[GS] RCG - A city growth GameScript for OTTD

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [GS] RCG - A city growth GameScript for OTTD

Post by Zuu »

You can construct your strings manually, but then you are out on your own. You get no translation support nor parameterized strings from OpenTTD. Eg. getting correctly pluralized cargo label by passing cargo id and cargo count.

You will need to concatenate strings and numbers and then pass that string to the API method just as you do for GSLog.Info. I hope it work for all places where GSText is expected, but it might be incorrect, so make a quick test before going to deep into this solution.

A different way around is to not display that many figures in the town window and put a more detailed report story book window. In this window you can have (almost) unlimited amount of paragraphs where each paragraph is a GSText. The window has scrollbar and you can also insert clickable references to map locations and goals.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
PochyPoch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PochyPoch »

Hey thank you for your answer :)

Yeah i managed to pass a string directly without GSText and it worked but then you lose text formatting which is a bit sad ^^ It took me some time to get around this issue since i am not familiar with the API and i was convinced i was doing something wrong.

I decided to go for a single long text property in the case of ECS industries with direct {NUM} parameters. I should be fine with 6 cat but i can still get rid of the stockpiled value if i need more.

It looks like this :

Code: Select all

STR_TOWNBOX :{}Cargo information (stockpile + supplied / required) :
{}{LTBLUE} * Citizens{BLACK} : {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} + {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} /  {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} (Passengers, Mail)
{}{WHITE} * Power{BLACK} : {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM} {BLACK}(Coal, Oil)
{}{GREEN} * General food{BLACK} : {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM} {BLACK}(Food, Water)
{}{RED} * General goods{BLACK} : {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM} {BLACK}(Goods, Gasoline)
{}{CREAM} * Construction materials{BLACK} : {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM} {BLACK}(Steel, Glass, Wood Products, Bricks, Cement)
{}{YELLOW} * Luxury goods{BLACK} : {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM}{BLACK} / {ORANGE}{NUM} {BLACK}(Vehicles, Gold, Tourists)

At first i wanted to create a String instead of 3 {NUM} for each category and build it myself but it seems you CANT pass strings as parameters (unless it is a reference to another text-property-id which is exactly what i want to avoid).

It looks like this :

// IS THERE A WAY TO PASS A STRING INSTEAD OF A NUMBER ?
{}{LTBLUE} * Citizens{BLACK} : {CUSTOM-STRING} (Passengers, Mail)
By the way i found AI docs, GS API docs, Squirrel docs, wiki help, forum help, but nowhere i could find a proper definition of that format. I saw somewhere you can use {CARGOLIST}. So do you know a place where i could see all possible keywords, colors, formatting options for the game window texts ?

---

As for what you proposed with the StoryBook i had heard of it but it is not really practical here since every town has its own stats. It would be nice to be able to chain a few GSText below Town Window too.

In Novapolis CB servers, the town you pick get a custom "CB" button at the bottom of the window which provide more detailed infos. I suppose this new window can accept different GSText lines.
I didn't found any other examples of this and i dont have access to the script code. Do you know a way to directly add a button to the Town window ?

---

Now i am trying to see if there is a way i check local industries production at least for power to replace Oil/Coal cargo by a MegaWatt output. But i dont see the methods i need in GSTown or GSIndustry. Is there a way to determine which town an industry belong to with the GSIndustry object ? Or a way to get local industries list from a GSTown object ? I would like to avoid checking name strings for obvious reasons.

---

Thanks a lot !
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

PochyPoch wrote:As for what you proposed with the StoryBook i had heard of it but it is not really practical here since every town has its own stats. It would be nice to be able to chain a few GSText below Town Window too.

In Novapolis CB servers, the town you pick get a custom "CB" button at the bottom of the window which provide more detailed infos. I suppose this new window can accept different GSText lines.
I didn't found any other examples of this and i dont have access to the script code. Do you know a way to directly add a button to the Town window ?
It is possible, and I have documented ideas about this probably on FlySpray or on the wiki, but I have not got around to spend spare time on implementing those ideas yet.

In a first iteration you would need to add a new field for story book pages which can bind them to a town or industry which will cause them to not show up in the story book. Then add a button on the town/industry window that make the story book window show this otherwise hidden page. A later iteration could change it so that the story book can open multiple times for the same player. One normal instance but then one for each of the special pages and in that case change the title and disable the page selector and you get something which to the player look like a town details window but actually in the source code is the story book window.

PochyPoch wrote:Now i am trying to see if there is a way i check local industries production at least for power to replace Oil/Coal cargo by a MegaWatt output. But i dont see the methods i need in GSTown or GSIndustry. Is there a way to determine which town an industry belong to with the GSIndustry object ? Or a way to get local industries list from a GSTown object ? I would like to avoid checking name strings for obvious reasons.
There is GSTile.GetClosestTown(TileIndex tile) which you can use to lookup the closest town of an industry.

