Mornington Crescent

Want to let off some steam? Come and join in our forum-based games.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Forum rules
No consecutive posting in word games. If starting a new game, please check to see if there is already a similar game - such topics are likely to be locked.
donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Mornington Crescent

Post by donchatryit »

@A321pilot, I live in Edinburgh!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Yes, you may do but you have to carry on from where the person before u left off, which is Manors Station on the Tyne and Wear Metro.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Being that we've put donchatryit into nid, I will move from Manors to West Bromwich Central on the Midland Metro, as per the 1932 Squares rule which allows players to move from system to system provided it has a similar name.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

By which rules are we playing exactly?
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread
Dave

Post by Dave »

Most rule sets are compatible, however a clause introduced at the 1987 Mornington Crescent Convention at Charing Cross established that you may not interchangeably use the Courthouse Set from 1903 or indeed the more modern Boat House rules from 1979.

Other than that, you're pretty much free to play to any rules you like.

Flickr

donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

I move from West Bromwich Central to Crewe by train after having left nid due to the loophole in section d.1 of paragraph A of the Fernwich-Allsham rule set. Yes, I know it was a typo but it reads how it reads.
Dave

Post by Dave »

An excellent move, dear sir, and I thank you for it.

We'll try and nip back to London, so I'll take a fast train to Euston based on a classic Mainline Railway Manoeuvre first established in a particularly boisterous weekend game that occurred in the Summer of 1931, famous for a catastrophic breakdown in relations between British and French players when a Frenchman tried to use a Reverse Diagonal move to the Champs-Élysées.

Flickr

donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

The MRM? Really? You surprise me, sir. I was expecting you play the patented Dave W twist and take a cab to the nearest airport and make this a European round.

I take the cab from Euston to Kings Cross.
Ha! Let's see someone beat that. (I am assuming, of course, that the No Straight Lines rule from the France vs England vs Scotland triangualr test in 1989 is still in force.)
bowatatoy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bowatatoy »

Wow. I never thought of that. Such good move, Donchatryit. But that is easily beaten if you move to Picadilly Circus. Hehe, I thought you might have overlooked such blunder. Bear in mind though that the Payne-Schwarzenovski Variation of 1965 makes any adjacent or reverse diagonals impossible. Let's see if this move is worth the risk.
Hello! I like bacon. :)
donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

Under the Westmoreland rules, players who do not announce their move in the form "I take the [method] (from [place])* to [destination] forfeit their move and land in Nid. NB: the section in () is optional, unless the last move was forfeited. Ergo, with bowatatoy in Nid, I use the Najdorf exception to the need to take contemporary forms of transport and take the stagecoach from Kings Cross to Liverpool Street via London City Airport.
bowatatoy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bowatatoy »

I'll walk from Liverpool Street to St. Pancras. With Green Mornington Crescent in play, this move counts double. St. Pancras is a wild, as stated in the Dover Convention of 1943, popular for being played in the Mornington Crescent Championship of 1998 with challenger McAlpine against defending champion Hemingway.
Hello! I like bacon. :)
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

From St. Pancras I take a train to Leicester!

This was one of the first moves of mr. Hoaf Hearted, former Morning Crescent champion(1901, 1956, 1988, 1989, 2011)
donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

Backtracking Buckethead? I take the National Express bus from Leicester to Victoria.
Dave

Post by Dave »

No, no, no.

You wouldn't make a move like that in a game like this! Absolute suicide! Let's get back on track... From Victoria I move to Baker Street, following the rules of the Penrhyndeudraeth Clause in the 1974 Welsh Crescent Games.

Flickr

Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

At Baker Street I board a train in the wrong direction, then I fall asleep on the train and wake up at Moor Park.
donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

Dressed as a chicken, I take the train from Moor Park to Kings Cross/St. Pancras. Dave W knows all about the old Chicken Manoeuvre, I watched him play it at the Irish Open in 2003. Oh and sorry about the Worcestershire sauce. Did you ever find the goat or the postman?

Oh, happy days!

By the way, as Dave proved then, the Northern Line is out of bounds for three turns, due to a grammatical error in the Houndslow/Green Park rules, 1972. Pity that, I bet some of you thought I had made a bad move, just like Dave did earlier. That explains why he only came 8th in the Paris Cup and a pitiful 11th in the aforementioned Irish Open!
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

From St. Pancras railway station, I intend to take my regular suburban service home but accidentally end up on the wrong train. I wake up at Clapham Junction.
Dave

Post by Dave »

dontchatryit is quite right. A pitiful performance in the Irish, when I was neatly outwitted by a Scottish player using a Mapplebeck Horizontal move that left me in permanent nid.

Anyway, from Clapham Junction, we zip all the way over to the ExCel Centre on the Docklands Light Railway. A textbook Dockland Jump.

Flickr

Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

Is there a list of rules anywhere? Your jumps don't make sense to me.

Anyway... I try to take the DLR to Bank. However, there is an incident blocking the track and the train is rerouted. I get off at Stratford.
donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

Is there a list of rules anywhere? Pfft! There are, at last count, 371 sets of rules, 14 manuals of play, 57 directories of allowable jumps, turns and manoeuvres, 7 situational logic sets and, I think, around 1004 records of exceptions, exemptions and bars. The only tournament to ever have a referee who knew them all by heart was the 1967 Olympiad and Veterans Invitational. Of course, since then, there have been 15 more recensions, 8 edited versions and an incident with an irate librarian. Still, not to worry, most players take it on trust that we all know what we are doing.

I take the Central line to Moorgate. That should liven things up a bit.

Return to “Forum Games”