AI Release Etiquette

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

4Droogs
Engineer
Engineer

AI Release Etiquette

Post by 4Droogs »

Hi All,

I am close to finishing the first version of my AI. I'd like to know what the accepted practice is for making the AI available for public download. I have done some testing on the AI myself but that is all. Is it accepted practice to make the AI available for download and rely on the community for testing? Or is it expected that some more rigorous testing would occur before it is released?

Thanks,

Ian
PropH
Engineer
Engineer

Re: AI Release Etiquette

Post by PropH »

Even the game is available with no warranties that it would work well. Just release it, if someone'll find bug, you always can update your AI with fixl
Sorry for my "great" English
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Pick a name and a short name and stick to it. If you like to change, change both. Short name may be perceived as unique identifier, but save/load relies on the AI name as well when looking for the newest compatible Ai installed that can continue from a save.

If you like to take it easy, you can release version 1 here and then after some feedback release it on bananas with an incremented version number. Easiest is to use an integer version number at all places.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

It may be obvious, but the others haven't mentioned it yet: it is generally good to create a forum thread for your AI when you release it. Almost every AI has a dedicated forum thread.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”