Street Traffic

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Street Traffic

Post by ccomley »

I quite like street traffic for generating random cars about the place, eye-candy really no major use though it does mean you can rely on the AI for city-growth and not have to run your own vehicles to seed it.

It seems to me one major improvement would be to set the cars up to service "at nearest depot" instead of keep returning to their mother-depot, then the cars could spread out all over the world (given interconnecting road routes). As it is they tend to cluster near their home town.

I know nothing of how to write or adjust AI apps - how hard would this be to achieve?
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Street Traffic

Post by GarryG »

You should be able to give those cars orders same as you do with Buses and Trucks. Some will even carry limited passengers.

The cars that SilverSurfer has made and the Eye Candy Road Vehicles you can do this.

Can also add the any depots to the Vehicles Orders .. so if buy at a depot in one town can send it to depots in other towns as well. At least this will get the vehicles out on the country roads between towns.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

I guess I can tinker by "playing as player 2".
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

You only need to add some depots around your world; And the cars, all them expand to cover the entire map.

And in relative to vehicles...
  • * Generic Cars is a option but this set replaces the first 6 OTTD's buses with his own vehicles.
    * Eyecandy Road Vehicles is a real good option.
    * And if you need more, a full set to cover your eyecandy desires and use, in addition, to move all type of cargo around your world, use any set from the Cars Series.
  • Cars Series have trams and cars, even monuments, and is perfect to create a real world in OTTD. Example, Cars Cars 37 adds 2 tourist buses from japan to his crescent list of real vehicles.
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

It seems that ccomley is asking for an AI that could set service in depot between cities. Currently there are two AIs: StreetTraffic1 and TownCars. The former is abandoned and buggy. The latter is developed by Zuu. In its thread he wrote that depots are destroyed after populating to the maximum to reduce the expenses to zero (depots pay maintenance). You could ask there for a new option to keep depots and build them automatically once per city.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

HGus wrote:It seems that ccomley is asking for an AI that could set service in depot between cities. Currently there are two AIs: StreetTraffic1 and TownCars. The former is abandoned and buggy. The latter is developed by Zuu. In its thread he wrote that depots are destroyed after populating to the maximum to reduce the expenses to zero (depots pay maintenance). You could ask there for a new option to keep depots and build them automatically once per city.

Ah! Not quite but close! I'll take a go at TownCars. The thing about StreetTraffic is the cars all try to stay close to their original depot, I presume because they keep popping in for a lube job. So they don't spread around the map. If there ARE no depots, maybe they'll spread!

You can always solve the problem of a bankrupt AI by sending it some money of course - depends why you're playing it. :)
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

Right there. StreetTraffic doesn't destroy the depots. When a vehicle is send out without any orders, it eventually return to nearest depot for service. TownCars destroy them, and vehicles keep moving around and can go the entire map as far there are roads connecting the cities. Note that if you play before the coming of non-horse vehicles, those very slow horses can cause jams everywhere if you only have articulated vehicles (they cannot overpass). That is the case with eGRVTS playing before ~1870, cause all horse vehicles are articulated.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”