If you turn on the Debug-Log (GS-Settings > Log level: 3) you can see how many Ticks something takes and a bunch of other useful information.
As for 'script took too long to save
'; I took a look at the source-code and Google to find out what's going on:
- Scripts have a very limited amount of time to do their save-routine and RCG simply exceeds this limit.
- The number of towns this happens at is not dependent on map-size or processor speed, but on the number of operations in the source code.
- This problem can be circumvented by pre-caching the town save-data (the Neighbours-GS
had a similar problem/solution).
- RCG does that with r127 (but not with v5), but still recollects all the data on save again anyway, ignoring the cache and causing the crash.
- I believe
this to be an oversight (the existing cache should be valid and exceptions to it can be found otherwise), but I am not 100% certain.
- If fixed, you should be able to save 10k towns and more
Also, I found one more bug:
- If you load from an auto-save, RCG will skip this month's calculations.
Mmh... You have a good sight on the code and your comments are very useful.
For the "too long to save" problem (which I never had but which was already reported at least once), it is, indeed, dependent on the number of operations in the source code, but since the operations are (about) the same for all towns, as first thought I consider it is dependent on the number of towns.
Going to watch on all of this.