However, from what you try to do, another alternative is to use GSCargoMonitor to monitor the oil/coal cargo delivery on the town assuming there are no other industry accepting the cargo than the power plant. Or if you only want to monitor specific industries, don't monitor on the TownID and instead use GSTile.GetClosestTown along with industry type to filter out the industries you are interested in and only monitor cargo delivery to them. The benefit of using GSCargoMonitor is that the accepting industry doesn't need to produce any cargo as you will monitor the input and not the output. Also GSCargoMonitor will get you one value for each company.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
krinn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by krinn »

PochyPoch wrote:So do you know a place where i could see all possible keywords, colors, formatting options for the game window texts ?
http://hg.openttd.org/openttd/trunk.hg/ ... bles.h#l39
nogo support most of them.

ps: you should start your own thread
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

krinn wrote:It is easier than you think :)

1/ why it bug on index 8 cannot be found

line 206: while (this.tgr_array[i] > 0)
tgr_array size is 8, so when <i> = 8 the bug is coming, <i> keep getting ++ in the loop, this works because when you reach the 8eme elements (tgr_array[7]) you set it to 0, so <i> couldn't reach 8, but if tgr_array[7] > 0 then <i> could get increment to 8 and bug trigger

[...]
Hello krinn ! :)

Thank you for your comments.

I indeed saw that the problem came from there. Data are saved before the last array element is reset to 0. And your solution should be able to fix it. But the point is, in the entire function which handles town data update, there might be other similar flaws, also resulting from the save occurring at the same time. This is probably not the only one. Thus, I think that before touching anything, it'd be better think to an overall way to avoid a mix of old and new data when saving.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

PochyPoch wrote:Hello ;)

This is my first post here but i play TTD since it came out when i was a young boy ! So first i'd like to thank all the people that made this game amazing across the years. And of course thanks to you Keoz for editing/making this script !
Hello PochyPoch. Glad you like it. :)

Same answers to your questions:
PochyPoch wrote:I read on the readme file some expert (or not) settings exist that i can't find in the gs config in openTTD. I also tried to read all the code and it seems you don't check those settings, so what about them ? "Merge categories", "Expert Settings", etc.
Those expert settings are only valid in the last revisions, which are still not in Bananas. The version 4 (which is in Bananas) still does not include them. You can download it from the initial message of the topic.
PochyPoch wrote:My initial intent was to customize a little your script settings to my likings. For example tuning which cargo goes into which category (i use ECS All Vectors), and maybe if the script allows it even split existing categories into more numerous ones. For example i'd like to have the power plant delivery for power purposes (coal/petrol) in a new category.
[...]
So basically what would make me happy is being able to tune the categories number/names/cargos. I NEVER tried to edit/read a script for OpenTTD but i'm an experienced developer so i can tell your script should be very easy to understand if i was familiar with the language & the openTTD APIs. I will try to look into it.

What i am saying here is that i know there is a huge gap between code that would allow a developer to add/edit cargo cat and a finished configuration interface. I don't expect of you to create it for me, but maybe you could tell me if you think i have a chance to successfully edit cargo cats in the code, or if you have some spare time care to explain where i should look into the code to do it ?
It's quite "easy" to edit all of those categories. If you are a developer, it should not be a problem. Have a look in the file cargo.nut, and more especially the function DefineCargosBySettings(). There, I include an explanation about internal datas, which can also be tweaked. The best ist, you have a look at it, and if something isn't clear, you tell me.
PochyPoch wrote:I see in code comments you are french (or you forget a french comment from a previous fork ?), and i am too so maybe i can send you a PM ?
Comme tu veux. ;)

Edit. Some additions.

I've seen that you runned into all of those complicated problems about string formatting in the Townbox. Thank you Zuu for your comments.

About strings formatting, you can find some documentation
- here: https://wiki.openttd.org/Strings
- and here: https://wiki.openttd.org/Format_of_langfiles
- again here: https://wiki.openttd.org/OpenTTDDevBlac ... al_strings
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Eints also documents the string commands of game scripts: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/eints/ni ... TEST/docs/ last two items. The "Strings and languages" section gives a gentle introduction.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Version 5 is now out.

Downloadable on Bananas, as usual.

This version includes a lot of new features. Here:
- new: add several expert settings to fine tune calculations
- new: add a setting to disable growth rate text under town names
- new: add a setting allowing to merge some categories
- new: add a StoryPage with cargo category informations
- new: add support for YETI - needs testing and feedback
- new: add a method for checking whether industry setting is consistent
- change: only display required categories in townboxes
- fix: disabling original arctic and tropical cargo requirements

One of the main changes is the introduction of a bunch of new settings, allowing to better configure the script. You can reduce the number of categories, better define requirements and cargo impact, etc. All of them are described in the readme.txt.

