AgentSpeak AI feasibility

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dngrrng
Engineer
Engineer

AgentSpeak AI feasibility

Post by dngrrng »

Hi,

I've got a university assignment to create a multi-agent Jason system, and I was wondering how feasible it would be to create some OpenTTD agents.

Jason is a java implementation of an agent-orientated programming language (I know it looks and sounds horrible). I've done some brief searching around, and found that there's a java library for connecting to a server admin port (JOAN), and ServerGS lets admin port clients access the GameScript API. Before diving too far in I thought I'd ask if y'all think this is a feasible thing to try, or whether you had any thoughts?

Thanks
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: AgentSpeak AI feasibility

Post by jfs »

Not really feasible as-is, I think.
In OpenTTD all AI's run in-process via a special mechanism, they are not network clients.
The Admin Port feature does not allow you to be a playing client, it only lets you do administrative things.
It would be possible to make a network client that is actually an AI, but a network client for OpenTTD must contain the full game simulation, so effectively has to be derived from the original game. That would make integration of a Java based system a lot of work, since you would need to host a Java runtime inside OpenTTD and translate all the game data structures into data in the Java runtime.

Unless of course the system you're thinking of is a "visual" AI that would work by inspecting a picture of the game screen, as if it was a robot controlling a monitor/keyboard/mouse to interact.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”