One Way Roads?

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zutty
Director
Director

One Way Roads?

Post by Zutty »

Hi devs,

Can we have the ability to build one way roads? I assume this would be implemented as a road type.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself as I haven't even finished my basic AI yet, but I'm going to put in the request now so the devs have time to mull it over!

I like the idea of building dual carriageways, mainly for aesthetic purposes, but also for the slightly increased capacity they have over normal roads.

I have done some experimenting with some crazy end-game situations where the AI has built 500 buses, most of which go to a large central city. I let the AI build its network, then switch players by cheating and seeing how I can optimise things. It has helped me learn a few things.

I can handle the traffic at stations by creating multi-stops, but at present I can't handle the enormous volumes of traffic. Dual carriageways seem to help alleviate very very long tail-backs (3-4 screens long!), though admittedly not by much. One way roads also help deal with queues
around bus stops. YAPF seems not to be sensitive to traffic (at least I think so) so it can lead to deadlock, but if buses can be routed in nice circular patterns then it can largely avoid that.

I suppose complex road planning done by AI to control the flow of buses guided by another AI will just be a case of the blind leading the blind, but if we at least have the ability to START then we might be able to come up with something!

Plus I think this would be good practise for creating duplex railway lines at a later stage in the project's development. I have always been trying to think in terms of ideas that I can apply to rail later on.

Thanks.
PathZilla - A networking AI - Now with tram support.
Misha
Engineer
Engineer

Re: One Way Roads?

Post by Misha »

Will the developers reply on this post?

I also like to have the ability to build one way roads.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Misha wrote:Will the developers reply on this post?

I'm not an official dev. A function for one-way roads is planned, but other things have priority at the moment. If you can think of a good function (or modifying an existing one) and a description, please post it here and I'll write a patch for it.
Zutty
Director
Director

Post by Zutty »

Yexo wrote:I'm not an official dev. A function for one-way roads is planned...
Ah, brilliant! I realise there must still be plenty of big features that the devs want to focus on, but its nice to know that this will be coming eventually. Thanks Yexo.
PathZilla - A networking AI - Now with tram support.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Misha wrote:Will the developers reply on this post?

IF you would have read the rest of this subforum you would know we are pretty active involved ;)

One way road is, as Yexo said, planned, but currently we have our hands full on the saveload stuff ... takes time ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Misha
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Misha »

Thanks, I think I have read 1/4 of the subforum and I saw that there are indeed a lot of activities. :)
I just wondered whether people really cared about it, or that zutty and I are the only two. Such roads are not necessary of course for a good AI, but I think it could give more traffic control.
Yexo wrote: I'm not an official dev. A function for one-way roads is planned, but other things have priority at the moment. If you can think of a good function (or modifying an existing one) and a description, please post it here and I'll write a patch for it.
I have no idea yet how to do that. I am pretty new here. ;)
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Misha wrote:(..)
I just wondered whether people really cared about it, or that zutty and I are the only two. Such roads are not necessary of course for a good AI, but I think it could give more traffic control.
(..)
What the human can do, the AI should be able to do, even if just one user would ever want that ;) That is the lovely thing about NoAI :) So if you have any more demands .. let us know :) (just remember that a human should be able to do it too ;))
Michiel
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Michiel »

TrueLight wrote:So if you have any more demands .. let us know :) (just remember that a human should be able to do it too ;))
In that case :P I'd like to be able to ask for the current value of a vehicle :)
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Michiel wrote:
TrueLight wrote:So if you have any more demands .. let us know :) (just remember that a human should be able to do it too ;))
In that case :P I'd like to be able to ask for the current value of a vehicle :)
Okay, I forgot to tell you .. please make a new topic for every request :) Keeps things clean and readable for everyone ;) Nevertheless, will see if I can add it for you :)

[Edit]
Done :) In next binary (which will be built in 3 hours).
Michiel
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Michiel »

TrueLight wrote: Done :) In next binary (which will be built in 3 hours).
I think a :bow: is appropriate here :D

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”