[NoGo] Neighbours are important

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [NoGo] Neighbours are important

Post by Zuu »

When there are more than one cargo type having the same town effect, look in the story book. It will list all cargoes that would then contribute to the same stockpile.

And yes, what decides which cargoes it use is what town effect FIRS attach to its cargos. A limit to this script is that the goal part as mentioned above doesn't use town effects not present in non-NewGRF games for that climate. This could be improved on with some work. But it would still be tied to the town effects. That will not change with the current GameScript API. Not here saying it is impossible to make goals for specifc cargo labels, but it involves more work from the script author, something I'm not interested in. There are already about 10 different town growth scripts of which some has taken that route.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

Storybook for the same game. If petrol has the same town effects than goods, why I still get two different categories?
Attachments
stockpiles, trimmed png
stockpiles, trimmed png
Dibujo.PNG (42.16 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

If the script says the town needs petrol to grow the city, delivering goods will not meet the growth criteria. FIRS Petrol does not have the same growth effect as FIRS goods.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

In the FIRS docs you can see that Petrol has the town effect GOODS and Goods cargo has the town effect WATER.

So in temperate and toyland, Neighbours are important will only use petrol for town growth.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

That explains a lot about why cargoes were/weren't used. I didn't think to look at the FIRS documentation.
TomasHA-SK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomasHA-SK »

Hi :)

How I am supposed to grow this town larger, when it wants GOODs, but doesn't accept it? I started growing the town, when it had only 92 population. First it wanted passengers, then food. But now it wants GOODs, which is impossible to deliver. There is only one building accepting GOODs with 1/8. I know I can fund the city to grow, but I play without that setting. I would like to grow cities only with passengers, mail and cargoes, not with money.

Thank you :)

EDIT: When funding industry - General Store, it has solved the problem :)
Attachments
NAI.png
(805.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

Zuu wrote:In the FIRS docs you can see that Petrol has the town effect GOODS and Goods cargo has the town effect WATER.

So in temperate and toyland, Neighbours are important will only use petrol for town growth.
Only in "A Hot Country" and "Extreme" economies. It seems than "basic" economies doesn't have industries producing petrol... That makes NAI unfriendly for FIRS...

@Thomas: you can destroy some houses to fall below 300 and hope the new ones also accept goods...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

... or FIRS unfriendly to NAI by not providing any cargo with the town effect GOODS as available in vanilla.

Not blaming FIRS here or asking Andy to change, just proving another perspective.

I don't plan on updating NAI anytime soon, not because I'm against it, but because I'm not much motivated to do so. If you like to fork or port what you like in NAI to another script you are free to do so.
DicRoNero
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DicRoNero »

TomasHA-SK wrote: 30 Jan 2017 09:30 Hi :)

How I am supposed to grow this town larger, when it wants GOODs, but doesn't accept it? I started growing the town, when it had only 92 population. First it wanted passengers, then food. But now it wants GOODs, which is impossible to deliver. There is only one building accepting GOODs with 1/8. I know I can fund the city to grow, but I play without that setting. I would like to grow cities only with passengers, mail and cargoes, not with money.

Thank you :)

EDIT: When funding industry - General Store, it has solved the problem :)
Yeah, that's a severe oversight and caused me to abandon quite a few towns. Now I play another campaign and had to temporarily enable funding to circumvent this pesky situation where the city demands 1 crate of good while accepting none.
Zuu wrote: 02 Feb 2017 21:40 I don't plan on updating NAI anytime soon, not because I'm against it, but because I'm not much motivated to do so. If you like to fork or port what you like in NAI to another script you are free to do so.
Still that's a great script and I've registered solely to say thank you for it :)
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

Hi Zuu, the NAI Gamescript is compatible up to FIRS 3. However FIRS 4 or AXIS are not. Is there any chance that the script will be updated at any point?

If not, do you (or anyone for that matter) know of any comparably challenging gamescripts that could be used?

Thanks for any update :)

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”