The Nations Game MkII

Want to let off some steam? Come and join in our forum-based games.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Forum rules
No consecutive posting in word games. If starting a new game, please check to see if there is already a similar game - such topics are likely to be locked.

Which Map should be used?

YNM's most recent entry
33%
Zakos' most recent entry
11%
Emperor Jake's work in progress
56%

Total votes: 9

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: The Nations Game MkII

Post by Pilot »

Poll is sorted, hope it's okay for you
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Here's an update on my map. I will post a version that shows the biomes as well, but this one outlines the continents. I used bits of the real map, plus a lot of it is hand (mouse)-drawn. I tried to go for a more southern-hemisphere heavy map and interesting continent shapes. See if you can recognise bits of the real world in there :wink:

EDIT: Updated with biome version and final(ish) map. Rivers have yet to be added

EDIT2: Now with rivers! :D Should be just about complete now, tell me your thoughts on it.
Attachments
fantasybiome.PNG
It's a bit rough, but it's for reference only.
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
fantasy.PNG
The playing map.
(180.53 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
APDAF
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by APDAF »

Hmm there is an entire landmass which is almost uninhabitable, and too many deserts IMHO.
Visit my screenshot thread--> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54118
If you want to have a go at War Thunder, PM me, I have an invite code.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Well, so we eat cactus then ?

Deserts are common around 23.5 latitude and tundras by 66.5 latitude. Granted those mountains should generate some heavy rains due to airmass uplift, and a huge desert due to lost humidity... The continent on the right should get the most desert while the one on the left should get huge rainfall due to the mountains. Consider India and South America, compare with Africa IMO...

Landform looks good otherwise.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I like the addition of fault lines, nice touch.

I'll expand on APDAF's comment and say that I think there's too much desert in general. Keep in mind that most of the world's desert area exists in the same latitude; it's not all about proximity to the coast. EDIT: YNM said this while I was posting

Also, there's land at the very bottom of the map, so there should be land all across the bottom too (because technically, the entire bottom represents the south pole in this type of projection).
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Ok, so the general consensus is too much desert, I tend to agree. I'll convert a bunch of it to savannah/plains.
APDAF wrote:Hmm there is an entire landmass which is almost uninhabitable,
Just like Antarctica or far north Canada IRL. The top coast can be inhabited, then it would be similar to Siberia inland, and then become more like Antarctica as you go further south.
Also, there's land at the very bottom of the map, so there should be land all across the bottom too (because technically, the entire bottom represents the south pole in this type of projection).
I'm not sure about this, but what if the south pole itself was directly on a coast? It's all covered in ice anyway so it doesn't really matter too much.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Okay, I've redone the biomes, it looks much better now. Also included is a layered Gimp project (xcf) for easier editing and if you want to apply the layers over the playing map.

EDIT: I have created a new topic! May we please continue discussion of the new game there?
Attachments
fantasybiome.PNG
Now with latitude/longitude lines and other stuff
(2.71 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
fantasy.xcf
GIMP file
(9.47 MiB) Downloaded 226 times
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Can we start in like.. I dunno, 1985?

I really want to see the later stages of the game, the earlier stages have been done into the ground at this point.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

We might be going even earlier. Check the topic posted above your comment.

Return to “Forum Games”