norwegian Silly Real Town Names v4.00

Well, so after a bit of "pushing" from planetmaker (the nmlpusher), I decided to take a look at making the next version of this file using NML instead of NFO... Well, here it is. Hopefully it will work exactly like it should, and there should be no mistakes made on my part...

There are now 779 REAL names in the file. The file should be placed in the newgrf folder (Documents\OpenTTD\newgrf in Win7Pro).

This is based upon the Alberta Canada file from MW.
Attachments
TGNames.grf
V4.00
(8.89 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Tissvassklumptjønnin celebrates
Tissvassklumptjønnin celebrates
morsomme.png (267.21 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
Last edited by Trond on 08 Dec 2013 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

Bertrand Russell

skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

Without having studied the names, a few suggestions (might be duplicates :oops: )

[*]Lavskallen (Low hill, but also lesser intelligent life)
[*]Musevann (Mouse Lake, but can also have a slightly sexual meaning)
[*]Dåsevatn (Same as over, though I am not sure how to actually translate the name, probably something like Small Box Lake)
[*]Langballan (Long Balls, think there are a place with this actual name
[*]Pulestrand (f*** Beach :) )
[*]Indreytre (Inner Outer)
[*]Ytreindre (Outer Inner)
[*]Hell (this Norwegian name does NOT translate to English Hell, it is probably short for Helle which means a small cave, of the type that was inhabitable in the stone ages, the English word Hell translates Helvete in Norwegian which also could be a good place name)
[*]Nedenunder (Down Below)
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Thank you skippern :) I'll write them down and include those that are not already in (I dont remember them all ;) ). I know for a fact that Hell (og lykke) is already in :)

Bertrand Russell

skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

Don't know if you are up for dialect words as well, but some of them can be really hard to write down
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Been using only the 'correctly written' names as found on sites like the weathersites/mapsites etc :) If I should start using dialects, there would be too many similar with just different spelling/pronunciation I believe...

Bertrand Russell

Return to “Graphics Releases”