Unique Train Wagons for FIRS cargos [ATOV]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Lemur25
Engineer
Engineer

Unique Train Wagons for FIRS cargos [ATOV]

Post by Lemur25 »

A set of train wagons with unique graphics for new cargos in FIRS both loaded and unloaded. This allows you to play with FIRS without refitting train wagons so its more like the original game. Graphics, prices, and cargo sizes designed to match the original vehicle set.

Currently has all cargos in FIRS 4, you can use it with other versions of FIRS but may have to refit wagons for the missing cargos.

Available at BaNaNaS or ingame content downloader: ATOV_UniqueFIRSWagons
AllFirsWagons.png
(225.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Unique Train Wagons for FIRS cargos [ATOV]

Post by odisseus »

But... but refitting wagons is part of the fun. In the original game, it was an oversight or perhaps a limitation of the game engine.

For example, there is absolutely no reason why e.g. "Coal Hopper" and "Iron Ore Hopper" should be two separate wagons. The same train should be able to haul Coal and Iron Ore without going to depot for rearranging or refitting.

IIRC there's a train set (I don't remember which one) that handles wagon refitting in a more realistic way. There are "dirty" cargoes such as Coal, Iron Ore, Oil... and "clean" ones such as Grain, Food, Water etc. Refitting between "dirty" cargoes, or from "clean" to "dirty", can happen at a station at no cost, but refitting between "clean" ones, or from "dirty" to clean", has to be done at a depot and incurs a cost.
Lemur25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lemur25 »

I like the look of having all the different trains going around, and being able to see what a train is carrying just by looking at it. I guess a solution is to have 1 universal wagon and just change the graphics whenever it is refit.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I see no point in this graphic.
Some wagons have different graphics for coal or iron ore, this can also be solved by coloring the wagon. In addition, when I see where the train is going, I know what it is probably carrying.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

odisseus wrote: 16 Mar 2024 16:30 But... but refitting wagons is part of the fun. In the original game, it was an oversight or perhaps a limitation of the game engine.

For example, there is absolutely no reason why e.g. "Coal Hopper" and "Iron Ore Hopper" should be two separate wagons. The same train should be able to haul Coal and Iron Ore without going to depot for rearranging or refitting.
There is a UX reason, having a separate wagon that you can just buy is way faster and simpler that dealing with refits and filters. And for vanilla cargoes it works just fine.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The vanilla game is boring. I understand that this is enough to make someone happy, but not me :)
Lemur25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lemur25 »

I prefer to keep my game more vanilla for now, that's been the idea behind this series of newGRFs.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

_dp_ wrote: 17 Mar 2024 11:02 There is a UX reason, having a separate wagon that you can just buy is way faster and simpler that dealing with refits and filters.
I see your point, but I cannot agree with your conclusion. In case of a long cargo list (such as with FIRS or XIS), both options are quite awkward.

I wonder if the vehicle purchase dialog could be redesigned to look more like station placement dialog, with a list of pre-defined filters on the left and a list of filtered items on the right.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

odisseus wrote: 17 Mar 2024 21:56 I wonder if the vehicle purchase dialog could be redesigned to look more like station placement dialog, with a list of pre-defined filters on the left and a list of filtered items on the right.
JGRPP splits the engine and wagon selection apart, players seem to like it.

odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

That's not quite what I had in mind, but nevertheless it is a clear improvement over the original game's interface.
Lemur25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lemur25 »

Since FIRS is broken up into 5 different economies, each one isn't really all that big. Something like AXIS would be much more of a problem.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Lemur25 wrote: 18 Mar 2024 00:34 Since FIRS is broken up into 5 different economies, each one isn't really all that big. Something like AXIS would be much more of a problem.
Iron Horse has about 60 or 70 types of wagons (non-cargo-specific, refittable).

I think this ATOV wagon grf is no problem at all, people who don't want to use this one-wagon-per-cargo approach can get a grf with one universal wagon or something :wink:

By the way FIRS 5 Steeltown will have 63 cargos :twisted: https://grf.farm/firs/steeltown-v5-prev ... #steeltown
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Well, of course the existence of an optional add-on is not a problem. I see it as an attempt to solve a problem, though the solution is subpar. The proper solution would be an UI redesign.

Return to “Graphics Releases”