Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:23 pm 
Chairman
Chairman

New, very much improved Trollybi set available now! Now includes a variety of truck types to cover all 'default' types, with improved sprites, cargo graphics, 2cc, and a 4th generation of vehicles. 40 total new trolley powered road vehicles to handle any cargo!

Attachment:
File comment: Two gravel trucks leave a quarry
gravel.PNG [148.48 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
File comment: New Version
Trolleybi012.grf [580.7 KiB]
Downloaded 35 times

edit: had to fix cargo compatibility for flatbeds

Please check it out, give your feedback on balance etc.

Old:
NotRoadTypes finally makes possible Rubber Tyred Trolley trucks and buses that are actually distinct from trams. However, it has not yet been possible to test them out in game as none of the existing trolleybus sets are coded to use this feature. This prompted me to make a basic RV set, in the style of OpenGFX+ RVs, to try out these vehicles in game.

This set provides 9 new vehicles, to match the three generations of road vehicles in OGFX+. There are three each of buses, mail vans, and piece goods trucks, refit table in the same manner as in OGFX+. An eventual goal is for this set to become part of OGFX+, rather than to become a complex stand alone set. I may add other truck types in the future, but for now this selection allows players to try out the trolley truck concept.

The set is designed to be roughly balanced against the default vehicles, with purchase costs a bit higher and top speed a bit lower, but slightly lower weight and running costs, and higher capacity and power. Hopefully this lets these vehicles fill a more urban niche as compared to the more over the road role of the default diesel vehicles.

The set takes sprites from OpenGFX, with new additions from me. This work is released under the GPLv2 license, so feel free to adapt it to other uses, but be warned that my code is very crude.

Future work:
-improve sprites/add 2cc
-add other truck types
-add non-electric trams
-add some late game dual mode vehicles
-create sprites for two-conductor trolleywire
-integrate with OpenGFX+ RVs

Attachment:
File comment: Old Version
Trolleybi.grf [33.74 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times

Get NRT here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=75637
Get some more wired up roads here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=75941

EDIT: Fixed Roadtype table in grf.

Last edited by supermop on Mon May 15, 2017 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:35 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

supermop wrote:
Trolleybi.grf

What is this that sparketh thus?
Can it be a Trolley Bus?

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:26 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Thank you for moving OpenTTD into new directions!

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:42 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

supermop wrote:
NotRoadTypes finally makes possible Rubber Tyred Trolley trucks and buses...

Wait... what did I just read? There is actually proper Trolleybuses around? When did the ability to do this happen?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:45 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Pilot wrote:
supermop wrote:
NotRoadTypes finally makes possible Rubber Tyred Trolley trucks and buses...

Wait... what did I just read? There is actually proper Trolleybuses around? When did the ability to do this happen?

It's not officially in OpenTTD, but there is a new spec being developed that allows for new types of roads, and new types of vehicles to be developed for them.
You can find copies of a forked version of the game over in the developer section.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:08 am 
Chairman
Chairman

Few vignettes of the new vehicles:

Attachment:
File comment: Fully laden 3rd generation open truck carries fruit to a brewery in town
fruit.PNG [107.63 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
File comment: Trolleybus on the periphery of town center
trollrybus.PNG [151.79 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
File comment: 2nd Generation Oil tankers approach the export terminal
oil.PNG [354.65 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:42 am 
Chairman
Chairman

Sorry for the double-post, but I put together a little png to show the 40 trolley-vehicles in the new version of the set:

Attachment:
trolley parade.png
trolley parade.png [ 11.37 KiB | Viewed 331 times ]

Last edited by supermop on Wed May 17, 2017 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:49 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Great job so far!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Excellent! I like to see trolleybusses in OpenTTD, and ones that does NOT replace the tramways!

I only started to play with them, so I can't comment much on the balance (and balance compared to what? I have so many mods it's hard to see what is "a good balance. Original OpenTTD vehicles? :D) So far, it seems to be okay. I make money with the busses, with the flatbed trucks carrying steel, but not with the postal one, and I guess that the food ones I get are making a too short trip to be profitable so, seems that it's average.

I assume that they have been put together just to provide people with a way to test the trolley system of OpenTTD, but I hope you have future plans to give them a less bland look. I found them to be a little too generic to my taste, especially the busses and mailcars. Surely, coming with something original with the trucks is going to be hard, but the busses might take a more extravagant look.
http://englishrussia.com/2007/03/05/ele ... -russia/2/
But as I said, I guess there are merely for testing, so ignore that part :p

What I would like to see more is a feature you plan to do anyway, which are non-electric trams.
If I can suggest, one horse tram (passengers and mail) and M├ękarski steam-fireless trams types.
I know Road Hog provide steam tramw for NRT, but their mail and passenger steam trams are usually too large to be used when cities are still developping, so smaller tramways would be welcome.

I guess, Diesel-powered utility trams could come handy too once the Road Hog steam trams become unavailable (not that I care much as I use "vehicle never expire" but I like variety too :D and I will play again with vehicle expire).
I don't know if there have been? I guess, there gotta be some for maintenance or to pull tramways if power run out.