Which AIs are now actively maintained?

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RockyPapery
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Which AIs are now actively maintained?

Post by RockyPapery »

I tested 8 AIs:
Map: Temperate 1024x2048
Start Date: 1st Jan 1930
Total Duration: 67 ingame years

Inflation: on
Loan Interest: 4x
Recession: on
Maintenance: on
Running Cost: High
Construction Cost: Medium
Proportion of towns that will become cities: none
Industry density: minimal
Town controlled noise for airport: on
Town council's attitude: Tolerant
Enable smooth economy: off

Max Vehicle: 2500
Max Aircraft: 1000
Max Train: 1000
Max Ship: 1000

[--- No Crash At all ---]
- CluelessAI
- KrakenAI
- SimpleAI
- LuDiAI AfterFix
- NoNoCab
- RailwAI
- TransAI
- WormAI

[Additional Notes]
- LuDiAI AfterFix = dominates the entire game and the only company who builds aircraft without getting bankrupt.
- KrakenAI = Struggles the entire game, barely making any profits despite I gave him $60.000.000 money cheat.
- SimpleAI = Starts out decent. Builds aircraft in the middle of the game, makes profits. Recession happens, then bankrupted.
- NoNoCab = Starts out fantastic. Then goes stagnant in the middle til end of the game.
- RailwAI = Starts out decent. Then it just declines and bankrupted in the end of the game.
- TransAI = Starts unnoticeable. Then get skyrocketed passing LuDiAI in the middle of the game. Then goes stagnant in the end of the game.
- WormAI = The most profitable company early - mid game. Then goes stagnant til the end of the game. For some reason WormAI refuses to build aircrafts.
- CluelessAI = A decent AI trying to survive. Has decent profit but still worse than WormAI.
Attachments
Unnamed, Apr 8th, 1997.sav
(4.8 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
Unnamed, Apr 5th, 1997.png
(538.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
RailwAI
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RailwAI »

odisseus wrote: 09 Apr 2020 03:25If you need a rock stable AI, the best thing you can do is pick one of those that are still maintained, and report every crash you experience. Hopefully, the maintainer would find the time to fix the problems you find.
I have a question to the openTTD and BaNaNaS management:
Most bugs that lead to AI Crashes are rather easy to fix, and I am willing to spend some time for that. Is there a possibility for you to upload a new version to BaNaNaS of an unmaintained AI if I apply a small patch to it?
Wormnest
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wormnest »

RailwAI wrote: 13 Apr 2020 06:54 I have a question to the openTTD and BaNaNaS management:
Most bugs that lead to AI Crashes are rather easy to fix, and I am willing to spend some time for that. Is there a possibility for you to upload a new version to BaNaNaS of an unmaintained AI if I apply a small patch to it?
Not speaking for the OpenTTD team but as an AI author. This question has come up before and I think the usual answer was to contact the AI author if he wants to transfer ownership or to fork the AI (which I did for NoCAB) if the license permits that.

An idea I had was make an OpenTTD-AI organization on github and then add several AI developers that are willing and able to fix AI's that are not maintained anymore. These AI's could get a repository there. Then release a new version with a new name with OpenTTD-AI as author(s). That way if one AI developer loses interest another member of that team can take over.

Possibly AI developers that loose interest could even sign over their AI to this team, that way it would not even need to have a new name.

P.S. Not sure exactly in how far signing over ownership is possible or easy to do but I know it was mentioned in the past.
RailwAI
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RailwAI »

RockyPapery wrote: 09 Apr 2020 16:12 [Additional Notes]
- RailwAI = Starts out decent. Then it just declines and bankrupted in the end of the game.
Do you maybe have a savegame from before it went bankrupt? I now can only make a poor guess why its financial situations might have gone downhill, but I cannot verify anything.
RockyPapery
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RockyPapery »

RailwAI wrote: 16 Apr 2020 10:12
RockyPapery wrote: 09 Apr 2020 16:12 [Additional Notes]
Do you maybe have a savegame from before it went bankrupt? I now can only make a poor guess why its financial situations might have gone downhill, but I cannot verify anything.
Unfortunately, I don't. However, I kept an eye of each company, even the AI Debug screen and I exactly remembered the cause of the bankruptcy. Both railwAI (yours) and TransAI had a same problem on the train infrastructure. For some reason their trains were getting jammed (pesky signal), causing a massive loss and then goes in debt.