Have fun !
Attachments
RCG-Settings.png
RCG-Settings.png (23.79 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
RCG-StoryBook.png
RCG-StoryBook.png (43.25 KiB) Viewed 9814 times
My screenshots thread.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

romazoon wrote:experienced a crahs with RCG.

i have just reloaded the game and after like 1 month, script is crashing. but i m not complaining, the script worked perfectly for 150 years :D
Ok. This bug should be fixed now. When you save, if the towndata are being updated, the script will now use previous month's data until the process is completely finished. I also added a StoryBook page to warn the user in case he's saving while towndata's processing (start of each month).

Espérons. :P

Here you can pick the last Revision 125.

Update (4/1/2015): Revision 126

Update (6/1/2015): Revision 127
My screenshots thread.
Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hafting »

Are cities supposed to shrink?

I am playing arctic, with FIRS arctic basic industry and cargodist. Difficulty=100. Cities are shrinking so much that train profits are dropping from year to year!
The game started in 1945. City sizes at two points in time:

City            Size 1948   Size 1952    Change
Hakabugen             228         244       +16
Køykjølen             665         424      -241
Rogkjølen             389         447       +58
Kragerø               435         343       -92
Vestvåg               627         583       -44
Hammerkjølen         1089         991       -98
All except the two last are connected by a rail line, with 3 trains that each bring a mix of mail, passengers and food. The last two are islands, and have ships bringing passengers and mail. There is no congestion - I transport all there is to bring. Well, "Kragerø" was mildly congested for a while, before I could afford the third train. "Køykjølen" with the biggest drop has been well served all the time. It is on the middle of the railroad, so the trains arrive from both directions. They get more passengers than they need. So why the negative growth?

Food transport got a late start - but only a few cities were big enough to demand food anyway. There have been a few AI players, but they haven't touched my cities yet. I use a newgrf for "reduced passenger payment" so the game won't be "all about passengers". But it is only supposed to halve the payment for passengers/mail - the amount transported is the same I think.

Am I doing something wrong here? Are populations supposed to drop like this? Or is there a bug? I thought "bad service" could stop growth, but not reverse it? And my service isn't that bad anyway. I can provide savegames if that is of any help.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Hi Hafting, thank you for reporting this.
Hafting wrote:Are cities supposed to shrink?
No, they are not (though this could be implemented as feature). You're not the only one reporting this. I thought the reported problems came from normal fluctuation, but... I need to search into this, since I have not the problem, but I'm also using some house GRF's which may being preventing this.

What version of RCG are you using ?

Also: may I have some savegames ? Eventually the one of 1948 (is this the starting year ?) and the one of 1952 ?

Thanks.
My screenshots thread.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

There is something wrong with ECS (1.1.2) and RCG script.
Warning window appears, that industry set doesn't match with game initial list.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

I think you're either using the outdated Construction Vector, or Pikka's Brick Chain, because there are cargos like Bricks, Cement and Lime.

ECS Vectors 1.1.2 are:
Town
Basic
Wood
Agricultural
Chemistry
Machinery
(Houses and Industries Addon are optional and work fine with RCG)

Unfortunately, the Construction Vector doesn't work with RCG.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Thank you arikover, I did not knew that construction vector is outdated.
However, still same error occurs, with ECS 1.1.2, with and without Industry addon or TTR:
http://149.156.194.203/~mczapkie/Train/ ... Gfail2.png
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

McZapkie wrote:Thank you arikover, I did not knew that construction vector is outdated.
Well maybe 'outdated' is a bit strong. Let's say it's not part of ECS 1.1.2, and thus not recognized by the RCG script.
McZapkie wrote:However, still same error occurs, with ECS 1.1.2, with and without Industry addon or TTR:
http://149.156.194.203/~mczapkie/Train/ ... Gfail2.png
That's odd: in your screenshot, all the cargoes are present, but I only see 3 cargo categories, where you should have 5 with ECS vectors.
Did you check the RCG parameters and select 'ECS: All Vectors' as industry set used? (that's the only downside with RCG: it doesn't detect automatically the industry set, you have to set it yourself)

Other than that, I can't see what's wrong. At the moment I'm playing with RCG and ECS together, and I don't have that problem..
Lafiir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lafiir »

Very nice script, I think I will use it for my future games.
I also made my own changes to support OpenGFX+ Industries, and thought I'd share them.

