Auto creation of vehicle groups

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Auto creation of vehicle groups

Post by 3iff »

In almost every game I play, I find myself creating the same vehicle group names by industry type (coal, grain, goods etc) with prefixes for different vehicle classes (R-coal, S-grain, A-goods for road, sea or air).

I've noticed that AI can create groups and wondered if it was possible to automate the creation of vehicle groups for me as a human player by utilising a script somehow.

Any idea if such a thing is possible at all? If so, I'd like to have a go at doing it.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Auto creation of vehicle groups

Post by Zuu »

In single player games you can use cheats to play in the same company as an AI. Thus it is possible to make an AI that do just monitor available vehicles without groups and put them in groups for you. Then start that AI, cheat into it and play your game as this AI.

Will only work for new games as you cannot start an AI in existing company slots.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Auto creation of vehicle groups

Post by 3iff »

Thanks for that.

I've seen that technique (cheating into an AI company) used in another script. I'm not sure that would be how I would want to do it. Giving the AI autonomy over my vehicle groups is too much power, I like to shuffle vehicles around on occasion.

I'll have to think about this.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”