Notice that 4 trains stuck inside the depot while 2 other trains were waiting for free path.
Attachments
Unnamed, Sep 14th, 1958.png
(460.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
RailwAI
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RailwAI »

A few trains stuck in a depot may never be a reason for going bankrupt :lol:
RockyPapery
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RockyPapery »

RailwAI wrote: 18 Apr 2020 09:29 A few trains stuck in a depot may never be a reason for going bankrupt :lol:
I can assure the entire train get stuck on that track, rendering those 2 stations useless. It did bankrupt because those 2 were the major income for its company. I will post more detail on your AI forum since this is not a correct place to discuss.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Looking back on this topic I'm pretty sure the monorails-in-1889 AI that I wrote of in "Problems" is one described in 2015 as no longer maintained.
And what happened to the AI-comparison page on the wiki?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Baldy's Boss wrote: 01 Mar 2021 01:21 Looking back on this topic I'm pretty sure the monorails-in-1889 AI that I wrote of in "Problems" is one described in 2015 as no longer maintained.
And what happened to the AI-comparison page on the wiki?
The entire OpenTTD wiki was moved and refurbished a few months ago, and the link structure has changed. I have updated Brumi's post with the new link.
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/AI/Comparison%20of%20AIs
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Looks like the article is still as-of-2015 though!
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Yeah, the article is quite old... It would be nice if AI developers would update the page with information about their own AIs, but a man can dream :) Haven't had my "let's research about the latest AIs in OpenTTD" moments lately, despite seeing some new AIs made in the past few years :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's a wiki - if you see something that needs updated, just update it.
Jaume
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jaume »

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

RockyPapery wrote: 09 Apr 2020 16:12 I tested 8 AIs:
Map: Temperate 1024x2048
Start Date: 1st Jan 1930
Total Duration: 67 ingame years

Inflation: on
Loan Interest: 4x
Recession: on
Maintenance: on
Running Cost: High
Construction Cost: Medium
Proportion of towns that will become cities: none
Industry density: minimal
Town controlled noise for airport: on
Town council's attitude: Tolerant
Enable smooth economy: off

Max Vehicle: 2500
Max Aircraft: 1000
Max Train: 1000
Max Ship: 1000

[--- No Crash At all ---]
- CluelessAI
- KrakenAI
- SimpleAI
- LuDiAI AfterFix
- NoNoCab
- RailwAI
- TransAI
- WormAI

[Additional Notes]
- LuDiAI AfterFix = dominates the entire game and the only company who builds aircraft without getting bankrupt.
- KrakenAI = Struggles the entire game, barely making any profits despite I gave him $60.000.000 money cheat.
- SimpleAI = Starts out decent. Builds aircraft in the middle of the game, makes profits. Recession happens, then bankrupted.
- NoNoCab = Starts out fantastic. Then goes stagnant in the middle til end of the game.
- TransAI = Starts unnoticeable. Then get skyrocketed passing LuDiAI in the middle of the game. Then goes stagnant in the end of the game.
- WormAI = The most profitable company early - mid game. Then goes stagnant til the end of the game. For some reason WormAI refuses to build aircrafts.
- CluelessAI = A decent AI trying to survive. Has decent profit but still worse than WormAI.
I run usually with the same size map as this but some different settings...I think I only downloaded LuDiAIAfterFix after reading this but I've been imoressed with its performance.
One of my companies bought out a LuDiAIAfterFix that overtook it in the standings and another has just bought 75% of one that did the same (maxed out on my more stringent road vehicle limit)...I build only trains,the AI has been building only road vehicles,I have not seen it enter aviation but I've seen many other AIs doing great until they had the hubris to enter aviation...I think that many air-friendly AIs are not equipped for inflation being on.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I note from the OTVI thread that a new release is coming soon after some time.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”