function FillCargoIDList() //define all possible cargo initially

/* OpenGFX+ Industries */
case(12):
	::CargoIDList <- ["PASS","COAL","MAIL","OIL_","LVST","GOOD","GRAI","WOOD","IORE",
			  "WATR","VALU","FOOD","STEL","CORE","FRUT","DIAM","PAPR","GOLD","RUBR"];
	break;
function DefineCargosBySettings() //fill categories by demand, since all except paxmail can be disabled

case(12): //OpenGFX+ Industries
	::CargoCat <- [[0,2],[],[]];
	foreach(c in [5,9,10,11,15,17]) {
		if(GSCargo.GetCargoLabel(c) != null)
			::CargoCat[1].append(c);
	}
	foreach(c in [1,3,4,6,7,8,12,13,14,16,18]) {
		if(GSCargo.GetCargoLabel(c) != null)
			::CargoCat[2].append(c);
	}
	::CargoCatList <- [CatLabels.PAXMAIL,CatLabels.G_GOODS,CatLabels.G_IND];
	::CargoMinPopDemand <- [0,1000,4000];
	::CargoPermille <- [60,45,25];
	::CargoDecay <- [0.4,0.2,0.1];
	break;
function CheckInitialCargoList() //skip check of disabled ogfx cargo

local ogfxi = GSController.GetSetting("industry_NewGRF")==12?true:false;
// Comparing actual list to original list
for (local i = 0; i < 32; i++) {
	if (ogfxi && cargo_list[i] == null) continue;
	if (cargo_list[i] != ::CargoIDList[i]) {
I have also four bug reports:
- The option for merging categories throws a fit when there are only three (might confuse new players when using basic cargo-sets)
- I think your growth formulae divides by zero on exactly 50% delivered cargo and can get negative numbers when supply_impacting_part is lower than 50
- Monitoring never stops (even after 365 days) because last_pax_delivery always gets reset, no matter if you supply something or not
- lowest_town_growth_rate only gets applied when there is less supply than supply_impacting_part, otherwise it is ignored

Edit: I also had some shrinking in tests. Two ~6.000 pop cities dropped down to ~4.000!!
I could maintain their population before, with only Paxmail regularly at 100% (rest 0%), but when delivery was paused and grow-rate went from 190 to over 1k it shrunk. Some test-runs it went only to pop. 5k, some stayed at 6k regardless, so it wasn't consistent; but definitely more than could be accounted for with building-replacements.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Hi people,

Just for information, I'm not forgetting the issues everybody's raising but I'm very very very busy at the moment because of my work. I should find time to work on all of this in some weeks.

Just some fast answers:
- Lafiir: thank you for the bug reportings.
- McZapie and arikover: I included ECS but I never played this set extensively, nor I know it good. I'll have a better check on this.
- and definetely I'll work on this population shrinking problem. Curiously, I never had that. But I'm essentially playing some not vanilla house GRF.
My screenshots thread.
Kev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kev »

i get a warning message saying 'the industry set defined in the GS settings doesn't match with the game's initial cargo list

RCG seems to clash with 'North American Renewal Set (NARS) 2.03' as i can run both NewGRF's individually with no issues but as soon as i try to have both running together i get the warning

i have attached the cargo categories and warning message

i am running openttd 1.4.4, FIRS 1.4.3 and have them both set to FIRS economy also running superlib v38

i see the requirements for RCG are openttd v1.4 and superlib v38 - are these the minimum requirements or the exact requirements?
Attachments
warning.png
(307.53 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
cargo categories.png
(299.93 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Lafiir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lafiir »

You get the warning because NARS adds an extra cargo labelled GEAR (for regearable locomotives), so it's no longer the expected cargo list of FIRS.
Though, in this particular case, it merely uses up an empty slot and doesn't change or replace anything of FIRS, so you should be able to safely ignore it.
Kev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kev »

Lafiir wrote:You get the warning because NARS adds an extra cargo labelled GEAR (for regearable locomotives), so it's no longer the expected cargo list of FIRS.
Though, in this particular case, it merely uses up an empty slot and doesn't change or replace anything of FIRS, so you should be able to safely ignore it.
Thanks, i am new to the game so getting used to all the downloaded content

i have now started using NARS 2.5 with the regearing removed

Additional comments 17th Feb

i have been having the script crash and give the message 'script took too long to save' as soon as i hit the save button, this happens for a number of different maps i have tried to save soon after the maps have been generated. I have tried using 4096x4096 and low number of towns and high number of industries.

I have done some thorough testing on both v1.4.4 and trunk r27153 with just RCG and FIRS v1.4.3 configured

i have found the script fails as soon as the town number exceeds 2436 on r127 and 2937 on v5 of the script. I created a map with 5000 towns to ensure this was not a limitation of my hardware and the game saved fine. I have a laptop with dualcore 2Ghz and 3GB. I am aware the game will run slower as the map transport network evolves.

Are there any limitations within the script? Also, do you have any recommendations on the number of towns i should be creating using the script on 1024x1024, 2048x2048 and 4096x4096 maps?

Thanks

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”