Mornington Crescent

Want to let off some steam? Come and join in our forum-based games.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Forum rules
No consecutive posting in word games. If starting a new game, please check to see if there is already a similar game - such topics are likely to be locked.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mornington Crescent

Post by Nite Owl »

Invoking the Christmas Day only Santa Klaus Clause of 1904 which states and I quote "You may move to any station provided you stop and have a good meal nearby and that said station is named the same as what you are going to eat." I am therefore forced to end my turn at Turkey Street. I also get three extra gold tokens provided I do not choke on my food, get too inebriated, or vomit from either of the first two.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
DeletedUser6
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser6 »

That would place you in Nid - as the action was done on Dec 26 - and as you should have posted a video as proof.

Anyway - I hop on a train to London Liverpool Street- and take the Circle line to...

Baker Street - thus invoking the 221B rules - making all mainline stations wild - and diagonal stations mandatory. (according to the Encyclopaedia Morningtonia)

I warned you...

Matthew:out
Yay! I'm back! Did you miss me?

I thought not.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

I will accept your move due to your invocation of the 221B rule set (one of my personal favorites) but I do object to being placed in Nid on two counts.

1) You have failed to take into account the time differences across the globe. Not everyone lives by GMT so that it was December 25th when my move was made according to the clock on my wall.

2) The 1904 Santa Klaus clause was written well before the invention of video and as such there is no provision in it requiring such documentation. It does however contain the following proviso in the chapter entitled Code of Conduct; from subsection 6d I quote: "As it is a given that only persons of the most gentlemanly manner would even attempt to play said game all invocations as to whereabouts and actions taken at said whereabouts shall be taken at their word lest we devolve into lesser men than that which our standing grants us. Should an honest error or misinterpretation of the rules be made (as determined by the consensus of those in participation) than the standard amount of time shall be spent in Nid. Should a blatant violation of the rules be made by some unscrupulous bounder (again as determined by the consensus of those in participation) then not only will the violator be placed in Nid for triple the standard amount of time but they will also be barred from entry to their respective club for a period not to exceed a fortnight."
DeletedUser6
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser6 »

I grant you freedom. Run, quick, hide!

I thought not.
donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

Given that new players may be added under Rule 317B (Hunter/Partly Recension of the Greek Translation of the Algonquin Round Table rules), I will invite myself to the game and call:

Euston Road
(without platform 3)
Absolutis
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Absolutis »

I walk to Regent's Park station down the road, then catch a train and get off at Willesden Junction. Then I catch a train to West Hampstead, since the M05 rule states clearly (in amendment 4d) that moves from Regent's Park to Willesden Junction are not allowed on the 5th day of any month, IF the year has a date like e.g. 20. 11. 2011 or 19. 12. 1912, but the move is allowed if you move from there to an interchange station on Overground.
ImageImage
donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

I take the underground to Kings Cross and move to the mainline railway station.

Under rule 17.4a of the Prentwhistle Almanac of Mornington Crescent and article 1.1.7.6.6.5.4.3 of the Revised edition of the Abridged edition of the Algonquin Round Table, I call Underground Strike and send everyone current on underground stations to Nid.
Absolutis
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Absolutis »

Unfortunately, the same M05 rule states (in amendment 9c), that on the same days (referencing to amendment 4d)moving to King's cross is illegal if you don't state the interchange station (except if you move straight to King's Cross, then it is always illegal) so we are in West Hampstead. In fact, I'll travel to Euston.
ImageImage
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

By playing the Musical Chairs rule, I hereby move to Ochanomizu on the Chuo-Sobu Line platform, with its fantastic departure melody!.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

I play the Double-Entendres(Shortcodes) rule, and advance to Berry Brow (BBW)...
I was social distancing before it was cool 8)
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015
DeletedUser6
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser6 »

JamieLei wrote:By playing the Musical Chairs rule, I hereby move to Ochanomizu on the Chuo-Sobu Line platform, with its fantastic departure melody!.
And I invoke the musical statues rule - causing the next person to get stuck at a broken signal for nine hours with no food or drink - as the onboard shop wasn't filled...

I'd love to go to Sheffield, but for the 221B ruleset so...
Penistone
dontchatryit wrote:I take the underground to Kings Cross and move to the mainline railway station.
Two points:
1) Forbidden due to 221B ruleset. Deducted three gold tokens.
2) Have you ever actually been to King's X? I was sitting at the station platform 8 - 10 minutes 'till train departure and I still didn't know which platform the train was on...

I thought not.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

OTTDmaster wrote:
JamieLei wrote:By playing the Musical Chairs rule, I hereby move to Ochanomizu on the Chuo-Sobu Line platform, with its fantastic departure melody!.
And I invoke the musical statues rule - causing the next person to get stuck at a broken signal for nine hours with no food or drink - as the onboard shop wasn't filled...

