Chopper - Helicopter AI

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Chopper - Helicopter AI

Post by Kogut »

bug
Attachments
Przechwytywanie.PNG
(130.58 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Wormnest
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wormnest »

I just did a little test run starting in 1960, no NewGRF.
It starts out ok but then favors building airports too much. It should check first if it can build helicopters before building new airports.
Later I also saw in this thread that it prefers having plane speed 1/1 while I was using the default 1/4. After changing that performance improved.

I haven't checked all airports but it also seems to only use one helicopter per route. In 1977 it has reached the aircraft limit of 75 and at that time has 149 stations which is indeed only one airport less than needed for one helicopter per route which seems not very efficient.
orielis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orielis »

kamnet wrote: 02 Jul 2016 19:53 Just curious if anybody is still using this AI. :)
I just loaded a slew of AI's that looked interesting, and this was one of them. In my first game, it used Chopper and it worked, but didn't make much money -- didn't go bankrupt, just had a smallish but steady profit.

The game I'm running now started in 1850, which is just a wee teensy bit early for helicopters. So naturally Chopper gets picked as one of the AI's, and it is continually surveying the field, finding it cant build, and going back to sleep.

Which raises the question -- while I presume it would start working either in 1920 or in the 1970s, that's a long time to waste an AI slot. Is there a way to remove a company from a running game? Without breaking the game, that is.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

orielis wrote: 05 Oct 2022 22:47 Is there a way to remove a company from a running game? Without breaking the game, that is.
Type 'stopai <company number from 1-16>' in the console. You can then type 'startai' or 'startai <ai name>' to start another AI up in its place.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

PikkaBird wrote: 06 Oct 2022 05:06 Type 'stopai <company number from 1-16>' ......
Aren't there only 15 companies in the game including the human player (who I'm assuming is #1)?
And, If that's the case, then shouldn't it be "stopai <2-15>" ?

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
orielis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orielis »

Thanks for your help. If it happens again, I'll give that a try.

As it turned out, Chopper somehow managed to purchase half a dozen heliports, which cost a huge amount of upkeep each year. Since it couldn't buy helicopters, it went bankrupt fairly rapidly. Don't know just why it changed from snoozing to buying stations, but it was a fatal move.

One other AI, Convoy I believe, bought a bunch of carriages but placed terminal stations instead of the drive through (all the horsedrawn carriages are articulated), so it couldn't actually build any routes. That company also went bankrupt. It actually helped me out quite a bit by building very expensive roads that I couldn't afford, letting me set up more routes.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Whatever - company numbers starting from 1, instead of from 0 as it is in some other contexts. :)
orielis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by orielis »

PikkaBird wrote: 06 Oct 2022 05:06
orielis wrote: 05 Oct 2022 22:47 Is there a way to remove a company from a running game? Without breaking the game, that is.
Type 'stopai <company number from 1-16>' in the console. You can then type 'startai' or 'startai <ai name>' to start another AI up in its place.
Well, Chopper went bankrupt but then another one showed up in its place. This worked (yes, the player is #1), and the stage is cleared for Chopper to make another try.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”