[POLL] Which AI would be best as default?

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

[POLL] Which AI would be best as default?

Post by Wuzzy »

This is a poll.

If OpenTTD ever adds a default/pre-installed AI, which of the existing AIs should it be (if any)?

A default AI would be an AI that is shipped with OpenTTD itself rather than being a downloadable add-on. It will also be used by default when you start a new game in a brand new OpenTTD install with no add-ons downloaded and no settings touched. Keep in mind that the default AI(s) are the first AIs that new players get to experience, so choose wisely.

Vote for as many AIs as you like.

(See also: Why OpenTTD should have a default AI)
Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [POLL] Which AI would be best as default?

Post by Wuzzy »

My vote:
[+] Spoiler
My vote goes to SimpleAI.

Reason: It's apparently the most similar AI to the original TTD AI, minus the cheating. It's also very stable, it did not crash ever on me nor did anything very weird or annoying. It's a good AI for quick games. It is not super-smart or very threatening, the main reason I choose it because it works. The only real downside is that it doesn't support ships yet. I hope ship support will be added at a later point.

I expect from a default AI that it works well in most "reasonable" scenarios, just some competition to play against in singleplayer. It doesn't need to play super aggressive, but I do expect to do the basic task of connecting industries and cities. This often has the interesting side-effect that you can sometimes use secondary industries that your competition delivers to.
Just like in the good old TTD days. SimpleAI is the only AI I use in my singleplayer games, I have given up on the other AIs since they don't match my expectation, but mostly because of bugs. Also, "closeness to TTD" is kind of a big deal for me, too, given that that's the origin of OpenTTD. Basically my number 1 expectation from the default AI is that it adds reasonable competition to singleplayer similar to how it worked in TTD.

Most other AIs are unfortunately either unstable or too specialized, making them uninteresting for most "classic" OpenTTD games. But I have not tested all AIs too deeply, and I almost certainly overlooked some quality AIs. I am looking forward to what you have to say about your suggested AI.
RailwAI
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RailwAI »

I don't see the poll, but my suggestion would be too obvious 8) Ideally, every AI should be joyful to play with.
There are multiple AI that are intended to work with all modes of transport. For those that are stable and do not crash, what are you missing that you went for SimpleAI?
Last edited by RailwAI on 01 Apr 2021 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

The decision for which AI first time players will be subjected to unless they opt out is trivial to make. None at all. Trying to get used to singleplayer OpenTTD is hard enough as is. Having obnoxious AI getting in the way just exacerbates that problem.

Also not seeing a poll.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

There's no poll.
If there was, my vote would go to "OTTD doesn't need a default AI".

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”