[NoGo] Tutorial ("Beginner Tutorial" in bananas)

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [NoGo] Tutorial ("Beginner Tutorial" in bananas)

Post by planetmaker »

BlueDeath wrote:Back from the holydays is a good time for starting...

I am a bit confused as the chapter_plan.txt is written in javascript.
Err what? That's a plain text file with a description of what shall be done / what has been done - but nothing fancy, less any java script.
You might have gotten the whole website, if you just curled that URL. Try http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/gs- ... r_plan.txt instead of the fancy web view of the repo linked earlier.
BlueDeath
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlueDeath »

Oh, ah, I see - thank you
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Just so you're aware BlueDeath, I've been editing the English strings over the course of this project. I'm fully intending to complete my work on them this summer, and Zuu and I have had some brief discussions on their style. If you have anything to say on them, please do and I'll try and incorporate your feedback when I get round to the editing.
hajo4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hajo4 »

I played thru the tutorial that came with v1.4.2, and it is a nice introduction to OpenTTD.

Some notes:
* shared orders: it might need some text on how to fix orders that were only copied, but not shared.

* Subsidies: in the news, there came up two of these.
So, it would be nice to have 1-2 pages talking about them in the tutorial.
Is it possible to control those subsidies for a scenario ?

* Trains: I understand this is still WIP. There are 2 coalmines and a powerstation on the map.
My guess for an introduction to trains would be to have the player look at them,
select the best of those for building a track, and just build 2 stations, and a single rail between,
then build a depot, buy a train and set up a route.

This looks pretty much like the actions taken in the airport-chapter...
What else would be needed ?

Maybe a new chapter "Trains 2", for building a second track to the other coalmine,
how to connect both tracks at the powerstation, and advice about using 1 or 2 trains here.

Also, some more new chapters:
* "Advanced trains / networking", about running more trains, and signals.
* "Finance" - how to read the yearly finance-report
* Capacity management / "Cargo Flow Legend" - looking for (missed) business
--HaJo
Solarsoul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Solarsoul »

Today I have been checking out the Beginner Tutorial ingame..
and see that the train part still needs to be implemented.
Is this project still moving forward?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

The project is at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ai-tutorialai the repository isn't touched recently by the looks of it, but the author is still around. If you want to add more chapters, you're welcome
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

The project got stalled a bit by me trying to refactor it to use the story book. To completely switch to it, I need to also improve the story book API with some way to put interactive elements in the story book. Eg. buttons to select chapter. Also in many cases the current next page-button (continue) do trigger button highlight and the story book currently does not inform scripts when you click on next page.

Currently I don't work that much on this, but if you like to add a chapter I'm happy to include your contribution.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Solarsoul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Solarsoul »

I wish I posesed the skills to do so.
I hope someone will pick it up.
It really is essencial since all these new players the Google Play store racks in.
They havent the slightest clue how to play this and lose interest.
If this tutorial would be finished and implemented in the release.
That would solve that and grow the comunity.
Everybody knows that you need to keep feeding a town to make it grow right? :P

Cheers!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

It's a myth that you have to know what you're doing. In fact, most people that make things here are doing that because they don't know, and they want to learn it.
You only have to bring an itch that you want improved, and enthousiasm. In your case the itch would be improving the tutorial.

You may succeed, that's great.
You may fail, but so what? We still have the current tutorial, and you have learned a few things. No harm done, and you gained experience. You just found there is much more to learn!

Another myth is that there is a line between "us", people only using the things, and "them" or "someone" that makes things for us.
This line is not there, it's all one community. Just by you being here, you are part of that community.
The only difference is how you spend your time.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Bobberette
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bobberette »

I know this is years old and maybe nobody is supporting it anymore but I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to go back to an old style transport game. I took the logical step of starting with the tutorial. I made it into the ship portion of the tutorial where I had to build the canal. I tried repeatedly to build the canal but the game did not recognize the completion despite my best efforts to follow directions placing the canal at the designated location.
Next I tried skipping to the next part of the tutorial only to have it inform me that I cannot do the next part without completing the prior part and would I like to have an AI complete the prior part for me. Yes. Please do. And I get a popup saying there was a script error.
I've been left stuck unable to go through the tutorial with either method.
Help...?
Canal.PNG
Canal.PNG (177.11 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
AIFail.PNG
AIFail.PNG (134.81 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
DeuteriumTSM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeuteriumTSM »

Bobberette wrote: 16 Sep 2021 18:21 I know this is years old and maybe nobody is supporting it anymore but I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to go back to an old style transport game. I took the logical step of starting with the tutorial. I made it into the ship portion of the tutorial where I had to build the canal. I tried repeatedly to build the canal but the game did not recognize the completion despite my best efforts to follow directions placing the canal at the designated location.
Next I tried skipping to the next part of the tutorial only to have it inform me that I cannot do the next part without completing the prior part and would I like to have an AI complete the prior part for me. Yes. Please do. And I get a popup saying there was a script error.
I've been left stuck unable to go through the tutorial with either method.
Help...?
Canal.PNG
AIFail.PNG
I'm having this exact same problem! I've had to make an account here just to try and fix it, please help Zuu!
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Unfortunately I don't have the time to fix it. If anyone want to take over ownership of the tutorial I can help you out in transferring bananas ownership or unlist the tutorial if it helps.

As noted above it would make sense to modernize the tutorial code to use the Story Book and if I don't dreaming it up I recall that someone now have implemented buttons in the Story Book. Effectively creating a 2.0 of the beginner tutorial.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
DeuteriumTSM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeuteriumTSM »

Zuu wrote: 10 Nov 2021 22:19 Unfortunately I don't have the time to fix it. If anyone want to take over ownership of the tutorial I can help you out in transferring bananas ownership or unlist the tutorial if it helps.

As noted above it would make sense to modernize the tutorial code to use the Story Book and if I don't dreaming it up I recall that someone now have implemented buttons in the Story Book. Effectively creating a 2.0 of the beginner tutorial.
What was the latest version of OpenTTD that it DID work on, just so I can play through it on that version, then go to the newest?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

It still works. I tried it on 12.1 recently. But it doesn't cover building railways and also uses a custom message instead of the Storybook, which would be easier to code as well as for players to use.
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

I downloaded it to the Openttd 13.4 version, but it doesn't show up in the Gamescripts selection, so maybe it doesn't work anymore. I just can't choose it.
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

You don't use the tutorial script by itself, you need to download and play the Beginner Tutorial scenario. This is where the script gets used.
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

I know that there is a game related to it, but the script was always displayed in the list of usable game scripts before. But now it is not displayed there, so it cannot be selected. And it is downloaded from Bananas. That doesn't mean it needs to be fixed, it's outdated. I'm just stating the real situation.
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”