Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:01 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

That's unexpected. I'll see if I can reproduce it. Didn't see it while testing but maybe I missed something.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:31 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Well, that turned out to be a nice little fix for a lunchtime. It wasn't a game-breaking issue but it is annoying when you see those warnings in the debug console. Updated the translation files and fixed - new versions on BaNaNaS and attached to the first post. Warnings are gone for me now, but shout up if there are still any lingering issues or if you see anything odd happening with the town text.

And now, back to the day job...

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:11 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I dont have passengers shortfall in town window. No GRFs I use.

Attachments:
Bez nazwy, 2000-01-01.png [803.17 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:30 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

My fault; when I was poking the language file I disturbed something which shouldn't have been working... and of course it stopped working. Corrected version uploaded to BaNaNaS, and I'll update the first post as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:40 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Fantastic GS. I love the industry controls, as I'm the sort of person who hates leaving industries unserviced, but they always just keep on popping up so fast! This way it keeps pace to me.

I reckon a setting for whether to treat cities according to the same rules as towns would be in order? You could mirror all the town parameters for cities, with cities having a higher population range and growing more easily when cargo is delivered at capacity?

And, I want to clarify -- if I reach my city limit, I can grow the limit by delivering any town cargo to it? Or do combinations all need to be delivered together? On an older version of the GS I worked hard to deliver all the town cargoes to a city -- once I did, it said "fund new buildings to grow town"! Which I could have done anyway, I know that works.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:12 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Thanks, glad to hear you're enjoying the script. Any cargo will work - the script tracks the amount delivered and grows the limit accordingly. So if you keep delivering goods, then the limit will keep going up (gradually if it's a small trickle of goods, quickly if it's a huge amount).

The reason you eventually get "Fund Buildings to grow town" is because it's the only option left if you're already transporting all passengers and mail, and delivering all types of town cargo, and the growth prospect is still "none". If your growth prospect is "Good" or better then usually you don't need to do anything more, though. Maybe there's an argument for not trying to display any hint when the town already has excellent growth prospects and all passengers/mail are being transported.

I'll have a think about the cities. I liked the idea that a city would still sprawl uncontrollably to keep some of that challenge from vanilla OpenTTD where your suburban train line is now surrounded by skyscrapers and desperately needs the expansion it's got no room for... but maybe there's a possibility for an interesting mechanic there that players can tune according to their preferences.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:04 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Thanks for the reply! I've just run into an issue on scenario editor -- with the script running I create towns, and there's no ViV stuff in the town window. The same when I then play the said scenario -- I've run it for a few months and it stays with the default town window. When I found new towns in an actual game they immediately go to the ViV window, but the ones I added in scenario editor don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:08 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Out of interest, does this happen for towns created one by one, towns created using "many random towns", or both? It looks like the script isn't getting an ET_TOWN_FOUNDED event in the scenario editor, and so never adds them to its internal list. I could have sworn I had things working in the scenario editor before, but maybe there's been a regression since then. (I haven't yet tried to see what conditions I can reproduce this in.)

That said, I did run into a similar problem with industries: I couldn't find a set of events that was guaranteed to catch an industry opening (ET_INDUSTRY_OPEN doesn't fire for player-funded industries, if I recall) which is why the script ends up rebuilding its industry list every three months rather than trying to keep track of what's opening or closing. I could do something similar for towns, although that'll be a bit more complicated as we have to keep track of which ones we've already added so we don't wipe out the internal population counter. Or maybe detect when we're in the scenario editor and don't save the town array, so when you load the game for the first time it's treated the same as a new map. (I prefer this option if possible, because it means the population counters will respect towns you've expanded while creating the scenario. Not sure without investigating if the game script framework will let me do that, though.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:00 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

This bug should now be gone - both creating a new scenario, and also loading an existing game into the scenario editor, editing it, and saving. You may still not get the Villages is Villages text in the editor, but once you start a game it will begin updating the towns as with a normal game.

New version 9 uploaded to BaNaNaS and in the first post.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:04 am 
Engineer
Engineer

How does the "Manage industries (experimental): On" affect industry types that only become available after a certain time with sets like FIRS? Example: I start a game in 1850 and only on later decades oil rigs will be able to pop up. How would manage industries affect the oil rig appearance?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 am 
Engineer
Engineer

GuilhermeJK wrote:
How does the "Manage industries (experimental): On" affect industry types that only become available after a certain time with sets like FIRS? Example: I start a game in 1850 and only on later decades oil rigs will be able to pop up. How would manage industries affect the oil rig appearance?

They won't appear except when they normally would.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:57 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Is there a way to control how quickly a city/town grows when it is actually growing? Like does the amount of cargo being delivered have an effect on how fast the town grows, or does the script only control whether it grows or not? Besides this question, I love the script! It really makes my game more challenging and easier to manage without unrealistic metropolises. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:19 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

The script only affects whether towns are allowed to grow or not; once they're allowed to grow, they'll follow all the standard TTD rules - so you can influence the growth speed by the "Town Growth Speed" setting in the game settings. I think Desert/Snow towns will still need food/water in order to grow as well.

(For the technically inclined, I'm just flipping between GSTown.TOWN_GROWTH_NONE and GSTown.TOWN_GROWTH_NORMAL depending on whether the town's population is bigger than an internal "how big should this town be allowed to get?" value.)