AI assistant?

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

AI assistant?

Post by jimbob »

Is it possible to create a game script or ai to assist the player company? What methods are there for the player to communicate with it?

I'm more familiar with the ai api than the gs one so is it possible to create an interactive gui in a gs?
Real life transport planner
My projects:Link to my UK Scenario|Scenario Builder GS
Do check out my 3D unity transport game: transporter
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: AI assistant?

Post by odisseus »

That's an interesting idea, and it's definitely feasible. In fact, something similar can already be achieved with the current AIs.

You can use cheats to take control of an AI company in a single player game. This will effectively turn the AI into your ally. However, every AI has its own ideas about what to build and when, and it won't actually assist you in building according to your plans.

I can imagine a dedicated assistant AI, which would take hints from the signs or the rail structure, and would complete menial tasks, such as building long stretches of rails, or adding new vehicles when cargo supply grows.
jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jimbob »

Reading the api it looks like a gs can perform actions as any company which is half the problem.

Is there a good way to communicate with the script either via the console or gs story pages?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You could start the game in server mode, that way Player 1 can be populated by an AI and directly controlled by a GameScript. You can then join the server and take control of Player 1.
jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jimbob »

Okay so assisting the player's company is the easy half, how can the player and ai communicate easily?

I'd like to avoid reading and writing to signs if possible, can the ai read/write to:
  • chat
  • the debug console
  • a settings page?
  • a GS story?

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”