I'd love to go to Sheffield, but for the 221B ruleset so...
Penistone
Using the NSFW clause (2001) I head for Scunthorpe
I was social distancing before it was cool 8)
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015
bowatatoy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bowatatoy »

SUCK! Due to geckens interrupting the line at Harlesden, we try to walk along the Metro Line hoping not to encounter any trains. We are now in Amersham.

Also... If we we would continue being such sheblurns... You are violating ruleset 356-A section 3 Article 12 which says that if there is a terminus (L&Y Penistone Line - forsaken line) next to the current station, eating burritos are not allowed. You must walk through the tube WITH NO OYSTERS! HOW PATHETIC!

This game confuses me... ?(
Hello! I like bacon. :)
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Constrained by the 1982 convention on station names, particularly subsection 485b entitled "If The Station Name Sounds Like It Could Be That Of A Law Firm You Must Stop There" I can only move one stop in a Southernly direction to the Chalfont & Latimar station.
bowatatoy wrote:This game confuses me... ?(
Why?
bowatatoy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bowatatoy »

I'll take the Metro Line which leads us to... St Pancras!

If you walk to King's Cross to take the Northern Line to Euston, you are violating the Common Sense ruleset section 3 article 1 that states that you cant go to a station which is followed by the current station i.e the preceding station since there are no way to get there unless you walk the railway... which is dangerous. The moves in King's Cross are Angel, Farringdon, Caledonian Road and pretty much everything following King's Cross.

But since we are still in St Pancras, there are lots of other stations other than King's cross.
Hello! I like bacon. :)
DeletedUser14
Tycoon
Tycoon

Mornington Crescent

Post by DeletedUser14 »

Mornington Crescent is a spoof game, featured in the BBC Radio 4 comedy panel show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, which satirises complicated strategy games.

The game consists of each panellist in turn announcing a landmark or street, most often a tube station on the London Underground system. The apparent aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent", a station on the Northern Line. Interspersed with the turns is humorous discussion amongst the panellists and host regarding the rules and legality of each move, as well as the strategy the panellists are using. Despite appearances, however, there are no rules to the game,and both the naming of stations and the specification of "rules" are based on stream-of-consciousness association and improvisation. Thus the game is intentionally incomprehensible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington ... %28game%29

Contrary to the original game I will be giving a handful of rules to play by, just to keep things organised :)

Steps
The game is played by 'steps', which can be taken with any means of transport, available or realisticly available. Steps may be no longer than 50km (30 miles), unless travelling by plane, crossing the english channel etc.. and may only use one mode of transport

Gameplay
- No double posting, or posting multiple steps per post.
- A player must make sure at least 1 day (24 hours) or 2 posts are between his posts
- The last step (to Mornington Crescent) must be made with public transport - not including taxis
- Once in London, you may not leave London again

Vetos
- Players may block any step taken, if they react within two posts and/or 4 hours
- A veto must be co-signed by another player within 2 hours
- Once a veto is being discussed no steps may be taken
- The player who's step was veto'd must wait 24 hours or 2 posts (whichever comes first) before making another post

Vetos may be issued for any solid reason you can think of: snowstorms, disliking train travel, sightseeing.. you name it and it's possible! The only requirement is that you must give a solid reason, "I don't want this" or "Im veto'ing because I can" is not a valid reason. Ofcourse we encourage funny comments, reasons etc.. so I'll try to keep track of a "comedy factor" for people who regularly play this game :)

Game Mod
I'll be acting as game moderator, making sure these rules are followed.

We'll start where I study: The Erasmus University Rotterdam (Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam, Netherlands) and ofcourse our goal is to reach Mornington Crescent tube station in London.

Good luck!
Je suis le patron et je vous emmerde!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Bus to Rotterdam Airport.
(Is this how you do it?)
DeletedUser14
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser14 »

Yeah sure, but you could make up a story around it: EG: I took a bus to Rotterdam Airport. The driver was smoking marihuana, only in Holland. It did make the ride a lot more exciting though!

I'll take a plane at Rotterdam Airport, unfortunatly the only London-bound plane is full because there's a clown convention in London tomorrow so I buy a ticket to Brussels, Zaventem Airport. As it turns out this flight is also overbooked with clowns on their way to London, fortunatly the stewardesses manage to fold them away nicely in the overhead luggage compartments.
Je suis le patron et je vous emmerde!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Brussels Zaventem Airport was also full of Clowns and men offering to sell you drugs. I go on a murder run to get rid of them all and the Police give me a £15,000 reward. This gives me enough money to buy a Plane ticket for a nice Holiday in Barbados. (Don't know why lol)
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

However the plane has a fuel shortage and is rerouted to New York, to the joy of the passengers.
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread

Return to “Forum Games”