Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:23 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I really like this script, but I experience an unexpected behaviour:
To fulfill my major city growth goal, I connected the little village to some big "2500+" cities, to transport some passengers and mail.
The little village is now growing nicely, but all the connected 2500+ cities started shrinking and keep doing so. One of the Big Cities is down to less than 200 now. I wonder if this is some sort of a feature (I never transported any food to the Big Cities, and only a few passengers) or a bug?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:14 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I believe that's a feature of the original Renewed City Growth algorithm (which has been kept as is). Cities that trigger the growth algorithm (by having passengers delivered) often do it by first destroying something and then building something bigger. If you're only delivering minimum stuff, perhaps the destroying stuff is happening but the building something isn't triggering because the deliveries are too low. In my games, I've been delivering passengers/mails both ways, so as my major goal city grows, it has more passengers/mail to deliver outbound to my feeder cities, and these have always grown as well (be it more slowly however as I usually don't bother with food et al to the feeder cities).

If your major goal city is starting as a village and doesn't have enough passengers/mail to keep the feeder cities going by itself though, maybe do some links between the feeder cities to sustain them until your major goal city can do it by itself. Hopefully that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:40 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I did some experiments now:
I unloaded all newGRFs except FIRS 2.1.3 and a train set (UKRS2). I started a new game and made a connection between two cities which were not too far apart, both about 2000 inhabitants. Then I bought two trains (both passenger+mail). I tried different start dates for the game and fiddled with the difficulty setting in the GBCG-Script Options.

I cannot make this work. Even with a difficulty of "1", the cities start shrinking as soon as the first train arrives at the station. At low difficulty, the shrinking seems to stop at about 1000 inhabitants.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:43 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

If you have time, I wonder if the same behaviour happens if you use the original Renewed City Growth script rather than the Goal Based City Growth script. As downloading RCG gets the library installation stuff correct for GBCG, if it's fine using RCG, then revert to GBCG and see if it now works. (?)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Also, it might be useful to double check that the FIRS GRF economy parameter setting is identical to the GBCG AI/script economy parameter setting. If they're not identical, the game will be telling you to deliver these things, but the script will be checking for different things. (Just in case.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 am 
Engineer
Engineer

I tried the RCG-script. I couldn't use the latest version, since the download-link doesn't work. I used standard V5, which has some problems with FIRS 2.1.3. but I guess these problems only affect industries/cargos.

The problem seems to be the same. I actually managed to keep the cities at a somewhat constant level (very volatile though, it kept shrinking and growing again). But the cities were very close together, which probably helped a lot.

I start wondering if all this behaviour is intentional, and I am just a very bad player, that I find it so hard to keep a city from collapsing. It doesn't feel right though, that people start to leave the city as soon as a train arrives. Personally, I don't know many people who moved house by train. :D