A Map of Portugal

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
silentchickpeas
Engineer
Engineer

A Map of Portugal

Post by silentchickpeas »

Portugal.scn
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 591 times
Here is my best try at a map of Portugal. I've seen some people in the past had the intention to do this, but because they haven't done so, I tried it myself.

I attached the map, hope the upload works. I'm not familiar with the OpenTTD forums (and not an experienced player in OpenTTD).

Details:

- The map starts in 1975, the year after the dictatorship collapsed.
- It includes continental Portugal, the Azores archipelago, the Madeira Archipelago, and some spanish territories, all the way from Ferrol to Cádiz. It also includes a slice of Cornwall (UK), Britanny (France) and Casablanca (Morocco), mostly for boat fun. :D
- Major rivers included (Tejo, Douro, Sado, Guadiana, Minho, Lima, Cávado, Ave, Mondego), some smaller ones too.
- Biggest cities included, lots of towns and smaller villages, I couldn't place them all, but I tried populating the landscape in a balanced way, so that the urban areas of Lisbon and Porto are much more populated than Alentejo and the Trás-os-Montes region, for example. The map holds almost 2 million people. I tried to portray the north with many small towns all over the place, and the south as more scattered cities, a conventional way to describe the country.
- There were SOME attempts at placing city bridges in a realistic fashion. I didn't include the Vasco da Gama bridge in Lisbon because it's so big that I thought it would be best to leave it to the player, maybe one can sort a more efficient design.
- About 90% of industry was randomly placed. I chose randomly placed because I was afraid to make the map unplayable somehow.
- Most geographical features of interest are labelled (rivers, islands, mountains).
- Realistically placed lighthouses (surprisingly, Portugal has many, I hope I included all of them). :lol:
- A tree wall around Portugal tries to vaguely represent the frontier with Spain. Heavily forested zones tend to represent natural reserves, swamps, woods. :]

See some pictures here:
[+] Spoiler

LISBON AND SUBURBIA:

PORTO AND SUBURBIA:

AVEIRO:

PENEDA-GERÊS:

ESTRELA MOUNTAIN:

ST. VINCENT CAPE AND SAGRES CAPE:

FARO:

MADEIRA:

AZORES:

GALIZA:

This took a while. I used a heightmap, then smoothed it ingame. I couldn't find a good heightmap of Azores and Madeira islands, so I had to draw them manually. In general, I went about placing cities while looking at google maps on my phone, so it's not perfect, but I tried hard. Inland cities were hardest, but everything by the coast should be correct. If I felt like a zone was empty, I would just zoom in and find a town name to fill that void. So you might see some real life village with 5 people that is represented. I've been working on this since the pandemic broke here about four months ago, it was both tedious and fun.
ruivasconcelos
Engineer
Engineer

Re: A Map of Portugal

Post by ruivasconcelos »

Hi, this is a great job!
I've started some time ago a map of Portugal, but really is a boring work... Fantastic you made it!
I will try, usually I play with rail systems, and I will send some feedback.

Once again, thanks (obrigado!)
thiagofjv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thiagofjv »

Looks gorgeous!

I will download it.
I have tried to do a more realistic version of Brazil but it's really hard to focus and finish because it's a lot of work.

Thanks for this!
Padshance
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Padshance »

excelent, ive been playing it without well placed towns... now, ill do it again but correctly :D

és grande! :D obrigado pa!
Brunio7007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brunio7007 »

Este mapa é compatível com versão mobile?
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Brunio7007 wrote: 14 Oct 2023 17:06 Este mapa é compatível com versão mobile?
Please use English in public posts and replies. You can use any language in private messages as long as the other person understand you, but you should make your public post understandable for everyone on this internationalised forum. :wink:

Google Translation:
Is this map compatible with the mobile version?

The answer should be YES as long as your device is up to date. It was made in vanilla, but with a relatively large size (2048*4096), while my "old" iPhone 8 Plus could not load anything larger than 2048*2048...
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”